Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: more challenging trading  (Read 9284 times)

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: more challenging trading
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2014, 07:56:34 am »

GoblinCookie,  I don't have the motivation to both explain and justify economics in general via forum post, so I will just ignore your posts for now.

I reached this conclusion last month and have avoided this discussion as a result. This thread has gotten cluttered as well as unpleasant. I motion the discussion of developing a new, dynamic system of item value be opened in a clean, new thread. Should anyone wish to second this motion, please have the honor of opening said thread. If this motion is opposed, say so and we shall continue here.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2014, 09:15:02 am »

Yeah keeping the topic focused should help cut down on the clutter.  Dynamic item value is one particular topic to focus on.  If you want to start a new thread with better focus, I will probably  respond to it.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2014, 04:35:55 pm »

GoblinCookie,  I don't have the motivation to both explain and justify economics in general via forum post, so I will just ignore your posts for now.

I reached this conclusion last month and have avoided this discussion as a result. This thread has gotten cluttered as well as unpleasant. I motion the discussion of developing a new, dynamic system of item value be opened in a clean, new thread. Should anyone wish to second this motion, please have the honor of opening said thread. If this motion is opposed, say so and we shall continue here.
Item value is what we already have...? That's not really a suggestion. Depending on what you mean by "dynamic." Using actual economic principles to drive the dynamics is exactly what I'm working on. Nearly everything being discussed is about proper dynamics of trade values...  Using something cheaper and dirtier won't work - you'll just get a shitty runescape "economy" that is totally unsatisfying.

I intend to start a new thread, but not right now in the middle of things. This is slowly revealing various kinks in an economic system and reminding me of what sorts of problems need answers. A lot of things I hadn't considered thoroughly one way or the other, even in the last page or two. I'm also currently programming some test code to try and find unexpected obstacles in implementation.

Will start a new thread when the entire algorithm is semi-tested and streamlined and complete. Otherwise it will just be this same thing continuing under a different name, which won't help anything. Might as well keep in in one thread and not clutter up people's new replies pages with MULTIPLE annoying threads.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:41:31 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]