Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Climbing saves lives  (Read 6678 times)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing saves lives
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 04:22:46 pm »

Good thing i got a roof over my fort because it is made out of wood logs.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »

Hold on, is that confirmed? Walls constructed of blocks are unclimbable?

Not that simple. Arena and adventure testing says that block walls are substantially more difficult to climb. Someone with no climbing experience can navigate trees, log walls and rough earth walls with ease. Block walls however have a decent chance of causing an adept climber to lose their hold.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »

So a ninja can still climb the walls...but your average sieger wont have the best of luck with it? Sounds like a good idea to have multiple Z levels high of walls then
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:28:56 pm by dennislp3 »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 05:01:12 pm »

So a ninja can still climb the walls...but your average seiger wont have the best of luck with it? Sounds like a good idea to have multiple Z levels high of walls then

I've discovered you can only bypass fortifications via jumping in the arena and adventure mode so capping your walls with those is a good idea. It also stops your archers from deciding to flee the battle by running directly into the battle. It also seems that many animals have natural climbing ability so bare walls are no longer a good defense against hostile wildlife.

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 09:07:14 pm »

I've discovered you can only bypass fortifications via jumping in the arena and adventure mode so capping your walls with those is a good idea. It also stops your archers from deciding to flee the battle by running directly into the battle. It also seems that many animals have natural climbing ability so bare walls are no longer a good defense against hostile wildlife.

URIST, THE CARP ARE SCALING THE WALLS! TO ARMS!
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 09:14:34 pm »

Now I'm imagining ELEPHANTS climbing the walls. Or maybe just climbing trees and then going full Dumbo at you and blitzkrieging your dwarves from above.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »

You could, theoretically, cause your dwarves to lose their grip on the walls in a controlled manner with something like this. Hopefully this doesn't look weird to someone with a different resolution than me...

Side view:

Code: [Select]
          % % %
0════0    0════0
║&   #    ║
0════0    ║
->        ║           
══════════0

& = chained critter
# = drawbridge
% = All the booze
-> = entrance

This whole thing takes up 3 z-levels. Dwarves have to climb up the wall there, but they fall down when they see whatever terrifying beast you've got chained up in a passageway, far back enough they can only see it while they're climbing up the wall. The booze stockpile at the top should be the only one, to provide incentive. Ideally, this would be your regular booze stockpile, that you can restrict access to. The dwarves have to climb the wall to get at the booze, see scary thing, fall a safe 1 z-level, and are driven to climb it again by their thirst. Rinse and repeat as needed until your ninjadwarf is sufficiently skilled.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 09:58:11 pm »

Not that simple. Arena and adventure testing says that block walls are substantially more difficult to climb. Someone with no climbing experience can navigate trees, log walls and rough earth walls with ease. Block walls however have a decent chance of causing an adept climber to lose their hold.

And smoothed natural walls are supposed to be completely unclimbable.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 12:15:44 am »

I guess I'll have to cap all the outer rim walls with an extending floor at the top then, or can legendary climbers scale and stick to surfaces that are above them?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 12:20:23 am »

It's probably ended more than it's saved. My expedition leader shortly after arrival decided to go for a nice leisurely tree climb then saw a scary bird, lost his grip, and fell several z's to the ground causing his finger and foot to explode.

This is unnatural. Dwarves should have an aversion to climbing trees.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 01:06:06 am »

So if you want unclimbable walls either, make them something like 20 levels high so only a very lucky sod could climb the bastard, or place something up top to scare the climber off the wall, or cap the outside with a single overhang, or obsidian cast your outer walls then smooth them......

Or combine all the above.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 03:38:12 am »

I just laughed way to loud at my mental image when reading that, so I'm shamelessly going to snag that for my sig.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

So if you want unclimbable walls either, make them something like 20 levels high so only a very lucky sod could climb the bastard, or place something up top to scare the climber off the wall, or cap the outside with a single overhang, or obsidian cast your outer walls then smooth them......

Or combine all the above.

Or rig up a water supply at the top so if anything does look like climbing successfully, you can turn on the waterfall and wash them back down again.

Bonus points if it's spiders and you dig a plughole at the bottom.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:13 am »

So if you make a wall out of glass blocks, is it harder to climb than rock blocks? Do the materials change it so glass or metal would be more valuable to use slightly more valuable materials than rock blocks you get about 8000 of in a game year and sell for about 4 dorfbucks apiece?

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 01:02:46 pm »

I guess I'll have to cap all the outer rim walls with an extending floor at the top then, or can legendary climbers scale and stick to surfaces that are above them?

Nothing can stick to surfaces that extend more than 1 tile out (they actually climb AROUND things just 1 tile wide).

Would love confirmation on smoothed rock walls (as opposed to constructed block walls) being completely unclumbable though...
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!
Pages: 1 [2] 3