Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87

Author Topic: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - The Dark Age Has Ended  (Read 76001 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

THE DARK AGE

In 815 AD, in the long-shattered remains of the Roman empire, the British Isles is at war. Angles, Saxons and Jutes have captured much of the land, fighting the long war against the Welsh kings and savage Picts. Across the Irish Sea, the tribes of Ireland begin to unify... in 50 years the Danes will come, but who will still be standing when they arrive?

This is a historical game set in the Dark Ages of Britain, fifty years prior to the Viking Invasion. Players play one of 6 historic factions: The Anglo-Saxon Mercia, Northumbria and Wessex; and the native Welsh, Picts, and a small Irish kingdom). Each faction has a different goal, and multiple factions have the possibility of winning when the game ends after fifty turns. Now the 50 year mark has passed, Act 2 of the game involves fighting an all-out war against the Danish invaders.

The game is run using Vanigo's Empire Game. You'll be able to build cities, raise armies, and vie for control of the sceptred isles.

Vanigo Tutorial
Player interface
Admin Interface

Mercia - Rolepg
Wessex - Varee
Northumbria - Evil Marahadja
Wales - Zanz - Squeegy
Ireland - Lemon10
Pictland - Kashyyk
Danes - NQT

Spoiler: Win Conditions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:44:59 pm by notquitethere »

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Sign Ups 2/6
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:05:17 am »

well a noob here can i join? if so i want wssex
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Sign Ups 2/6
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:29:28 am »

Yep, you're good to join.  :D

I suggest having a flick through the ongoing Vanigo game so you get an idea how this works: you past the text from the Turn link into the box on the Player Interface link.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Sign Ups 3/6
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:01:17 am »

i was reading to the yet another vanigo game or something earlier so i think i kinda got the basic

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »

Sweet, looking forward to the start of the game.

If you want to play this without any magical units (which having the reagent inspiration building allowed will cause (not any of the elemental ones, but it will allow the basic wizards and priests)), then you have to mod the game to take out the reagent resource. If you want me to, I'll do it for you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »

I'd be interested in learning how to mod the rules, but yeah if you don't mind modding out the magical elements, I'd appreciate it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 01:59:46 pm »

Modding the rules is pretty trivial for the most part. For removing you just find stuff in there you don't like and delete it. Similarly you can look at the rules and copy what is there to add nearly anything you want (excluding some hardcoded things like population and labor). After that simply put the file somewhere public on the internet (eg. dropbox) and put that in as the rule set.

There is a single thing that is annoying though: I don't know what the file names for the pictures are on Vanigo's folder, and thus I don't know how to add new special resources/terrain/improvements without recycling existing pictures (eg. ether would be easy to add, but I don't know how to currently add a icon for it if I wanted a natural source for it).

Anyways. Here is the game with all reagent, mithril, pegasus and mana units and buildings cut out. The only exception is that both the healer and the apothecary were kept in (but modded to not use reagent) as they seemed rather acceptable in the real world.

E: I think it would be pretty interesting if the highest teir of units still in (eg. foundry and calvary yard units) were removed. It would make the game tech tree still flatter, which seems like it would be a rather interesting experiment (since you would build up a teir of tech less) as well as meaning that you would have larger groups of weaker units instead of slightly fewer stronger units.

E2: If anyone could find the URL of the pictures used for the games and share them it would be a huge help.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:29:25 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:39:03 pm »

Pictland looks like a nice challenge, so I'll take that if you don't mind?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Sign Ups 4/6
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:15 pm »

Mercia, give mercy, to all who oppose thee~
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Sign Ups 5/6
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »

i got a question, what does unify mean? alliance or take over?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »

i got a question, what does unify mean? alliance or take over?
Either, both, neither.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 04:59:50 am »

In real life the other Kingdoms became vassals to Mercia and then later Alfred the Great forged all the kingdoms into one against the threat of the Danes.

However, as there's no Vassal option (yet!), I just mean take over the territory of (unless someone can suggest a more elegant alternative?). Ireland has to own every Irish tile and the Mercians have to make two other factions give up (maybe allowing them to keep some of their land, but defeating all their cities and armies)

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:57 am »

Well can we like form an alliance out of the game? will that count?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »

Bump. Just need one more player for the game.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 05:21:38 pm »

Well can we like form an alliance out of the game? will that count?
In order for me to win, you have to submit. In the sense that you are no longer truly an independent player. So no, an alliance will not allow me to meet my win-con in that way, unless we ally to wipe out the Britons.

Interestingly enough, though, Northumbria and Mercia can both win, technically, with either of Mercia's wincons. They don't have to have any cities to have taken ireland/scotland, after all, and if the Irish, Welsh, and Picts are dead anyway, Mercia doesn't have to take it.

Mercia is pretty much the "one agains the world" with it's wincons though, as no matter who it makes war on it assists it in fulfilling said wincon.

They're also comparatively vulnerable early game, relative to the two nations nearest it; it doesn't start with any nice labor-producing cities, after all. It might eventually catch up, though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:24:45 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87