Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Favourite new features  (Read 9341 times)

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite new features
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:17 pm »

I can use trees to climb over streams and rivers now!  Swimming is for chumps.

You can also get a running start and jump over them like a pro.

I hope there will eventually be cities with multilevel buildings so I can scale them and jump from rooftop to rooftop with stolen goods.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 04:58:38 pm »

I like the attack modifiers - using a quick or wild attack when against a well-defended opponent, or a precise slash to sever the head of an unconscious foe......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

The new stealth , climb and jump are great fun to roleplay some infiltrating/spying character

Once the game will crash much less (because unfortunately it does a lot now) when retiring fortress and go back in adventurer mode, then go back into fortress, it will be some great fun to design some stunt/parkour tracks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:01:41 pm by Robsoie »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »

I like the subtle behaviors I've been observing in fortress dwarves when idle or on break. It's rare to see them just sit around in a meeting area forever, most are actively milling about the fort, as if looking for something to do. Some individuals prefer to actually go outside and take a walk, maybe climb a tree. Granted, that can lead to trouble later on, but for the early years I played in it was perfectly acceptable and gave me something to look at while I waited for stuff to get done.

There was also the sleepwalking incident, but I haven't seen that again. A blacksmith fell asleep at the forge and proceeded to move to the nearest bed while already sleeping. If it's a bug, I propose that one stays.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Uncertain

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Process & Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:07:55 am »

There was also the sleepwalking incident, but I haven't seen that again. A blacksmith fell asleep at the forge and proceeded to move to the nearest bed while already sleeping. If it's a bug, I propose that one stays.

That would be great if it worked in reverse, so that maybe one dwarf in a hundred regularly conks out as normal and from there gets up, collects a sock, wanders to the food stockpile, drops the sock, stumbles back to his bed with a slab of meat in hand and later wakes up very confused and missing a sock. And then opens a cold case about who's been stealing all his clothes.

I haven't played for more than about a season, but I've already seen a couple new things that amazed me.

I genned a world to play a Dwarven adventurer in, only to find that the only remaining bastion of the Dwarven civilisation was a ruined fort based in the extreme North-East of the map, separated from the rest of the world by an expanse of freezing glaciers and tundra, so I had nowhere to source an adventurer from. Instead I had to reclaim the ruin and try to expand the civilisation from there, which is a noble goal to have.

My favourite, though, is the new thoughts/status screen info, which allowed me to have fun before the game even began by giving me seven flimsy, clumsy, weak, emotionally turbulent dwarves to reclaim this ruin with. One of them was deeply conflicted with himself in a very reasonable way, but seemed stable despite it, while another was inflamed with hatred, a nervous wreck, hated people and had no idea why.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:29:28 am by Uncertain »
The next dwarf grabbed the goblin thief, by the eyeball with his eyeball, (blinding the goblin in the process)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 09:09:58 am »

I like that time moves, makes the world feel more alive

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 09:28:12 am »

the time moving + simulated world stuff is the big one for me.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:04 am »

I haven't played for more than about a season, but I've already seen a couple new things that amazed me.

I genned a world to play a Dwarven adventurer in, only to find that the only remaining bastion of the Dwarven civilisation was a ruined fort based in the extreme North-East of the map, separated from the rest of the world by an expanse of freezing glaciers and tundra, so I had nowhere to source an adventurer from. Instead I had to reclaim the ruin and try to expand the civilisation from there, which is a noble goal to have.

My favourite, though, is the new thoughts/status screen info, which allowed me to have fun before the game even began by giving me seven flimsy, clumsy, weak, emotionally turbulent dwarves to reclaim this ruin with. One of them was deeply conflicted with himself in a very reasonable way, but seemed stable despite it, while another was inflamed with hatred, a nervous wreck, hated people and had no idea why
Can you post the seed for that world?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 10:17:41 am »

I can use trees to climb over streams and rivers now!  Swimming is for chumps.

You can also get a running start and jump over them like a pro.

I hope there will eventually be cities with multilevel buildings so I can scale them and jump from rooftop to rooftop with stolen goods.

Even if they make multi level buildings, you can't climb smooth stone walls.  :(

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:14 am »

ladders, obejects, and creative use of elevations to jump up?

Also I really like:
The new fear/discipline system
combat changes
and moving world with claims and positions getting appointed properly after death and stuff

Uncertain

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Process & Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:20 am »

Can you post the seed for that world?

I presume I have to export the XML data of the world in Legends mode to do that, but I can't abandon the fort to enter Legends because it now crashes at 'Loading local animal populations' whenever I try to enter Fort mode. ;_;

Curse you, local animal populations.
The next dwarf grabbed the goblin thief, by the eyeball with his eyeball, (blinding the goblin in the process)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 11:16:10 am »

Not the XML, just the params. I don't suppose you made a backup?

Edit: Maxim 41: "Do you have a backup?" means "I cant fix this".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:23:05 am by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 11:24:14 am »

Inevitability of everything is my favorite new feature.
._.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 11:33:11 am »

I think once the kinks are worked out, the dialogue and story mechanics will be my favorite new thing.

There is a lot is cool stuff there, but currently not working as intended.

At the very least, people need more passion and there needs to be more hostility. Everything seems just way too peaceful and nihilistic. Which is funny, but it will wear off soon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:44 am »

I think once the kinks are worked out, the dialogue and story mechanics will be my favorite new thing.

There is a lot is cool stuff there, but currently not working as intended.

At the very least, people need more passion and there needs to be more hostility. Everything seems just way too peaceful and nihilistic. Which is funny, but it will wear off soon.

Meanwhile, I've watched 3 city populations literally tear themselves a part as soon as I set foot in the site.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6