Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X  (Read 36819 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2014, 08:24:12 am »

no further messing about is needed.just add the tag,and you're good to go.the catch is,however,that differences between the races will be minimal without modding.humans will have more weapons but no steel,elves will have more animals but wooden equipment(no mention on how they find wood without chopping trees is made),and goblins will have evil animals and no need to eat or drink,and...that's pretty much it.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2014, 10:41:18 am »

You simply add Civ Controllable to the race you wanna play and remove it from Stone Dwarves and base Dwarves (I actually advise removing base Dwarves altogether personally.)

Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Arrek

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves are overrated. Magma is the new dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 02:34:28 pm »

This mod looks like it will be a good one, even though it's more of a 'fortress defense' style mod. Still, the added flavor will be absolutely lovely, and the Legends mode is sure to have hilarity and bloodshed aplenty.

However, I wish to make a suggestion. Could you perhaps place a space between 'Darkdwarves' or 'Stormdwarves'? Reading it is kind of difficult when it is one word.

In addition, I do agree that you should get rid of the native races and replace dwarves with Stone Dwarves (or Stonedwarves ::)). It would free up some space in the generation of the world, I would think.

Best of luck to you, good sir.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »

There should be a space ingame between the names, its just their reference tag when I'm "coding" them.

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2014, 07:45:55 pm »

Do you currently have a plan when it comes to tilesets for all these new races?

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2014, 12:36:50 am »

Do you currently have a plan when it comes to tilesets for all these new races?

Most of the basic branches (Elves/Humans/Dwarves) I could do for some of the major tilesets with recolors/modifications. I'd like to approach the tileset makers once the mod takes off though and see if they could help me out.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2014, 01:27:35 am »

It's something I wouldn't mind taking a crack at, if it needs doing. I would probably come up with something custom though, as I wouldn't want to ape somebody else's work.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts how how exactly to make subraces distinct. You would want to have the color of the clothes differentiate profession, I imagine, so skin color, hair color, and clothing trip would probably have to designate subrace. Or they could be completely different looking. It's an interesting project.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:21 am »

It's something I wouldn't mind taking a crack at, if it needs doing. I would probably come up with something custom though, as I wouldn't want to ape somebody else's work.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts how how exactly to make subraces distinct. You would want to have the color of the clothes differentiate profession, I imagine, so skin color, hair color, and clothing trip would probably have to designate subrace. Or they could be completely different looking. It's an interesting project.

An example would be Fire Dwarves, their look is based on Slayers from Warhammer. Big orange mohawks and fiery beards, shirtless but wear pants/slacks, covered in tattoos. Storm Dwarves wear facepaint and have large fluffy as hell beards with lightning bolt mustaches. They prefer robes and hoods.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2014, 11:56:51 am »

You simply add Civ Controllable to the race you wanna play and remove it from Stone Dwarves and base Dwarves (I actually advise removing base Dwarves altogether personally.)
You don't actually need to remove [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from dwarves to play as other entities, it just makes it less confusing to select which civ to play as. To choose a civ with multiple [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] entities you press tab a few times on the embark screen until you find the neighbors list. The entity at the top of the list is the one you're playing as currently. To change that you press tab again to go to the civ selection list where you can choose which civ to play as. Change that then go back to the neighbors screen to check which one you're playing as until you get the one you want. There's also normally a few hints from the name of the civ as (default) humans always have something like empire or confederation in their title, or dwarves normally have earth related words in the title, stuff like that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:34 pm »

You don't actually need to remove [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from dwarves to play as other entities, it just makes it less confusing to select which civ to play as. To choose a civ with multiple [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] entities you press tab a few times on the embark screen until you find the neighbors list. The entity at the top of the list is the one you're playing as currently. To change that you press tab again to go to the civ selection list where you can choose which civ to play as. Change that then go back to the neighbors screen to check which one you're playing as until you get the one you want. There's also normally a few hints from the name of the civ as (default) humans always have something like empire or confederation in their title, or dwarves normally have earth related words in the title, stuff like that.

Huh that's interesting, I didn't know that.

I still suggest removing Dwarves entirely, Stone Dwarves are meant to be a replacement for them.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2014, 09:09:57 pm »

I suppose my primary interest lies in having a relatively playable elven race. It strikes me that without significant change, it'll be hard to get elves that feel like elves, though. They'd need ways of growing and shaping trees, or something. I suppose dark elves could still be cavern dwellers though, but that would be a rather predictable direction to take them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:14:58 pm by Rekov »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2014, 09:18:45 pm »

Honestly its a major issue I foresee running into, at the moment they're going to copy dwarves in the list of things they can do with maybe some extra bits (as well as unique weapons and such) I'll have to really think about some things to enhance them. Maybe allow them to make plants that produce wood (IE: tree farms) for a starter?

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2014, 09:26:37 pm »

Tree farms would probably be great for making beds and so on. I guess the official lore is that elves use wood to make things because they have ways of harvesting the wood that doesn't harm the plants, so if they can grow wood ethically, they could theoretically use it for whatever. It might also be worth considering some metal-like woods. Ironbark or whatever.

The other thing that might be neat is the ability to grow constructions instead of building them. I don't know how different that would be mechanically, though.

As for sprites, was there a particular visual style you were looking to emulate, and what dimensions were you thinking for the tiles? A lot of work would obviously need to be done to create an equivalent set of all the professions and tools and nobles for the other races.

EDIT:
Well, I've determined that pixel art is both very hard, and that 16x16 is very little indeed to work with.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:01:46 am by Rekov »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:32 am »

I was just planning on emulating whatever tileset I made them for. Was going to try to tackle like 2 or 3 major tilesets.

I used to work primarily in 16x with Minecraft, its an acquired taste.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2014, 02:41:56 pm »

Toady just fixed a bug for 40.6 that should fix an issue with Advanced Civs, basically civs that weren't your home civ sometimes weren't showing up in civilizations even after encountering them. Also sometimes they weren't invading when they were supposed to.

This should hopefully fix the issues I've been experiencing in testing.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12