Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: what is 2014's doomanimal?  (Read 13778 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what is 2014's doomanimal?
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:27 am »

As awesome as the Rrrrrrabits of Caerbannog are (and they are awesome), they seem to be more a problem for enemies of the fort.

Unfortunately, I don't have a candidate to propose yet. I just wanted to remind folks that Toady is still working on releases for this version, so don't give up hope! It's still possible that in the next few weeks some improbable, seemingly-innocuous animal will become a vicious menace. This is Dwarf Fortress, and wonderful absurdity will find a way.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2014, 07:42:13 pm »

Nope, it's unicorns again.

So delicious, so tasty, worth so much that you absolutely have to hunt them. It might seem like fairyfloss and rainbows outside, just a nice little walk amongst the clover.....

Then BAM!

Gored and trampled to death and everyone else is running and screaming.

They start out pretty big, move pretty fast, have warhammers attached to their feet and carving knives to their heads. And they're so delicious and precious, you HAVE to try and kill them.

Greed, avarice and gluttony are the real killers here. Plus the bloody unicorns.

Try it and see. Especially in a fort, they're only so good in arena. That's if you can catch them/kill them after the initial attack. There's as much chance of starving to death for the hunter as there is of total outside wipe.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:23:24 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »

Nope, it's unicorns again.

So delicious, so tasty, worth so much that you absolutely have to hunt them. It might seem like fairyfloss and rainbows outside, just a nice little walk amongst the clover.....

Then BAM!

Gored and trampled to death and everyone else is running and screaming.

They start out pretty big, move pretty fast, have warhammers attached to their feet and carving knives to their heads. And they're so delicious and precious, you HAVE to try and kill them.

Greed, avarice and gluttony are the real killers here. Plus the bloody unicorns.

Try it and see. Especially in a fort, they're only so good in arena. That's if you can catch them/kill them after the initial attack. There's as much chance of starving to death for the hunter as there is of total outside wipe.

But are they invisible?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:33 pm »

With my arena testing, it appears that the best thing so far has been a Cave Dragon. The reason? They can use their freaking wings for wrestling. This means they have two extra limbs to use that most creatures do not. This is terrifying. I'm doing more experimenting, to see if perhaps there is a different creature.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2014, 09:58:30 pm »

Except Cave Dragons are rather rare (well, not common either) and unless you're lucky enough to get them as a siege mount, generally appear alone. Plus a good military could handle it.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »

I'd give it to trees. After a cyclops one-hitted six dwarves, a ton of olm men and elk birds, one falling log exploded him. Otherwise... I actually lose tons and tons of dwarves to alligators. A single alligator took down a pair of steel armed dwarves, and tossed a woodcutter and a third soldier into the water.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2014, 05:17:22 pm »

Children are ridiculously deadly, especially now that dwarven civs tend to be near-extinction so you get the same migrants after every failed fort.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2014, 04:35:26 pm »

TREES.
They will lure you into a false sense of security with the fact falling from short distances no longer can cripple you, and then BAM.
You fall because your agility wasn't high enough, and your neck is pulped.
I just saw a thread on reddit about trees spawning in midair and plummeting onto your fort. The consensus was that somehow, elves were behind it.

Anyway, Giant Keas (Winged Thieves of Giant, Parroty Death) remain king of the Flying Beasts.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:50:12 pm by MDFification »

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2014, 04:41:07 pm »

Inevitability.

"Do you hear that, Mister Anderson? That is the sound of Inevitability."

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »

Puppies. I saw a puppy from my fortress murder two full-grown wolves single handedly.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »

Inevitability.

"Do you hear that, Mister Anderson? That is the sound of Inevitability."

"I don't hear anyth--"
~Last words of Mr. Anderson, victim of a stealth weremammoth.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2014, 03:56:09 pm »

Trees. Certainly trees
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]