Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 34971 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:51 pm »

All set up, now to just get it to come up every day in a non annoying way.  Wish there was a firefox addon, but I guess windows task scheduler will have to do.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »

Looks interesting.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 02:02:58 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:29:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 02:34:19 pm »

Joined the Guild. I've been needing something like this
It's FEF, not FEOF

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 05:02:00 pm »

Joined up. I'm MaximumZero, and the app is on my phone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 05:22:44 pm »

Ooh, an incentive to do things that my previous incentives for were vague promises of a better future. Sounds like it might be probably pretty neat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 06:43:50 pm »

So, should we start issuing challenges to one another?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

This is pretty nifty. I'll join the guild as Elephant Parade.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 10:13:53 pm »

Hmm. There's an Android app for convenience, but I've also got "checking phone too often" down as a habit that needs breaking. Decisions, decisions...
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 01:28:07 am »

Yay, so many interest! I have to run out to an appointment right now, but I wanted to reply to this first:

oh my god I'm losing all my HP on bad habits ._.

fuck everything

I NEVER use the "negative" buttons for anything. I have bad habits, but I know myself. Negative reinforcement will not motivate me to do anything. It will just eventually motivate me to stop using the site altogether.

Try what I do: put down a *positive* habit that says something like "resisted temptation to X." Click it every time you think you'd like to do that thing, but manage not to. Yes, every single time. I don't care if it's once every five minutes. If it motivates you to not do your bad habit, then you should give yourself a little reward each and every time. And if you mess up and do the bad habit, well, no points for you, but it shouldn't *hurt* you. That will just make you feel worse.

Here's how I do things:
-I make a daily for everything I think I really need to be doing every day, a habit for stuff I want to do as often as possible (but don't *need* to do on a daily basis), and a to-do for something that needs to get done eventually (or I'm about to do right now).
-Anything I'm likely to procrastinate about from anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours, or anything I'm going to do no matter what but I really don't feel like it, I mark "easy." Things like "Okay, I need to make breakfast. I'd prefer to play video games for a few more minutes. Hm.... Easy task." And then I go do it, and then I get the points.
-Anything I'm likely to procrastinate about for a day or more, or anything I really don't want to do, gets a Medium rating. When I accomplish this, I deserve bigger numbers on the screen, dammit.
-Anything I'm likely to procrastinate about for several days or more, or anything I'm not likely to actually do without an incentive (washing out the trash can, for example), gets a Hard rating.

This has worked well for me so far. Feel free to share other strategies.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 05:42:57 am »

I get on and off this game every now and then.

It's great at times, but the server is way too laggy. Most important feature of any todo list is speed and workflow. It ends up being demotivating waiting for it to load.

The HP thing gets annoying when I'm out of town. It gets tedious running to the tavern whenever I'm going to be without internet for a while.

And I've kinda maxed out on gear. The high level gear isn't really that cool.

Basically, it's good, but really needs improvement on the workflow aspect, and more gaminess.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 06:21:02 am »

Laggy? Really? I've never had a problem. Always quick for me.

When you're going to be away for a while, you can disable your dailies completely. Just click "edit" then click each of the days of the week until none are selected. Then it will stay there, but never hurt you, until you get back and turn it back on. I think that should keep you safe.

I agree that it could be a little more heavily gamified. I'd like to see more quests and fights and stuff. They are still developing it, though, and they seem pretty open to suggestions and outside contributions, if anyone wants to try to help make it better.

Any requests for guild challenges? Here's what I'm thinking of:

1. The Craftsdwarf Challenge: Produce 1 piece of creative work per day, of any size or quality. Share it on the guild chat. Daily points for completing your art, plus a habit you can click each time you spend 5 minutes or more working on something creative, and another habit for additional arts per day.

2. The Dwarfish Boot Camp Challenge: Taking care of your body and space. Dailies for making the bed, washing dishes immediately, etc., as well as physical challenges like X minutes of exercise, things like that.

3. The Elf Challenge: Habits for recycling things instead of throwing them away, actually taking the recycling out, reusing things instead of chucking them in the recycling bin, etc.

4. The Soapmaker Challenge: Hygiene habits like brushing teeth, flossing, showering, doing laundry, etc.

Which ones are people interested in? Or what other suggestions do you have? If I get a lot of interest in one, I can set a reward for the person who gets the most points towards it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 06:31:03 am »

I'd be happy to throw down a Dwarven Gauntlet for exercise, if you like.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04:56 am »

Alright, I've joined in on this. Hopeful on how effective it will be.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:22 pm »

Sappho: I wonder how many points making a new book-club thread would be worth...? ;D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31