Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I am My Own Worst Enemy  (Read 10269 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am My Own Worst Enemy
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 03:07:49 am »

Ah! That's what the word "autopsy" truly means.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 03:33:20 am »

Retire, unretire, and you'll find an identical duplicate of yourself sharing your tile under AI control

That's actually some seriously terrifying shit.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 04:25:02 am »

Does killing the clone help at all or is that literally killing yourself? As in, does killing your double just remove the faker or have a negative effect on the real you? Man, this can be hard to talk about.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 12:39:10 pm »

Does killing the clone help at all or is that literally killing yourself? As in, does killing your double just remove the faker or have a negative effect on the real you? Man, this can be hard to talk about.
Apparently, stabbing the double in the throat results in the same happening to you as well.

Its a much more efficient method of suicide than jumping into a chasm.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 01:10:46 pm »

Apparently, stabbing the double in the throat results in the same happening to you as well.

...That's actually some seriously terrifying shit.

But, think of the practical applications this could have if npc behavior was working properly. Creepiness aside, it's an extra body that moves where you move and (presumably)attacks what you attack. An extra attack move, even one targeting a random body part like AI do, could make all the difference in a fight. Used wisely, this could be as useful as a companion but require next to no micromanagement. It sounds safe to assume that any damage your double takes is inflicted on you as well, and that's the only downside of it I can think of.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:19:45 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 01:22:37 pm »

When I first did this, I was sitting in the starting house with my pals. I then tried to cut my right hand off with my right hand. I cut up my body and retired. Came back, attacked a villager, retired. Came back, disemboweled myself, ran around the house, and then ran off into the wilds only to bleed to death.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »

...That's actually some seriously terrifying shit.

But, think of the practical applications this could have if npc behavior was working properly. Creepiness aside, it's an extra body that moves where you move and (presumably)attacks what you attack. An extra attack move, even one targeting a random body part like AI do, could make all the difference in a fight. Used wisely, this could be as useful as a companion but require next to no micromanagement. It sounds safe to assume that any damage your double takes is inflicted on you as well, and that's the only downside of it I can think of.
Could an interaction/reaction/whatever be made to 'link' people, so that if one takes damage, the other does as well? That would be pretty cool, though I can't think of many uses.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »

Could an interaction/reaction/whatever be made to 'link' people, so that if one takes damage, the other does as well? That would be pretty cool, though I can't think of many uses.
That could make fighting much easier. Say you're fighting a bandit leader and his cronies. The leader has a shield and is very good at avoiding attacks. On the other hand, his underlings are not so robust. Since they're easier to hit, you could link the leader to one of his subordinates and proceed to kill the living voodoo doll. The bandit leader takes all the damage inflicted on the target, up to and including the coup de grace.
Linking enemies and killing one so the other dies would thin out large groups quickly and make fighting them easier. And if you know you're not going to win a fight, you could link yourself to your enemy so at least they go down with you.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 03:38:29 pm »

That could make fighting much easier. Say you're fighting a bandit leader and his cronies. The leader has a shield and is very good at avoiding attacks. On the other hand, his underlings are not so robust. Since they're easier to hit, you could link the leader to one of his subordinates and proceed to kill the living voodoo doll. The bandit leader takes all the damage inflicted on the target, up to and including the coup de grace.
Linking enemies and killing one so the other dies would thin out large groups quickly and make fighting them easier. And if you know you're not going to win a fight, you could link yourself to your enemy so at least they go down with you.
Gentlemen, we have an idea.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

emir-the-crow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 05:46:13 pm »

You know, if it's true that you take whatever damage your duplicate takes, you essentially have a Stand.

Now I almost want a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure mod with Hamon and stuff. So triggering "Trouble breathing!" on an enemy weakens their Hamon breathing and they're unable to fight back. :D

Sylveadiff

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Diplomat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:09 pm »

Everytime I use fast travel my questing log/map fills with events of me attacking myself and dying.
"I just wanted to eat the yummy"~Glass, Pantheon RPG

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 06:17:18 pm »

You know, if it's true that you take whatever damage your duplicate takes, you essentially have a Stand.

Now I almost want a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure mod with Hamon and stuff. So triggering "Trouble breathing!" on an enemy weakens their Hamon breathing and they're unable to fight back. :D

Incidentally, you can use modding to create a Road Roller Da attack, and you can even make your character say "WRYYYY".

It can be done, we have the technology. Urist's Bizarre Adventure mod must come to pass.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 03:09:01 pm »

Reading all this, basically, you have an AI-posessed "voodoo doll bug" (in programming terms, a clone that harms a copy in Corsican Brotherly manner (one takes the damage of the other at the same time)).

For contextual clarity: Basically, it means your clone, that should normally be non-reactive (based on many other games that featured this bug, like Doom, and many other classic titles.), has been possessed by an AI. Which, needless to say, is terrifying. You defeat it, you die.

Come and think of it. Did Toady unintentionally program Voodoo Dolls in-game? I mean, if we can itemize/weaponize this feature (make it non-AI-possessed... sorta. And by our own terms, like clay dummies and such), then we can produce more literal voodoo dolls (as in-game items) for tribes to use on passing adventurers.

Oh, the possibilities.

A necromancer, or some creature, creates a duplicate of their target, and with a hand in magic, is able to remotely damage them to their heart's content. Of course, I would advise stockpiling dolls if you have any intent on wiping out a town, or taking over it, by being a more literal example of a puppetmaster of the upper class.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:20:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 04:25:48 pm »

Have you played the original Tomb Raider or Anniversary? It's the bacon Lara in DF!
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 04:58:03 pm »

Have you played the original Tomb Raider or Anniversary? It's the bacon Lara in DF!
Beat it last year, I think (timeless classic. St. Francis Folly is still a cool level. Definitely engineering worthy of DF replication.). That is exactly what it is.

Kinda off-topic, but what kind of weapons does Bacon-Lara have? I mean, you whip out your weapons on her, and she mimicks; are those guns made of meat? Do they shoot teeth or something?

Sounds like a fell weapon idea. Fund it!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:59:35 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3