Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Favourite new features  (Read 9340 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite new features
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 03:20:32 am »

I hope all of these features end up on the Wiki for references.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »

The new stealth is awesome.

The new discipline system is even more awesome. (Or will be, as soon as it actually works  :D)

But the best addition is retiring and reclaiming fortresses. And the evolving world after world-gen in general.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 07:01:12 pm »

Best feature is climbing and the new trees. I chopped down a tree with a couple of slugmen. They fell to their deaths : )
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 11:50:51 pm »

Climbing is fun!

I haven't done much else yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 12:01:52 am »

Herbivores get nervous/startled/full of dread if you butcher another animal near them. My favorite new feature is my favorite old feature; attention to detail.

Dyrxaend

• Bay Watcher
  • Crystal blades and Scaled plate, Razors of Dawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 12:12:33 am »

I find the living world to be really good, but also...
New sites! Hillocks, deep mounds... Sites galore!
Scales and fangs, Cydaela and blade, Crystal and fire! March, Kizaurun! March to glory and to vengeance! March for the Razors of Dawn!

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 12:24:36 am »

New trees + new undead with pulping+terrified dwarves.

So my current embark had something like 9 necromancer towers in the civ screen. Cool should be fun. Embark with a couple marksdwarves and train some hammer/axe dwarves in full iron armor and weaponry from the first 2 migrant waves. The undead show up, 4 undead goblins (a lasher,mace,axe, and bow goblin) and an undead elf. In 34.11, they would have been readily dispatched in seconds. 

So I send in 9 dwarves in full iron with hammers and axes. 6 of them are terrified and rout. 3 get cut to pieces. Then the 6 find there courage and come back one by one, to be swiftly cut to pieces. Lovely. So I'm left with my 2 expert marksdwarves. They don't have a prayer in the open, but my map does have quite a few trees. I order a walkway constructed from the top of my guard tower to the nearest treetop, and send my marksdwarves across into the tree canopies. Sure enough they find a good firing position and start going to work. It takes them about a month to kill each undead using iron bolts, but kill each undead they do and 5 months later my map is clear of undead and I have 2 legendary marksdwarves.

So yeah, trees and undead.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 01:10:36 am »

Bugs aside, all of the new features are really sweet. It's hard to my finger on a favorite. I guess when taking the big picture into account I would have to say its the activation of the living world that I find most impressive along with the increased depth found in the social interactions and minds of its inhabitants. As far as the little detailed improvements go, I really do love those beautiful trees. The new combat engine is sweet too.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 11:11:36 am »

I am trying fortress mode now and I have to say that just the feeling that something is happening out there, that the world isn't static anymore, is awesome!

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 03:43:42 pm »

I love the fact that now there is something to see in adventure mode if you go to dwarf or elf sites. It really makes the world feel more complete.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 06:54:41 pm »

The new spoiler sites. :^)

Besides that, I think once the bugs are squashed, the whole concept of a living, breathing world in action in front of you will be just marvelous. There's already the possibility of reclaiming dwarf ruins, which I really love. 

Being really into modding, I like the new possibilities for making new stuff, especially with the creatures, plants and potentially expanded secrets.  I do like the beautiful tree-canopies too, even if they give too much wood.

Also really nice are the improved combat mechanics; I actually like there not being one-hit kill headshots. Let's not also forget the fixed zombies. Especially that they can be killed with magma.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 09:53:53 pm »

Yes, but with the demise of the one-hit kill headshot came the Wolverine skull, how many time do I nedd to bash an unconscious goblin in the head in order to kill him? The answer: slash the neck instead.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:55:43 pm by klefenz »

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 12:57:20 am »

I'm really loving the new plants. The world is so colorful now! berry bushes springing up , trees flowering and changing colors with the seasons, it's all so pretty

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 01:15:31 am »

The new IS_SECRET_GOALs are really nice and the attack raws and gaits giving so much more freedom and the storytelling capability increasing so much and the ability to make creatures have different sexual orientation matrices and oh man.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 03:52:46 am »

Oh yeah, the sexual orientations too.  They're nice in vanilla dwarf mode, but the mechanic gets really interesting when you're mod in new races, or even change existing ones to simulate different cultural practices.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6