Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I am My Own Worst Enemy  (Read 10169 times)

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am My Own Worst Enemy
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:59:50 pm »

I never knew that the old adage "you are your own worst enemy" was so literal.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am My Own Worst Enemy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:09 pm »

I never knew that the old adage "you are your own worst enemy" was so literal.
How would one do this?

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:09:40 pm »

Retire, unretire, and you'll find an identical duplicate of yourself sharing your tile under AI control
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:19:46 pm »

Retire, unretire, and you'll find an identical duplicate of yourself sharing your tile under AI control
Ah!  That explains why I would move on my own when told to wait.  It also explains why I was scared of myself after amputating all those children's heads.  Most importantly, it explains why I have been unable to decapitate myself (after many many attempts): my own soul is haunting me and will not allow me the peace of death.

[edit] Archereon:  Is this in the bugtracker yet?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:25:57 pm by snjwffl »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:02 pm »

Yes, and Toady mentioned it, so he's certainly aware of it. You can get rid of the duplicate by fast traveling.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:45:54 pm »

Yes, and Toady mentioned it, so he's certainly aware of it. You can get rid of the duplicate by fast traveling.

Wow, everybody knows that fast travel heals the body, but it can even heal the mind and soul?
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 11:49:11 pm »

Well, I was my own worst enemy:

It looks like fast travelling doesn't get rid of it.  I created a new adventurer and immediately retired and un-retired him, but there was no duplicate.  I fast-travelled to a nearby town, and a duplicate appeared.  I Fast-travelled again and he dissapeared.  Then I fast-travelled back to the town and he reappeared.  Then I cut my head off.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:07:12 am by snjwffl »

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:51:24 am »

The first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club.
The second rule if Fight Club is... You do NOT talk about Fight Club.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:58 am »

In a Time before Time, You atacked You.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:07:24 am »

Something must be done. This might require an answer.

You must kill yourself before you kills you.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

Maybe a new way to handle depressed Dwarves in fortress mode?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Lobotomite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:51 pm »

Suicide!

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:25:13 am »

Highlander Mode engaged... There can be only one!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:21 am »

I find this highly amusing, somehow.

Now, can a legendary dodger/shield user successfully defend himself from himself?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 12:54:19 am »

Well, I was my own worst enemy:

It looks like fast travelling doesn't get rid of it.  I created a new adventurer and immediately retired and un-retired him, but there was no duplicate.  I fast-travelled to a nearby town, and a duplicate appeared.  I Fast-travelled again and he dissapeared.  Then I fast-travelled back to the town and he reappeared.  Then I cut my head off.
We must give thanks to Toady not finding this bug sooner, for if he did, we would not have this glorious account of suicide. (probably)
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.
Pages: [1] 2 3