Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tool to generate text tilesets  (Read 26974 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tool to generate text tilesets
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 06:45:29 am »

Why not the same?
As you said:
Do you usually have fonts that are not installed in your system?
I do, especially fonts that I'd want to use for a DF tileset.
And also:
Different systems and browsers are using different algorithms of smoothing fonts when rendering text that may work better or worse for some fonts. I'll see whether I can control this in html.

Ideally, a "normal", non-browser based application would have algorithms that are platform independent, and with the same settings, produce the same output. Not that I expect you to rewrite your entire tool to do that. There are already ways to do this good enough, and it's not really necessary for this.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:29 am »

Ideally, a "normal", non-browser based application would have algorithms that are platform independent, and with the same settings, produce the same output.

In simplest case - no it wouldn't. Theoretically it's possible to include and use font engine like http://www.freetype.org instead of system text rendering calls, but it's an overkill for such a simple tool.

Anyway, I'll see what can be done about this in browser environment.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 07:26:12 am »

Ideally, a "normal", non-browser based application would have algorithms that are platform independent, and with the same settings, produce the same output.

In simplest case - no it wouldn't. [...] it's an overkill for such a simple tool.
Yeah, I agree; that's what I meant with "it's not really necessary for this."
Edit:
Some more requests:
It's a bit annoying to keep remembering the exact system name of fonts you installed (especially if it just doesn't work because you forgot to restart your browser), so a drop down menu with all system fonts or some form of auto-completion would be nice to have.

Not all fonts have all glyphs of CP437, and the missing glyphs (which use glyphs from a default font?) look out of place with more extravagant fonts. Having tiles which use a fallback font get a different background or colored border in the preview window would help with recognizing these.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:12:23 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 05:46:28 am »

It's a bit annoying to keep remembering the exact system name of fonts you installed (especially if it just doesn't work because you forgot to restart your browser), so a drop down menu with all system fonts or some form of auto-completion would be nice to have.

Not all fonts have all glyphs of CP437, and the missing glyphs (which use glyphs from a default font?) look out of place with more extravagant fonts. Having tiles which use a fallback font get a different background or colored border in the preview window would help with recognizing these.

I doubt any of this is possible in browser environment. I actually wasn't going to make a full-featured tool like this, it just was very easy and quick to make it in html/javascript, but it's deliberately simple and ugly.

However this gave me an idea of making it possible to manually mark characters to be rendered with another font, if the main one doesn't have some glyphs.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »

Bumpage. Also, here's DejaVu Sans Mono, a wonderfully readable font.

THANK YOU!!!

Meph, I'd love it if you could include this in the MDF launcher. You should be good to do so.

{"fw":"normal","fn":"DejaVu Sans Mono","fs":14,"dx":3,"dy":-1,"cw":16,"ch":16,"cust":{"NaN":{"dx":0,"dy":0,"ds":0}}}
Those are the parameters I used. I then manually shifted the underscore up 2 pixels, because it just seemed lower than it should be.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:31:57 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »

Looks like the MIT license, which basically means go for it, if you couldn't tell.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 10:27:56 pm »

Is this a square font intentionally or you have set cell width too big?
Btw, for me, Anonymous Pro (I think it's the default when you open the page) is the best so far.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 10:32:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THANK YOU!!!

Meph, I'd love it if you could include this in the MDF launcher. You should be good to do so.

{"fw":"normal","fn":"DejaVu Sans Mono","fs":14,"dx":3,"dy":-1,"cw":16,"ch":16,"cust":{"NaN":{"dx":0,"dy":0,"ds":0}}}
Those are the parameters I used. I then manually shifted the underscore up 2 pixels, because it just seemed lower than it should be.
Is noted. Downloaded it, next update will have it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 08:57:34 am »

Is this a square font intentionally or you have set cell width too big?
Btw, for me, Anonymous Pro (I think it's the default when you open the page) is the best so far.

Intentional. My intention is to work with square-aspect ascii tilesets (like taffer) without breaking the 'feel' too much, while being more readable. That's not a bad font there either, but I'm just sentimentally attached to DejaVu (and it's bitstream ancestor)
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 11:50:55 am »

This tiny util in HTML5 compliant standard code should be integrated not only in masterwork frontend but in every other DF frontend launcher out there, specially Starter Pack and variants...

Why? because if you combine this with TWBT overrides you have almost unlimited DF tilesets disponibles that can use every local font installed and the online chrome free font repo as a base... Awesome.

Now the only missing part is someone bold enought to recreate or compile  the DF TWBT overrides as an opentype font with some font editor to be able to change their size with the text without image artifacts...

Thanks to Mifki to make all this possible and to Meph to be the 1st implementer of a killer feature (sure that you have the vision to identify them before most of us  ;))

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:34:05 pm by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »

Could someone post the link to the Anonymous Pro tileset?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 01:15:36 pm »

{"fw":"normal","fn":"Anonymous Pro","fs":14,"dx":1,"dy":-2,"cw":10,"ch":16,"cust":{}}

Enter this at the bottom. Link to the generator: http://www.mifki.com/df/fontgen.html
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:42 pm »

Ugh. Sorry, I see now that it uses Google Fonts.

Anyways, here's one with my favorite terminal font, Inconsolata

Code: [Select]
{"fw":"normal","fn":"Inconsolata","fs":14,"dx":1,"dy":-2,"cw":14,"ch":16,"cust":{}}
Spoiler: Inconsolata Preview (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:41 pm »

Fixed that link for you.

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »

This is neat.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3