Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.02 Released  (Read 29793 times)

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.02 Released
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »

No longer can I impersonate a Diving Being.

It was inevitable.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 05:50:15 pm »

Hm. I should check the version number on the title screen to be certain.

Oops, I had accidentally used 40.01.

Sorry about that, ehehe.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »

Crashed already; alt-tabbed on Linux while the game was loading a map in adventurer, suddenly the game window was simply not there and the process was killed. No idea what happened.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 06:10:22 pm »

It was inevitable.

Stopped autosave features from corrupting worlds

Does that mean that only saves made with autosave were getting corrupted?
If I didn't use autosave, can I still play my current fort in 40.01 for a while without worrying about corruption causing crash?

Yes -- the corruption was caused by initial/seasonal/yearly autosaves deleting randomly generated object interactions (one of the functions that got called incorrectly assumed that the game would exit after save, like normal manual saves do). So long as you have all autosaves disabled, you won't be hit by this save corruption glitch.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:18:30 pm »

Was getting some crashes in the last version that had no errorlog, but I believe had something to do with cavern creatures dying by the dozen every month.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »

Thanks,Toady!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 06:19:28 pm »

Does that mean that only saves made with autosave were getting corrupted?
If I didn't use autosave, can I still play my current fort in 40.01 for a while without worrying about corruption causing crash?

Yes -- the corruption was caused by initial/seasonal/yearly autosaves deleting randomly generated object interactions (one of the functions that got called incorrectly assumed that the game would exit after save, like normal manual saves do). So long as you have all autosaves disabled, you won't be hit by this save corruption glitch.

Thank you.
I have had set
Code: [Select]
[AUTOSAVE:NONE]
[AUTOBACKUP:NO]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:NO]
[INITIAL_SAVE:NO]
in the d_init.txt so it seems my fort should be ok. :)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 06:23:03 pm »

The guy who figured out blood_max = 1/10th body size should get credit somewhere for the growth bug.

That guy was awesome, whoever he was.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »

For the people still getting crashes on deity conversations and so on, is there any chance you're playing a save from the original release of 0.40? I haven't had time to test it myself, or even test whether old saves that aren't affected by the autosave bug would even load, but I suspect this could be an issue.

Anyone, now that the most reliable crashes have been squashed, what do you think you'll be tackling next? Retirement in both versions is somewhat wonky at this time, making it somewhat difficult to play with the now dynamic worlds then come back to your fort/adventurer to see what's happened in the intervening time, though I have no idea whether the associated problems there would be easy to fix.

Aggression and fear could definitely use some tweaking; necromancers will frequently end up fleeing from their own undead, and friendly boogeymen have been reported in several games, for two examples of oddities with the new system that should never happen.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:53 pm »

I haven't gone over everything yet, but the calendar is really slow, and that affects everything.  Mystery babies seem like potential catastrophic trouble, if it is coming from scheduled births around the world (as that might corrupt the files having them two places at once).  Retired adventurer clones or whatever seem pretty bad.  Yeah, the whole matter of decision-making is messed up all around, though I'll probably snatch up some more of these game-stoppers first.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 07:02:42 pm »

I just had a crash when bringing up the quest menu (Q) while fast-travelling, no errorlog. Can't reproduce it however. I think I've seen this on the bugtracker already.

Yup, here it is:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6543
I think I can reliably reproduce this one, uploaded a save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8846

I started with a dwarf in one of the hillocks, fast-travelled, hit Q and it crashes, multiple times now.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »

I haven't gone over everything yet, but the calendar is really slow, and that affects everything.  Mystery babies seem like potential catastrophic trouble, if it is coming from scheduled births around the world (as that might corrupt the files having them two places at once).  Retired adventurer clones or whatever seem pretty bad.  Yeah, the whole matter of decision-making is messed up all around, though I'll probably snatch up some more of these game-stoppers first.

Sounds nice, keep up the great work!

In regards to the adventurer cloning, I've heard that the issue will frequently affect other characters when loading/unloading sites, you think there might be a relationship between it and the mystery babies?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:09:06 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 07:19:53 pm »

It's almost futile to guess this early on -- it's best just to get a reproducible method or a broken save and follow the trail.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mario384

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 07:23:22 pm »

It's almost futile to guess this early on -- it's best just to get a reproducible method or a broken save and follow the trail.
  Did we figure out what was with the mystery babies yet?  Is it those new underground goblin forts?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 07:25:10 pm »

DF2014: The "Don't tell your god that mystery babies were inevitable" version.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6