Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible work around for crashes after saving  (Read 1607 times)

discuscardscorys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible work around for crashes after saving
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:37:41 pm »

I have so far had 100% success rate if I fore quit DF during the pause after the initial save (or any other auto save). Doing this seems to allow me to then save/load that specific fort as i normally would. Curious to see if anyone else finds this to be true.

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible work around for crashes after saving
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:42:32 am »

Seems to work for me.

3 corrupted saves so far, did this on the 4th world and it seems to work.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:44:41 am »

should post this to mantis, help Toady narrow down that crash
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Thulen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »

No luck trying that, wont let me load any games they will all crash after about a minute.
Dwarf Fortress runs on the most powerfull graphic card there is... your imagination !

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »

This bug is discussed in good detail in this thread, where Toady (with a little help) found that it is being caused by any form of autosaving:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140133.45

You might want to crosspost this over to that thread; I bet some people watching that thread might be interested in this, even if a bug fix for it is slated to come out soon (Toady mentioned it might be today on the bug tracker). Thanks for sharing, I'll be trying this out on my own.

EDIT: Thulen, do you have INITIAL_SAVE set to YES? If you turn that (and all other autosaving) off, it might allow you to get longer-lasting fortresses.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:40:49 pm by jarathor »

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

Yep, these crashes are caused by saving or continuing to play after auto-saving, so force closing DF after an auto save will totally prevent it, as will not having any autosaves enabled at all. We should indeed be getting a release that has this bug fixed before the end of the day :D

Thulen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »

Neh i always turn off INITIAL_SAVE , i just use seasonal saves or when save/quit.
Dwarf Fortress runs on the most powerfull graphic card there is... your imagination !

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »

Neh i always turn off INITIAL_SAVE , i just use seasonal saves or when save/quit.
The seasonal saves are probably what is causing the crashes then, if it's the autosave bug.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Thulen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:25:54 pm »

Definatly autosave seasons, tested it again.

I did a play then just save/quit , loaded that fine, seasonal one not so much it crash.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:18:31 pm »

Yep, these crashes are caused by saving or continuing to play after auto-saving, so force closing DF after an auto save will totally prevent it, as will not having any autosaves enabled at all. We should indeed be getting a release that has this bug fixed before the end of the day :D

Indeed, although I did have one fortress that didn't have any auto saves/initial save turned on at all which still became corrupt after about a year. I haven't had time to see if it happens again, but I'll test it on the next version.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »

I've not tested it, but 40.02 ostensibly fixes this particular issue.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:27:23 pm »

I have been using the linux version for a few days now, and have not seen this issue occur.

Is it specific to the windows version? I have not altered the defaults for autosave behavior in the init files, so I should be getting impacted, no?

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:38:43 pm »

I have been using the linux version for a few days now, and have not seen this issue occur.

Is it specific to the windows version? I have not altered the defaults for autosave behavior in the init files, so I should be getting impacted, no?

All of the autosaves are disabled by default -- you have to manually enable them if you want them.