Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X  (Read 36814 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2014, 07:41:49 am »

Did some 16x based on Mayday to make "portraits" for the races. Here's the Dwarven subraces.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »

And Elves!

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2014, 02:00:51 pm »

Those are some really nice tiles, how are the raws coming along so far?

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2014, 02:06:09 pm »

Those are some really nice tiles, how are the raws coming along so far?

Started on Elves the other night, they're a pain. I'm trying to make them as playable and broad as dwarves so I have to intermix things and finding out what to include/exclude is a pain.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:44 am »

So for base Dwarves/Elves/Humans I'm thinking of giving each a special workshop (eventually) that will help differentiate them a little.

Dwarves get the Stonesmith's Workshop, this is a workshop where a Stonesmith can carve stone into Stone Armor or Weapons, they're incredibly heavy, and the weapons are mostly good for bashing but not edged attacks or stabbing, but the armor will provide solid early protection for your dwarves. I'd like to make the Stone Weapons/Armor decorated if possible.

Elves get the Woodsmith's Workshop, similar to the Stonesmith but for Wood. Wooden armor is far from as effective but much lighter, Wooden weapons vary, decent for stabbing, not that great for edged or bashing attacks.

Humans get the Papermill/Scribe's Workshop. Papermill creates Paper from Wood Pulp and Water, then the Scribe's Workshop combines Leather, Paper, and Ink (TBD how to make this) to create Books which are a craft (or simply Paper/Ink to make Scrolls to avoid conflicts with current books.) Would like to make the books/scrolls "engraved" with images if possible.

Its worth noting some races might get one of these workshops as a second unique, so the Storm Dwarves also will get access to the Papermill/Scribe's Workshop, Wild Dwarves might also get a Woodsmith, etc.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:47:06 am by Shadowclaimer »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2014, 08:47:50 am »

It might be neat if surface races had unique mechanics for making life on the surface easier. I imagine that would entail a whole lot more work though, and I don't have any great ideas for it off the top of my head.

I'm excited to see your elves when they're done!

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2014, 08:56:57 am »

Elves are going to be a pain honestly, I'm so torn on how to do them. The sad thing is its looking like players are going to have to /make/ them surface races. So its a roleplaying kinda thing.

I could try to find a way to do Pallisades or a custom construction that's really simple wooden walls that aren't as fancy, for quick construction. Or potentially tents as early replacements for beds made from Leather that can sit in the open or something. I don't know yet.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:51 am »

I'm never opposed to roleplay, and I think there's quite a lot of people who sacrifice their fort's efficiency for the sake of making it look nicer.

Three quick ideas (and I don't know enough about modding to know if they're possible):
-Cave depression instead of cave adaption. Make elves get steadily more depressed the more time they spend underground. It kind of feels like a cheap way to get people outside, but it makes sense from a lore perspective.

-Some way to shape the existing trees into structures. This might be impossible to implement though. Being able to build structures on trees, and turn parts of trees into staircases and the like.

-To echo your palisades idea, the ability to build walls similar to how bridges are built. I.e., building a multi-tile wall as one object. Again, don't know how possible this is. It would also be neat if we could grow wooden walls in a way that they didn't need logs to build.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:42 am »

Check out masterwork humans for ways to keep them aboveground. Something to do with interactions and triggers.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2014, 09:47:52 am »

I'm never opposed to roleplay, and I think there's quite a lot of people who sacrifice their fort's efficiency for the sake of making it look nicer.

Three quick ideas (and I don't know enough about modding to know if they're possible):
-Cave depression instead of cave adaption. Make elves get steadily more depressed the more time they spend underground. It kind of feels like a cheap way to get people outside, but it makes sense from a lore perspective.

-Some way to shape the existing trees into structures. This might be impossible to implement though. Being able to build structures on trees, and turn parts of trees into staircases and the like.

-To echo your palisades idea, the ability to build walls similar to how bridges are built. I.e., building a multi-tile wall as one object. Again, don't know how possible this is. It would also be neat if we could grow wooden walls in a way that they didn't need logs to build.

Cave Depression, if doable or if Cave Adaptation is easily changeable, would be the best way to do it I'd imagine.

Shaping Trees I don't think is possible sadly, however I fully expect people to build some awesome structures up in the new multitile trees.

Check out masterwork humans for ways to keep them aboveground. Something to do with interactions and triggers.

Will definitely check it out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »

It uses the CAVE_ADAPT COUTER_TRIGGER.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2014, 08:03:08 pm »

A direct opposite of cave adaption obviously isn't what you want. You don't want "outdoors adaption" that makes it harder for elves to go in caves the less time they spend underground. You'd probably want something that counts up by 5 or 10 for every step spent underground, and down by 1 for every step spent outdoors. The higher the count gets, the less happy the elf.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »

That would require DFHack and would be awfully hackish.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2014, 10:39:30 pm »

Unhappy thoughts from being underground makes sense.  I wouldn't take it any further than unhappy thoughts, if that much is even plausible.

I have a couple other suggestions:

1.  Elves just plain wouldn't be as good at digging, would they?  I suggest making mining more time-consuming somehow for the elves than it is for the dwarves.  Make it more difficult for them to produce tools capable of digging, also.  Even if they get harder woods, a wooden pickaxe still won't have the weight behind it that a metal one will.

2.  I don't know if you plan on allowing elves to work with stone at all.  If you do, and I'm sure this is obvious but I'll throw it out anyway, just make them more easily produce higher volumes of wooden blocks than stone blocks for construction.

3.  The other obvious suggestion of making harder woods (ironbark) has already been made.  Just want to suggest that instead of doing this purely through making different types of trees that produce this wood (which would be insulting to every other race because why can't they harvest it, too), give elves access to special ways of treating wood to make it stronger.  For example through reactions that combine some plant extracts with a log or something.  Similar in game mechanical terms to dwarven ability to produce alloys.  This approach opens up a pretty broad expanse of options, I think.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:42:59 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2014, 10:49:08 pm »

The elves don't necessarily all have to be so similar. It might make sense for the Snow Elves (and Frost Dwarves, Ice Trolls, etc.) to be able to build things out of ice. It might be really neat if these cultures are designed around living in a freezing climate all year.

I don't know how similar to drow you envision your dark elves being, but if they're a cavern race, they'd probably be relatively similar to dwarves and their stonework.

Also, is there anything we can do to help out, Shadowclaimer?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12