Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.02 Released  (Read 30072 times)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.02 Released
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »

It occurs to me that almost all the stealth issues and non-stealth NPC vision issues can be solved by one change: If an NPC is attacked by something, make it face the attacker. This would not only solve the "NPCs don't seem to understand when you jam a battleaxe into their torso while behind them" issue, but also the issue of being behind someone while not sneaking and being able to do the same.

EDIT: Stuff like this http://puu.sh/a77VW/f069341da0.png

Anyway, everything else is pretty good, but waiting for some AI fixes before I get too deep into adventurer mode. It's not stopping me from already making more horrific monsters to butcher adventurers though, heh.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:55:14 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:21 pm »

A quick clarification on Archereon's comments about the clones (his information is probably coming from my thread here): the clone didn't attack me autonomously (though it would run from me on its own); I ordered it to do that.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:24 pm »

Upon generating a new adventurer anyway, I note that dwarves, goblins, and elves are already size 70000. Cheers!

EDIT: No wait, that's me getting my region folder mixed up.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:24:02 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »

Getting a crash when I ask about a site's trade partner relationship stuff.  I have a save with the conversation started, I just need to figure out how to zip/rar it.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »

If that was yours it worked -- in any case, that should work now.  Or at least that case of it.  Various other fixes posted on dev log/tracker.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thburns

• Bay Watcher
  • I came, I saw..... It sucked!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:26 am »

May not be the proper place for this, but I'll give it a go. Was wondering if, with all the new plants and other things, if the frame rate drops sooner in a game? Or is it comparable to 2012 version on same machine?
If only life and parenting were as easy as "Dwarf Fortress"

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2014, 12:19:24 am »

There's the running world stuff,  in large enough worlds that'll kill your FPS.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2014, 09:18:24 am »

To expand on palu's point: the new version continues the progress of the world (outside of your fortress) continually in the background.  You get a small glimpse of this when you start a new game (after world gen or fort-retire or adventurer-retire) and you see two weeks go by on the game's calendar.  If those days go really slowly on your system, then your FPS in fort mode are going to be abysmal as well.

Size of the world and length of history are the two main factors here.  "Medium" (129x129) or larger worlds are not recommended unless you're very patient.

Toady has said he's going to optimize this continual world progress.  It's his top priority after fixing the crashes and other major bugs.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2014, 11:05:43 am »

I have crashes when entering new sites (moving from the wilderness to a town, between towns, vice versa). It's not every time, but the majority of my overworld movement crashes are right at that point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

thburns

• Bay Watcher
  • I came, I saw..... It sucked!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2014, 12:06:34 pm »

To expand on palu's point: the new version continues the progress of the world (outside of your fortress) continually in the background.  You get a small glimpse of this when you start a new game (after world gen or fort-retire or adventurer-retire) and you see two weeks go by on the game's calendar.  If those days go really slowly on your system, then your FPS in fort mode are going to be abysmal as well.

Size of the world and length of history are the two main factors here.  "Medium" (129x129) or larger worlds are not recommended unless you're very patient.

Toady has said he's going to optimize this continual world progress.  It's his top priority after fixing the crashes and other major bugs.

Cool no problems on world gen so far. Which is good since I had to downgrade to another PC till I get mine fixed. Keep up the good work toady!
If only life and parenting were as easy as "Dwarf Fortress"

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »

Awesome work Toady.

Out of curiosity, my game lags considerably whenever starting a new game (after generating and then selecting fortress or adventure, not tried with legends). It gets to the calendar screen and then the game takes quite a while to start. Is this because of history progressing or such, or could it be a bug?

EDIT: Nevermind, after some further reading I answered my own question.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:27 pm »

Does the world really calculate often enough to cause continuous FPS loss? It seems like updates could be more infrequent (once per season or year or something).

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2014, 10:29:54 pm »

Does the world really calculate often enough to cause continuous FPS loss? It seems like updates could be more infrequent (once per season or year or something).
In adventure mode, the conversations at least slow you down to crazy levels. Goblin sites can take up to ten seconds for one move.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2014, 11:04:50 pm »

In adventure mode, the conversations at least slow you down to crazy levels. Goblin sites can take up to ten seconds for one move.

So it's more local activity that is the slowdown rather than large-scale? (Haven't played adventure mode yet in the newest version)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:52 pm »

For adventure mode at least, and on a  pocket world. Don't try anything larger than a 'small' world, as the lag gets even worse.
So it's more local activity that is the slowdown rather than large-scale? (Haven't played adventure mode yet in the newest version)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6