Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dyret's assorted modding question thread  (Read 2905 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dyret's assorted modding question thread
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:03:53 am »

So I made a custom race for the last version, and there are obviously new tags to consider. The obvious ones I have noticed are attack speed for kicks (cut and paste?) and adding various movement modes. Are there others I need to add to make bring my creatures up to date? Is there a list somewhere yet? Oh, and I don't want my creatures to sweat or cry, essentially being glorified animal people, is that something I need to add or assumed by default?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:14:39 am by Dyret »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Updating custom creatures for 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:00 am »

I think to not have tears and sweat you just omit a few tags that didn't exist in previous versions, so they should already not sweat or have tears.   Spitting is the same way, if you want them to be able to spit you just copy the interaction lines for it from the humans or something, if you don't want them to, again they should need no change.

You will need to add the gaits to them though, I think those basically replace the SPEED: and SWIM_SPEED: tags, so you want to remove those and copy the gaits from the humans. (or whatever creature closest resembles your creature) the notes folder in the raws contains the gaits values for creatures with different max speeds if you wish them to be able to move faster or slower in one way or another.

You spotted the most obvious attack change already, but there is another one [ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK] that is on most vanilla kicks that apparently make multiple attacks using those parts harder.  Hydras have the opposite tag in their attacks if you want them to have an easier time of it.

Also some weirdness with necks got fixed but it means that you might need to change your body a bit to properly include a neck. For most cases it seems to be solved by using one of the new bodyparts formatted like HUMANOID_NECK.  Those are all found in body_default.

I doubt that's everything, but it should be close.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:46:25 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:47:56 am »

Yup, looks like it. :D

Now to force myself to learn Entity raws.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »

So hey again guys, I got my race up and running, but apparently there is a problem with them. If the game decides to place them as an entity it CTDs 20-30 years into worldgen. Now, there's still things I need to add to both the creature and entity files, but I wanted to get a 'quick and dirty' version up and running just to see how they work with the other races. Anyone know what the problem is? Am I missing anything essential for them to work as a civilization?

Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Entity

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:14:03 pm »

Can you access the error log?
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:08:11 am »

Yeah, it's just infinity+ pages of some Elf wanderer not finding his way home from (I believe) a seperate world... nothing about the ctd.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 02:27:54 pm »

Just from a quick look, they seem to lack [EQUIPS] in their creature definition, but my experience says that this shouldn't cause crashes...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:47 pm »

Thanks, that actually fixed everything.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong... I upped their starting couples and max entity population, and now they crash the game again. It looks like the crash is related to them being alive as an entity and doing... something.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:38:03 pm by Dyret »

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:13 pm »

They are missing a lot of the new entity tags. Take a look at the vanilla entity raws, particularly this bit:
   [EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]

My brain says that this shouldn't cause the crash you're experiencing, but it (hopefully) wouldn't hurt to put them in anyway.

Is it possible that they can't feed themselves? Their entity tags don't specify any crops that they use. Perhaps the game realises after a few years that they should have starved, and kills them all at once? Causing a crash?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:00:09 pm by Prudent Viper »
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 05:22:57 am »

Those tags are just alternatives to the ones he already has - only dwarves use those right now. The other entities still use the standard tags. Starvation shouldn't cause crashes either, but giving them crop tokens can't hurt. I'll try to test them out later today, hopefully.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 09:01:18 am »

This is just... weird. Addíng [SWIMS_LEARNED] to the creature seems to stop the world gen crashes, but... ??? ??? ??? WHY would it (if it somehow really is the cause, then SWIMS_INNATE presumable also works?)? And yeah, they pretty much starve.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 11:03:07 am »

You probably just got lucky with worldgen on that one, after reading your post I tried both that and flier in case it was something pathing related, but that doesn't seem to be it. It seem like the smaller the world is the more likely they are to crash the game, so I assumed it had something to do with their overly specific starting biome (tropical forest), but even after broadening both starting biome and supported biomes the same seems to be the case. Anyway I fixed their starvation issues, so when the game actually survives worldgen they do as well. Here are the updated raws.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:50 pm »

That's kind of good news for my sanity, but aggravating nonetheless. I can tell you it's the creature - replacing maorin with, for example, cyclopes prevents the crash. Replacing humans in the plains entity with the maorin causes the crash. But there's apparently nothing wrong enough* with the creature that it should cause the crash.  :-\ I've put the creature raws side by side with the dwarf raws, and can't see any "crash-worthy" errors

* RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:CLAW:600 does nothing. Relsizes are for body parts, and claws are tissue layers; in the final SELECT_CASTE:ALL, you're missing       [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE] before setting eye colors; and you're missing a child age token, if you want one that is.

Edit - also attack speeds for attacks other than kicks.

Furthermore, some more testing seems to point at the spouse conversion target tag as the culprit. It could kind of fit into the crash timeline that the game crashes when a night troll tries to convert a maorin, but I can't tell why the crash would occur at that point. Nothing I did to the dwarf raws so far crashed worldgen like that...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:18:29 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:59 pm »

I was able to get the world to load to 125 years by deleting START_GROUP_NUMBER, in the entity file. I'm guessing it's a dfhack thing maybe? to start with more than 7 dwarves or w.e race, it must be outdated or something.. I see it in the 34.11 masterwork mod but I got this error when I first ran the game with it in there.

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/entity_maorin1.txt"
SAVAGE:Unrecognized Entity Token: START_GROUP_NUMBER

When I did get it to run I had a weird bug in that I only found one small area they were located and they had NO TRADE as their nieghbour status but so did a tower in the same area while none of the other towers had it. In the other areas of the map. I guess your dudes don't trade as it isn't in the file.

*Edit: Sigh well, it may have been one problem but the game just crashed again when I tried another world. Honestly if I were you I'd find a race you like that is similar to it and steal it's code and then edit that code from 40.0X+. The errorlog isn't giving lots of hints and unless you want to read crashlogs idk off the top of my head what the problem is. Meph may since he's made lots of races.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:13:58 pm by LeoCean »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 06:21:18 am »

START_GROUP_NUMBER is simply an obsolete token. It hasn't done anything since the introduction of entity populations, and was simply removed entirely for one of the 0.40.x releases.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2