Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 40.02 My king is a Goblin...  (Read 4731 times)

jelmerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40.02 My king is a Goblin...
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:59 pm »

My dwarven civilization has a goblin king and a goblin general...

Is this normal?

*Update*

One of my dwarves became the queen, no clue what happened to the goblin king; Also I might get a visit from a goblin diplomat.

*update*
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:34:41 pm by jelmerm »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40.02 My king is a Goblin...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:44 pm »

Leaders of different races are not unheard of, your civ probably conquered some goblin sites, and somehow one of the goblins or their descendants became king. If you mange to get him to come to the site in person, make sure to tell us whether he's considered a friendly creature or an actual part of your fort; I'm quite curious if that's been fixed.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:55:01 pm »

Leaders of different races are not unheard of, your civ probably conquered some goblin sites, and somehow one of the goblins or their descendants became king. If you mange to get him to come to the site in person, make sure to tell us whether he's considered a friendly creature or an actual part of your fort; I'm quite curious if that's been fixed.

I haven't changed any old bugs deliberately for the big release...
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:59 pm »

Note the bolded text; the non-dwarf citizens not being properly handled may very well have been tied up in entity behavior and so on, which had a massive overhaul in 0.40.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

jelmerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:03:59 pm »

How do I get the king to visit my site?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:08:59 pm »

Note the bolded text; the non-dwarf citizens not being properly handled may very well have been tied up in entity behavior and so on, which had a massive overhaul in 0.40.
Quote from: 2012-12-03 Devlog link=http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2012.html#2012-12-03
I talked to my first retired fortress citizen yesterday, and I also went ahead with the unretirement of retired player forts. I expressed some misgivings about fort unretirement in the last Future of the Fortress post, and we'll see how it works out. The main issues are information that is altered for the adventure mode visitor and information that is just lost entirely during the retirement process. It isn't as big a deal when you reclaim a ruined fort, since you expect some rebuilding, but it might be more jarring when the reclaimed fort was left alive. The info in question includes room information, military stuff, burrows, that kind of thing. Theoretically we should be able to keep much more of it, but having an adventurer running around killing dwarves and stealing items could be disruptive.

The upside'll be being able to switch between forts (though you can't play them at the same time, and there's no guarantee of survival for retired forts), being able to do odd things like retiring an adventurer in a retired fort and then unretiring the fort with your new citizen (at least if your adventurer is a dwarf -- we haven't handled multiracial forts yet, though it'll likely be allowed)... and whatever else people come up with.
Don't know if he changed that since then.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »

Well, that's from nearly 2 years ago, so it's entirely possible things have changed since then.

Could someone with access to Dwarf Fortress possibly make a fort, retire it, then run a non-dwarf adventurer over there, retire him/her and see what happens? It would be nice to put this particular question to bed, and/or get some SCIENCE done on retiring adventurers in fortresses. I strongly suspect they'll go completely nuts if they've gone on the typical killing spree but haven't reached the point where they don't care about anything anymore.
It was inevitable.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:38 pm »

Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:31:11 pm »

For the last couple of versions, it seems that immortal creatures have a big edge in being your civs ruler. It makes sense. They don't die of old age, so once they're in that's it.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »

How do I get the king to visit my site?

I doubt the requirements have changed (but bugs may prevent their arrival)

I have already read that the king can die offsite, and one of your dwarves, through line of succession, will become king. Accidentally.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:11 pm »

For the last couple of versions, it seems that immortal creatures have a big edge in being your civs ruler. It makes sense. They don't die of old age, so once they're in that's it.

Unless some pesky adventurer comes and kills them.
It was inevitable.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:41 pm »

All hail the king! Obviously a Goblin who is deemed Dwarven enough to become the holder of the throne should be respected. All around the lands, beards are trimmed and sent in ornate boxes to Erith 'the beardless'; with much skill the court alchemists affix the beards of the land on the king, so the Dwarves of his realm know they aren't just his subjects.. but that he considers himself one of them, a protector to the people who accepted him.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »

In all honestly, the way dwarves are generally played by this community, they have more in common with goblins than their ethics in the raws would suggest.
It was inevitable.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:22 pm »

In all honestly, the way dwarves are generally played by this community, they have more in common with goblins than their ethics in the raws would suggest.

Sometimes you just gotta drop a noble into magma, man.
Sometimes you just gotta eat a couple kittens.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured
Pages: [1] 2