Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stealth in DF 2014  (Read 3229 times)

conductorbosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stealth in DF 2014
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:46:25 pm »

I am, for the most part, loving the new stealth system. Vision cones, sneaky sneaky, scaling walls to kill people and jump back out: wonderful wonderful stuff. I have noticed a few funky things, though: namely that stealthing seems to make you nigh-invisible (I've avoided being seen even in people's vision cones many times). Also, as I'm sure many of you have noticed, you can bash people over and over and over and over while stealthed behind them and often they'll never notice, make noise, or attempt to alert others. Luckily, these issues don't break the stealth system to the point of not being fun; I have no idea whether these issues qualify as "fix in this round/wave of fixes" issues or "take care of in months/years in next update" issues.

Aside from those niggling bits (mainly challenge-based; stealth will be more satisfying when they're fixed), everything is great.

What things have you all noticed/been able to accomplish using the stealth system?

Just now a goblin saw and shot me in the leg while I was stealthed, breaking a bone and knocking me unconscious. Then the goblin... left. Just walked away and started patrolling. I'm 95% sure it was a bug (him losing sight of me due to stealth/me being now on the ground, even though he'd already entered combat with me) but the idea of an enemy mistakenlyleaving me for dead was pretty cool. I awakened an hour later, crawled up behind him (couldn't stand due to the pain), and sliced his legs out from under him.
Re: Stealth in DF 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:37 pm »

I can have conversations with people that don't even know I am there, which is pretty funny. Come up behind someone and whisper in their ear that I killed the person they love most in the world, and they shout back "Murderer!" and then sob quietly while fleeing up a tree.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:40 pm »

you can bash people over and over and over and over while stealthed behind them and often they'll never notice, make noise, or attempt to alert others. Luckily, these issues don't break the stealth system to the point of not being fun.
I beg to differ, stealth is utterly brokenly overpowered because of it. You can even un-sneak behind someone and bash them and they still won't see you.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »

Once i climbed on tower and jumpend on guard... i slamed into him and he fly over fortyfications... Stealth is OP for now, game is unbalanced but still funny.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

conductorbosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 05:58:06 pm »

you can bash people over and over and over and over while stealthed behind them and often they'll never notice, make noise, or attempt to alert others. Luckily, these issues don't break the stealth system to the point of not being fun.
I beg to differ, stealth is utterly brokenly overpowered because of it. You can even un-sneak behind someone and bash them and they still won't see you.

I'm just hoping it gets sorted out (at least to the point where it can be fixed with modding/raw editing) before this update cycle ends.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 05:59:54 pm »

I'm just hoping it gets sorted out (at least to the point where it can be fixed with modding/raw editing) before this update cycle ends.
All that needs to be done is for the attacked NPC to face you when they get hit. It means you get a free thwack and they get to defend themselves.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »

Also any stealth attacks should always be direct hits ala when someone's unconscious. sicne they dotn know youre there they wont be dodging. Of course thats why sneaking into settlements at night is best.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:00 pm »

Yeah, it is blatantly unbalanced. I started my adventurer with no stealth abilities, and killed an entire camp of 11 goblins without any of them noticing. Two of them even went to sleep during the onslaught.

It is completely hilarious, though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:25:10 am »

Also any stealth attacks should always be direct hits ala when someone's unconscious. sicne they dotn know youre there they wont be dodging. Of course thats why sneaking into settlements at night is best.
I don't know about the SAME as unconscious, but anything you can see from where you're positioned yeah.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:08:01 am »

Once i climbed on tower and jumpend on guard... i slamed into him and he fly over fortyfications... Stealth is OP for now, game is unbalanced but still funny.

Jumping on people is pretty fun. I was in stealth (I always stay in stealth) and I constantly jump on people to let obstacles kill them when they slide away on the floor/ground. I killed a few trolls that way.
My post ends here.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:50 am »

Jumping on people is pretty fun. I was in stealth (I always stay in stealth) and I constantly jump on people to let obstacles kill them when they slide away on the floor/ground. I killed a few trolls that way.
Mario, is that you?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »

Watching the actions of enemies when I stealth around, I wonder if they can hear me sometimes, like when I open doors?

EDIT: perhaps they also can use Tracking to follow me even if they can't see me? I am leaving "a spattering of tears" whereever I go...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:02:06 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 07:55:25 pm »

Mario, is that you?

Mario Jumps on the Goomba, jamming the skull through the brain!

The spinning +Turtle Shell+ hits the Koops in the head, and the severed part sails off in an arc!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:07 pm »

Stealth is pretty broken, along with being semi-inconsistent. There's no penalty to moving in stealth that I can see, other than it will scare the shit out of allies. Yet I've had archers break stealth from the entire screen length away to plug me with an arrow. Spent an hour playing stealth peek-a-boo around a tent with a squad of goblins with two archers. I'd fling rocks at them while at the edge of their vision cone. Most of the time they'd not react even to being struck, other times someone would bust my stealth and I'd take an arrow and pass out. As I experimented further I circled way, way wide of the group, and when I came into the archers extended cone of vision, I'd get plugged again. Even sticking to trees, even creeping.

I basically ended up beating it by Shouting while hidden. Occasionally it'd entice an enemy to come investigate. Usually they're close enough they can pinpoint your location, and you don't have enough time to move without being seen.

All in all it reminded me strongly of a FPS shooter game with the AI cranked up. Leaning around corners, baiting enemy AI to come into a position you can safely kill them. I basically had to take out the entire group one by one, because even sprint around the corner and leaping into the middle of them, those damn archers would take me out in their next turn.

So while stealth is awesome, it needs a lot of work. It doesn't even seem to distinguish between being butt nekkid and wearing full iron armor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:42:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 09:36:26 pm »

Stealth is broken atm. I can sneak up behind a roc with no ambushing skill and stab it in its neck. I understand if I got lucky, but that first swing sword make the roc turn around.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.