Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.02 Released  (Read 29925 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.02 Released
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »

The guy who figured out blood_max = 1/10th body size should get credit somewhere for the growth bug.

That guy was awesome, whoever he was.

I did that, but I probably wasn't the first.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:14 pm »

The guy who figured out blood_max = 1/10th body size should get credit somewhere for the growth bug.

It was certainly a team effort. Quietust made a good post about the cause in the bug report: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6334

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »

It's almost futile to guess this early on -- it's best just to get a reproducible method or a broken save and follow the trail.
  Did we figure out what was with the mystery babies yet?  Is it those new underground goblin forts?

Well, from what toady just said, he suspects its a historical figure duping bug, which he said could potentially result in serious issues beyond the mild annoyance/FPS drops mystery babies cause.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 07:42:53 pm »

It's not DF without save corruption!  This release should fix an issue with autosaves corrupting and causing various crash issues down the line.  For this reason 0.40.01 saves are not compatible with this version
It is sad, but not unexpected.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 07:43:57 pm »

It was certainly a team effort. Quietust made a good post about the cause in the bug report: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6334

I was barely involved in the bugfix at all, I was only commenting on the body size's relation with the blood amount.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 07:52:48 pm »

It's not DF without save corruption!  This release should fix an issue with autosaves corrupting and causing various crash issues down the line.  For this reason 0.40.01 saves are not compatible with this version
It is sad, but not unexpected.

It was inevitable.

Feel free to throw rotten tomatoes now. Also, reading comprehension roll failed on my part; I speculated that maybe the person still having crashes talking to a deity was using an old save, even though that clearly isn't possible.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:49 pm »

Got it. I’ve tried generating some new worlds, on a medium world generated for 200 years, it crashes unless the entity site cap is set at the default. Does anyone have problems with worldgen crashes when the number of sites exceeds a certain amount?

Otherwise I look forward to trying this world out.

But damn, saves are not compatible. Now Heavymetal has to start over!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:25 pm »

Putnam!  Sorry, I couldn't remember your name.  It's been like a year.
You are awesome.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »

Got it. I’ve tried generating some new worlds, on a medium world generated for 200 years, it crashes unless the entity site cap is set at the default. Does anyone have problems with worldgen crashes when the number of sites exceeds a certain amount?

Archmage, have you made Dwarf Fortress Large Address Aware? During world generation, all the data is stored in RAM until the world is complete, meaning large worlds can easily exceed the 2 GB default limit for a 32 bit application.
It was inevitable.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 08:34:59 pm »

Still have adventure mode crashes... will post on bug tracker.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »

Try to do any SCIENCE you can on repeating said crashes; the more relevant data will can give Toady, the faster he'll be able to fix them.
It was inevitable.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 08:54:09 pm »

I recall a bug where you would crash if you opened up the Q log after loading while in quicktravel mode, but I can't seem to reproduce it with a fresh adventurer.

Just be aware that it exists.

oh_no

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »

SUCCESS
Wait

Y U LIE TO US TOADY

THE GAME CRASHED WHEN I TALKED TO MY GOD

Does it reproduce?

The game or the god?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 09:59:55 pm »

Archmage, have you made Dwarf Fortress Large Address Aware? During world generation, all the data is stored in RAM until the world is complete, meaning large worlds can easily exceed the 2 GB default limit for a 32 bit application.

The crash happens on both Mac and Windows, right when the worldgen is being finalised, and I believe it happens on “finalising sites”. With the largest worlds on windows, the game did exceed 2GB without problems, but I haven’t checked whether it is Large Address Aware.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:07 am »

So this one group of sparrow-people is going around spreading false rumors of my death, and of me attacking myself.

Sparrow man: The human Bof died
Sparrow woman: It was inevitable.
Sparrow man2: The human Bof attacked Bof a few days ago.
Sparrow man: It is terrifying.

To clarify, I think I befriended the first sparrow man by gifting him my large copper dagger when I first ran into him, but IDK if that's why he considers it terrifying.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6