Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deciphering a certain conflict.  (Read 5558 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deciphering a certain conflict.
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:44 pm »

So I started in a crowded dwarf fort, everyone there is constantly yammering away and I can't pay attention to all of it. I recruited three helpers among the military dwarves, and on the way out, one of my guys was attacked by several goblins that were part of this civ and maybe also a dwarf, at least he claimed to attack him but I didn't see that in the combat info. Anyway my helper beat these guys all up and killed one of the goblins with his fists. Everyone else was alarmed but once it was over it was over.

How can I find out why these guys attacked my companion?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering a certain conflict.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »

So I started in a crowded dwarf fort, everyone there is constantly yammering away and I can't pay attention to all of it. I recruited three helpers among the military dwarves, and on the way out, one of my guys was attacked by several goblins that were part of this civ and maybe also a dwarf, at least he claimed to attack him but I didn't see that in the combat info. Anyway my helper beat these guys all up and killed one of the goblins with his fists. Everyone else was alarmed but once it was over it was over.

How can I find out why these guys attacked my companion?

No, we can't.
This is DF2014
Nothing happens without lack of reason.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.

But the sad truth charlie?

It was inevitable.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »

^ I will sig that if it's alright.

Regarding the OP's question, you could try checking the legends on the people you were interacting with, and try to make some sense of what might have happened.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:33:05 pm »

I am honoured!

It is terrific.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »

Ok, here's what happened according to the announcements page:

First people started shouting about a battle. A goblin named Smunstu Ostasusm starting shouting about retreat and running away. A dwarf who's name I forget claimed to have attack my swordsdwarf Iton {something} 1 minute ago. More shouting about battle (this is a crowded room remember.) Other people claiming that 'a goblin' attacked Iton 1 minute ago. More shouting about battle.

Then Iton begins to deliver a furious beatdown of this 'goblin', switching between weapons and punches, cutting off the goblins hand and then punching the goblin repeatedly. At no time did the goblin actually make an attack (maybe I didn't see that part? He kinda just ran off, and I followed the noise.)

When the goblin died, I finally got a name, Utes Zolaksledas. I made a backup to check legends, and unfortunately he wasn't important enough to be a historical figure, so I couldn't see if he belonged to some rival group or something.

After the battle, several of the dwarves claimed also to have attacked Iton, but I saw no evidence of that. They said 'I attacked Iton' but I suspect it was a typo or a bug, because none of these remained hostile to Iton.

The whole episode appears to make no sense. :)

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:39:14 pm »

Sometimes people just fucking punch each-other; I had two companions outright murder one another (well I had to finish off the perp with an ax to the brain but my other companion did him in pretty good to) just on the road right out the Hamlet from start.

I suspect the goblin said or did something to trigger a recollection of past grievances, or Iton had a bone to pick with the goblin from perhaps some earlier scrape.  He then put the beat down on said gob, and his fellow dwarves probably rammed into him as everyone fell all over the damn place and wound up trading blows as a result or having those collisions constitute blows in some form of conflict.

I ribbed half of someone's gear off and destroyed their nose then choked them unconscious.

Come back in from the other room, they're up and all "good to see you so-and-so!"  I think the violence interactions are so complex at this point that you'll never quite know \why/ things are happening, you'll just need to reAct when they do.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:51:30 pm »

Ok, here's what happened according to the announcements page:

First people started shouting about a battle. A goblin named Smunstu Ostasusm starting shouting about retreat and running away. A dwarf who's name I forget claimed to have attack my swordsdwarf Iton {something} 1 minute ago. More shouting about battle (this is a crowded room remember.) Other people claiming that 'a goblin' attacked Iton 1 minute ago. More shouting about battle.

Then Iton begins to deliver a furious beatdown of this 'goblin', switching between weapons and punches, cutting off the goblins hand and then punching the goblin repeatedly. At no time did the goblin actually make an attack (maybe I didn't see that part? He kinda just ran off, and I followed the noise.)

When the goblin died, I finally got a name, Utes Zolaksledas. I made a backup to check legends, and unfortunately he wasn't important enough to be a historical figure, so I couldn't see if he belonged to some rival group or something.

After the battle, several of the dwarves claimed also to have attacked Iton, but I saw no evidence of that. They said 'I attacked Iton' but I suspect it was a typo or a bug, because none of these remained hostile to Iton.

The whole episode appears to make no sense. :)

Wait, what?
I didn't think that people who aren't historical figures even got names.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 12:08:42 am »

ReaLFear, I think it's been awhile since that was true--if it ever was.  When you greet them they'll tell you their name and when you look at them after it'L have their name attached.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:44:12 am »

I have yet to find a dwarven fortress that does not erupt in no quarter combat once I talk to someone. Hillocks are fine, but fortresses are large self-destruction mechanisms.
If you think of it, it's basically the same with player-controlled fortresses.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:42 am »

I think the bug may be caused by crowded rooms. As when animals are put in a small place. People start to shove themselves and fight.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:32 am »

I just watched a dwarf necromancer get murdered by his own zombies. It was inevitable, and the zombies left my goblin alone so I could take his stuff, so it was terrific too.

I think the NPC's just don't care about the rules right now. They must have figured out it's a new release and they're just doing whatever they feel like before the bugfixes roll in.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

kittyfluffins

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is, in a word, dusk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:30:59 am »

Guys, I think I figured it out. DF2014 is an MMO where everyone in the world is played by someone. We've all actually been playing the same game. That's why everyone acts like an adventurer and ignores all allegiances .