Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: what is 2014's doomanimal?  (Read 13779 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what is 2014's doomanimal?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 06:12:27 pm »

I don't care if the OP specified "non-tree." Trees are such an overwhelmingly present menace that it would be unpatriotic to even consider any other alternatives for a superlative.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »

Seconding the undead, despite not being an animal per se. Even though they can be destroyed a lot more easily by your average military dwarf in single combat, their complete and utter lack of fear means they're probably even more deadly now that military dwarves can rout. Their tendency to come in great numbers and the simple fact that they're undead make them truly terrifying for even a well trained and equipped squad of dwarves.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »

The trees accidentally your post.
It explodes in gore.
It was inevitable.

Such is life.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 06:41:37 pm »

I've heard terrifying news about hydras able to rip apart multiple enemies at once.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:52:19 pm »

Lungfish can allegedly as of this version not only fly but now also phase through walls. Meaning they have mastered land, sea, air, and now the very fabric of spacetime itself.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:54 pm »

The UNDEAD.  They do not have the feelings, so they can use the new combat system to the full extent.

Giant undead animals are brutal now. Fear them!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:57 pm »

Undead trees.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 07:14:41 pm »

I've heard terrifying news about hydras able to rip apart multiple enemies at once.

The thing is, having hydras turn out to be total murder machines isn't at all unexpected, even from the perspective of an outsider to the DF community. The novelty of the King of Beasts is usually that it's an been a series of extremely improbable menaces with each new KoB being more ludicrous than the next. elephants in real life are huge, but not hyper-aggressive like they were in 40d, nobody expected a common fish to be a brutal aquatic killer, and after having a completely sessile aquatic organism being the most dangerous enemy a dwarf could face in the previous version, I'm not sure anything in .40 will top that.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 08:28:24 pm »

Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:07 pm »

The thing is, having hydras turn out to be total murder machines isn't at all unexpected, even from the perspective of an outsider to the DF community. The novelty of the King of Beasts is usually that it's an been a series of extremely improbable menaces with each new KoB being more ludicrous than the next. elephants in real life are huge, but not hyper-aggressive like they were in 40d, nobody expected a common fish to be a brutal aquatic killer, and after having a completely sessile aquatic organism being the most dangerous enemy a dwarf could face in the previous version, I'm not sure anything in .40 will top that.
Elephants? Unlikely, but possible.
Carp? Not unheard of.
Giant Sponges? They're large enough that when they sway due to currents, they can hurt.
The most obvious choice for the KoB of DF2014 is THE TREE.
It seems unmoving but it is the most wise, most dangerous enemy ever to exist.
It sits passively, waiting for its prey. Primarily birds.
It then creates a momentary blinding flash, stunning any flying creature, causing them to slam right into them.
Upon their inevitable demise, if left alone long enough, it eats the corpse with its roots.
The above-ground part of the tree is like the Lower Body of standard beasts, with the roots being the Upper Body. It's backwards, yes, but these aren't our Earth-trees.
Their brain, lungs, stomach and heart are all within the roots; they are spread out. Destruction of any part of the root system counts as "denting the brain", causing instant death of the tree - to prevent its corpse from being fed upon in this scenario, it evaporates.
The above-ground portion contains the other organs - the guts, liver, kidneys, spleen, and pancreas.
Removal of this portion prevents it from fully processing energy, killing the roots.
A rundown of Dwarf Fortress tree biology:
Instead of chlorophyl, these trees have eyes. Tiny eyes. MILLIONS TO BILLIONS TO TRILLIONS OF TINY EYES.
Once the collective hive-eye detects prey, they signal the tree-spleen to emit a light pulse (spleens are otherwise useless in Dwarf Fortress), blinding the flying creature long enough for it to collide with the hard epidermis of the tree. The flying creatures don't always die, but it's a team effort - if one tree fails to kill a creature, another may finish the job.
Upon the death of something near its roots, it lets the decomposers contribute it to the soil, and it feeds off the nutrients that way.
If said body lands directly on its roots, it absorbs the nutrients directly.
Either way, the nutrients go through the roots into the stomach, where some energy is absorbed. Said nutrients travel to the guts and get the majority of their energy absorbed there. The remaining sludge, which is often partly the remains of the decomposers, enters the liver, which processes it into more tiny eye components.
The energy itself goes to the heart, which distributes the nutrients properly, permitting further growth.
tl;dr: Toady One made the trees too hardcore.
Also, want to know why adventurers typically fail at grabbing branches when falling near trees?
Blinding flashes.
You seem like food to them.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:22 pm »

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html
Quote from: Durkon
They may look all peacef'l, but they be out ta get us dwarves.
I ne'er saw one 'til I be a man, leavin' the dwarven tunnels fer good, but I know they be Evil.
Haven't ye ever thought aboot how suspicious it be tha trees can always be found in such large groups?
And why else would me patron, Thor, strike down so many each year with his mighty lightnin' if they weren't Evil?
Back in the homelands, they always be encroachin' on our territory.
Quote from: Dwarf 1
Captain, roots are breaching our perimeter in Tunnels F, Q, and V.
Quote from: Dwarf 2
If I don't make it, tell my wife I love her.
Quote from: Haley
That's ridiculous. Why would anyone be scared of a tree?
Think about it, lass.
Just one tree has Colossal size, natural armor, damage reduction, hundreds o' hit points, and enough limbs ta make a dozen or more attacks per round.
Quote from: Roy
Durkon, trees can't MOVE.
Can't they move, lad? Or is it just tha they move so slow, we cannae see them sneakin' up on us?
Quote from: Roy
So now trees are some kind of stealthy assassin??
Gods, yes, man. It's like yer people always are sayin':
"If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make a sound?"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:34:39 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »

Let's face it: DF(7+7) / DFIWI didn't give us a doomanimal. It gave us conversation instead. I'm a little angry.

...You could, I suppose, argue that it also gave us doomtrees. I don't care one way or the other.

*spits*
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »

Let's face it: DF(7+7) / DFIWI didn't give us a doomanimal. It gave us conversation instead. I'm a little angry.

...You could, I suppose, argue that it also gave us doomtrees. I don't care one way or the other.

*spits*

It was inevitable
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7