Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 35090 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Habit RPG
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:26:51 am »

Habit RPG

I've recently taken up using this tool to keep myself in good habits. Although I'm sure it's not right for everyone, I'm definitely finding it helpful. If you're not familiar with it, you enter tasks that you want to complete in real life, and you get points for checking them off. You can put in habits (things you want to do as often as possible), dailies (things you must do every day or else you lose HP), and to-do (things you do once and then they disappear). If you don't do your dailies, you lose HP, and if you die, you lose your gold, an item, and a level. Completing tasks gives you XP and gold to buy equipment.

There are also quests you can complete with friends (monsters that you damage every time you complete your tasks, for example), parties for completing quests together, guilds, and challenges. If I can get a few Bay12ers to sign up with me, I'd like to create a guild, and quests for us all to complete. For example, there might be a book club challenge, an exercise challenge, etc. I can even set prizes for the top scorers to win.

As an example, there's a "fighters guild" which issues real-life challenges to their members like doing 20 pushups a day, taking care of their "armor" (doing laundry, etc.), and things like that. It's a nice idea.

Everyone have a look, and those who are interested, let me know here. If at least a few of you want to give it a try, I'll start a Bay12 guild for us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:10:09 pm »

This sounds neat. I think I'll check it out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:17:48 pm »

It promises instant gratification, for good! How can I argue with that?

This seems the logical conclusion to my efforts to remember to do things.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:57 am »

OK, I've started a party for us, then. If you send me your IDs (click social > party), I'll add you. I've already started one quest, and I'm not sure if others can join in... We'll figure it out!

I've also started the Twelfth Bay guild. I had to pay a small amount of real-life money for the guild, so I hope it gets used. : ) Join up! I'll start making challenges soon!

EDIT: Also, I have to say, this web site is really very effective. I didn't get fully into it until I gained my first level and the item shop unlocked (no idea why they make you wait until level 2 for that!), and some of my activities started dropping random items, but now, it's very motivating. My apartment has never been so clean. I've never been so productive. I want that fancy new armor! I want my pet dragon to grow big enough for me to ride! Must... Wash... Dishes!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:01:50 am by Sappho »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:31 am »

+1 to "really effective". I'm actually getting stuff done, which happens rarely at best. I (TheOrangeWizard) have also joined the Bay12 guild.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:23:41 am »

I'm considering moving this thread to Other Games, where it might get noticed a bit more, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate. Thoughts?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 06:57:31 am »

I couldn't say as for which thread, but looking at this I might start using it. It looks pretty sweet.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:57 am »

This looks pretty neat. I've managed to fall into the habit procrastinating hardcore as of late, and I've been looking for ways to find motivation for basic daily tasks that I need to do. Not sure how well this is actually going to work out, but, hell, at this point it's worth trying. Sign me up.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:12:51 am »

Yay, new players!

Habit RPG is basically this:

except you actually watch yourself level up. At level 2, you can buy equipment. Level 3 or 4, you start getting item drops. Level 10, you choose a class which comes with special equipment and abilities. With friends, you can do quests and fight monsters by doing your tasks (and take extra damage by missing tasks).

When I first looked at the site, it didn't suck me in, but now that I've gotten going, it's amazing. Example: about an hour ago I said to myself, "I should probably water the plants." Normally, that thought would have fallen straight onto the floor and been forgotten immediately. But in this case, I then thought, "hey, I should make an easy to-do task for that and get some points." And the plants were watered before I did anything else. POINTS, bitches.

I'm currently a level 11 mage with full swashbuckler summer gear (saving up coins for the mage summer gear now) and a pet Shade Dragon which only needs to eat one or two more things to grow into a mount. Naturally, I want to ride my dragon, so I'm frantically trying to think of things I can do to click that "task complete" button. 5 minutes of exercise? Done. 30 minutes of reading? Done. 1500 words for my novel 2nd draft? Done. Come on, baby, drop some chocolate!

My apartment is clean because every cleaning task I can think of for points, I do immediately. There hasn't been a dirty dish in my sink since I started this. I'm getting exercise every single day. I'm on track to finish that 2nd draft by the end of the month. I'm making art every day, doing prep work for next school year, writing articles for the magazine I work for... Doing lessons on DuoLingo, learning the names of all the tiny countries in Africa on freerice.com, etc. etc. etc. This thing is just awesome. It's a skinner box used for good!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:04:29 am »

Just joined the guild :)

Though I will point out I have no idea what I'm doing yet, and am still level 1.

On the other hand, grinding has never been so productive :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 11:07:11 am »

This sounds so good. :)
I remember someone (I believe it may have been you, Sappho?) discussing such a concept on the forums a while back, although it was a far more abstract idea without a website to back it up. I thought it was great then, and I think it's even better now. I'll have to sign up at some point! Cleaning up my flat in its current state would probably net me at least a few hundred levels, muahahaha...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 11:32:25 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:29:49 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:08:10 pm »

Interesting concept.  I've always had procrastination problems, so I suppose I'll give it a shot.  I'll edit the post with info or join the guild once I know what I'm doing and know I will use it for more than a day.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 12:31:32 pm »

Neat! Definitely giving this a try.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »

I'm in!
Joined the guild as Il Palazzo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31