Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X  (Read 36710 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [WIP] [Beta 7/13/14] - 0.40.3+
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 12:59:48 pm »

I'm thinking of having my giants be more like larger dwarves but not like MONSTROUS (more like 8-12 ft tall dwarves). Ogres would be the more dimwitted cousins of giants that typically find friends among the goblins and sub-orcs.

One thing I'm doing to reduce core work is that the various races share a lot of information/patterns, but its the end flavor and such that changes. However when I go into things to make them more flavorful when played it'll add a lot of work. My goal is to get them ingame and generating/acting correctly first, then focus on diversifying them further.

Its kinda what I did with Metallurgy, it released with a few metals at a time, ended up with like 70+ metals, then we went back and diversified each one more heavily.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:05:29 pm by Shadowclaimer »
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »

PTW.

This seems really interesting. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:56 pm »

This looks really great. PTW. Though perhaps you could make each race optional?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

Files will all come separated of course, you can simply remove any you don't want. Each Entity and Creature comes with its own .txt file, you simply can just choose not to add those to your folder if you don't want them in your game =)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:59 pm »

Sounds good, thanks! What part of this is ready yet?
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 02:13:51 pm »

Sounds good, thanks! What part of this is ready yet?

Dark Dwarves are in testing at the moment, I'm trying to get their babysnatchers/sieges working well since they are big on slavery and such. The rest of the dwarves are implemented but really barebones at the moment. The issue is I keep losing fortresses to save corruption or crashes before I hit a point where they might siege lol honestly testing is like 99.9% of the time it takes to make this mod, its like 15 minutes of token finding/spreadsheet making and then 40 hours of testing.

I have an Alpha of the Dark Dwarves up on the first page for testing for anyone who wants to see if they can get themselves attacked.

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:30 pm »

Hey Shadowclaimer,
I just wanted to know, if you also intend to give each entity one or more unique Workshops? I guess that could complicate things a lot, but it increases the different feel you get from playing different civs very much, I guess.

Maybe it is even possible to give certain civs access to special materials?
Like give the Frost Dwarves an reaction of "sacrificing" booze, food and fur (or whatever) for a special Metal (e.g. Bifrost) that has awesome stats and is very useful.

Also, I would suggest, that you expand the poisons of vanilla df (similar what to MWDF is doing, maybe even more) to be easily applicable, as several civs of yours really fit in the poison theme. Just make poison-farming more easily doable through maybe some new plants (or poisons to be created from combining existing plants) and you're good to go.

Are you also intending to design special pets for every civ? In this area I might even be able to contribute some work. Tell me, if you want/need help in this area.

Additionally, as someone might have mentioned, some makeshift GUI might be useful for selecting the races you want in your game. If you leave just everything enabled, you might run into problem with embark, where your frost dwarves get to embark with firebirds or something like that.

All in all, keep up the good work, this is indeed a large mod, but certainly very flavourful.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22:51 pm »

Hey Shadowclaimer,
I just wanted to know, if you also intend to give each entity one or more unique Workshops? I guess that could complicate things a lot, but it increases the different feel you get from playing different civs very much, I guess.

Maybe it is even possible to give certain civs access to special materials?
Like give the Frost Dwarves an reaction of "sacrificing" booze, food and fur (or whatever) for a special Metal (e.g. Bifrost) that has awesome stats and is very useful.

Also, I would suggest, that you expand the poisons of vanilla df (similar what to MWDF is doing, maybe even more) to be easily applicable, as several civs of yours really fit in the poison theme. Just make poison-farming more easily doable through maybe some new plants (or poisons to be created from combining existing plants) and you're good to go.

Are you also intending to design special pets for every civ? In this area I might even be able to contribute some work. Tell me, if you want/need help in this area.

Additionally, as someone might have mentioned, some makeshift GUI might be useful for selecting the races you want in your game. If you leave just everything enabled, you might run into problem with embark, where your frost dwarves get to embark with firebirds or something like that.

All in all, keep up the good work, this is indeed a large mod, but certainly very flavourful.

That's part of my later phase, first step is get them ingame, pretty "cycled" or similar to eachother. Then start fleshing them out. Weapons, Workshops, etc. are planned for them all for the phase where they each get differentiated a lot more. I'd love to do special poisons for the snakes, scorpions, etc. that are farmed and such.

Its all a learning experience for me, so I'm starting with what I know (Entities and a little on Creatures) then moving from there.

Dorwin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »

That's part of my later phase, first step is get them ingame, pretty "cycled" or similar to eachother. Then start fleshing them out. Weapons, Workshops, etc. are planned for them all for the phase where they each get differentiated a lot more. I'd love to do special poisons for the snakes, scorpions, etc. that are farmed and such.

Its all a learning experience for me, so I'm starting with what I know (Entities and a little on Creatures) then moving from there.

Agreed. Keep it simple for now.

However, when you do start implementing non vanilla flavor, can you keep them modular?

I know you are coming from Minecraft, the modding scene there is a little spoiled with the FTB launcher for turning on an off mods you don't like. Sadly it seems with DF that its an all or nothing, with it being up to each mod creator as to how discrete their content is.

I don't want to have to worry if the mod is balanced or not around all the new workshops, materials and such. If I can I'd just like to have the races balanced for vanilla with all the extra flavor optional.

I was a big fan of your metallurgy mod btw.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:11:47 pm by Dorwin »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 05:28:35 pm »

However, when you do start implementing non vanilla flavor, can you keep them modular?

I know you are coming from Minecraft, the modding scene there is a little spoiled with the FTB launcher for turning on an off mods you don't like. Sadly it seems with DF that its an all or nothing, with it being up to each mod creator as to how discrete their content is.

I don't want to have to worry if the mod is balanced or not around all the new workshops, materials and such. If I can I'd just like to have the races balanced for vanilla with all the extra flavor optional.

Files will all come separated of course, you can simply remove any you don't want. Each Entity and Creature comes with its own .txt file, you simply can just choose not to add those to your folder if you don't want them in your game =)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 05:35:51 pm »

Balance is always a core facet of everything I do. Every race will be disableable individually (I love modular setups, makes everything better.)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [WIP] - 0.40.2+
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »

Kobolds in vanilla DF are small goblin-like brown creatures with huge yellow eyes. DF community has had Cutebolds (puppy-like )and Lizard-bolds variations which have nothing to do with vanilla, but they are very popular. Follow your heart!
Looking at the raws kobolds actually aren't goblin like at all. They're not immortal, they have brown skin, yellow eyes, and they lay eggs. I think the best thing to do with them is to give them is to go with the way they are in vanilla because they're so different than any other kobold. As for the interpretation of trolls it seems they're a lot like elder scrolls trolls. They're far smaller than ogres (ogres in DF are huge just a newborn is 3 times the size of an adult human), though still about three and a half the size of a human, and have coarse fur.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [WIP] - 0.40.2+
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 06:19:22 pm »

Kobolds in vanilla DF are small goblin-like brown creatures with huge yellow eyes. DF community has had Cutebolds (puppy-like )and Lizard-bolds variations which have nothing to do with vanilla, but they are very popular. Follow your heart!
Looking at the raws kobolds actually aren't goblin like at all. They're not immortal, they have brown skin, yellow eyes, and they lay eggs. I think the best thing to do with them is to give them is to go with the way they are in vanilla because they're so different than any other kobold. As for the interpretation of trolls it seems they're a lot like elder scrolls trolls. They're far smaller than ogres (ogres in DF are huge just a newborn is 3 times the size of an adult human), though still about three and a half the size of a human, and have coarse fur.

Yea I'm going to be shifting them probably, Kobolds are going lizard-like and Trolls are shifting to be a smaller form of primitive/sub-elf. Ogres will be shrinking a bit, I've got a setup I like with them after doing some work. I think you guys will be pleased.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 01:07:20 pm »

On the previous topic of custom workshops and such.

When I get around to it, what kinds of ideas would you guys like to see? I've got some minor things written down (Papermill-Scribe's Workshop for making decorative books that are crafts, Icecarver's Workshop that turns water and other materials into "Ice" or Pykrete for construction purposes, and Poisoner's Workshop for poisoning weapons.)

Anyone else have anything cool or nifty that fits one of the races?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 02:18:53 pm »

Poisoning requires DFHack.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12