Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes to Ore/Mineral Deposits  (Read 3387 times)

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Changes to Ore/Mineral Deposits
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:12 pm »

Previously in Dwarf Fortress, If a limonite vein was mined, or kaolinite/whatever have you, the mined deposits would leave behind a rough (mineral) floor. However, it has come to my attention that in 40.1, a mined mineral/ore will not leave behind a floor of its composition:

^ Where a chalk floor is located, there was previously a gypsum/limonite deposit. I'm assuming that this is a feature/intended change, but I'm not certain. Thoughts?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Ore/Mineral Deposits
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »

Well, it makes controlling the value of worker-class rooms a bit easier.
So that's a thing.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:12 pm »

So that's a thing.

Just this.

I've had issues with tantruming officials before because I missed a square of platinum somewhere that got smoothed and engraved. Dat telepathy, though.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:23:11 am »

Yeah I’ve had the same thing, the floor turns into the layer stone rather than the ore or mineral inclusion mined out. However, the walls remain as the ore or mineral when smoothed.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:59:28 pm »

So that's a thing.

Just this.

I've had issues with tantruming officials before because I missed a square of platinum somewhere that got smoothed and engraved. Dat telepathy, though.
Why aren't you just filling the noble's room with platinum chairs?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:27 pm »

So that's a thing.

Just this.

I had two nobles. One was a count and the other was a mayor. The count had the awesomesauce room, and I had to limit the mayor's quarters as a result of not wanting to offend the count. The count didn't care about the platinum floor, but it gave the mayor a seizure or something when he found out about it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:02 pm »

Mayors come and go though.

The thing I don't like about the new way this is handled is that it makes floors rather boring with only one colour. Worse if it is schist or some other brown stone.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »

I gave a baroness a three story golden tower from which to rule and filled it with gem encrusted gold, silver, and platinum furniture. The knowledge that someone else had a sort of nice room drove her to suicide despite having no other unhappy thoughts.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:39:09 pm »

Mayors come and go though.

The thing I don't like about the new way this is handled is that it makes floors rather boring with only one colour. Worse if it is schist or some other brown stone.

I hate veins of color disrupting my layout. I actually started modding all stone to be the same color.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:04:58 pm »

I gave a baroness a three story golden tower from which to rule and filled it with gem encrusted gold, silver, and platinum furniture. The knowledge that someone else had a sort of nice room drove her to suicide despite having no other unhappy thoughts.

Sig'd.

Also this pleases me greatly; I have OCD with fort colours. Now when I start mining into a nice brown mountain and end up in a huge bright yellow mass of stone I don't have to ragequit, I just replace the walls.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:32:37 pm »

Sig'd.

Also this pleases me greatly; I have OCD with fort colours. Now when I start mining into a nice brown mountain and end up in a huge bright yellow mass of stone I don't have to ragequit, I just replace the walls.

Same here, I always try to design my fort in levels with nice grey stone (don't like brown or yellow at all)