Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X  (Read 36465 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
[Mod] Advanced Civilizations [Beta 7/30/14] - 0.40.X
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:39:12 am »

Tired of the same old goblins sieging your fortress every fall? Humans and Elves not enough for you to hate? Want to watch !FUN! spread to dozens of other civilizations as the world rises and falls? Armok save you are you tired of playing as Dwarves? Then you, sir/madam, need Advanced Civilizations!

=====Advanced Civilizations=====

Hey there everyone, Shadowclaimer here, some of you may remember me from such mods as Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, or Agriculture for Minecraft, or Toxic Worlds for Starbound. I've returned to my old love, Dwarf Fortress, to bring some modding fun to this game with the new 2014 update. So I present to you, Advanced Civilizations.

Advanced Civilizations attempts to expand the base set of five civilizations in the game to allow more diverse and interesting world generation as well as opening up new and unique play opportunities for people who want to try out new ways to play the game besides dwarves.

At its base the Advanced Civilizations mod branches out the core groupings of Dwarves, Humans, and Elves into various subsections with their own views on the world and minor physical differences, then it adds entirely new groupings and branches of core races like Orcs and Giants that will construct their own civilizations and potentially smash punier ones. What results is a full and lush world brimming with opportunities for death, destruction, and warfare.

You can catch streams of development/play of the mod at: http://www.twitch.tv/shadowclaimer

You can also catch development updates and more by following me on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Shadowclaimer

For more detailed information on the various civilizations, their governments, and their personalities check out the comprehensive notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPr023YHYR0dDl4NzNCUF9VMXhYTmNYVW1TQ19oZ0E#gid=0 (Comments are enabled, so you can ask questions, provide suggestions, etc.)

This mod is still a work in progress, the dwarven civilizations are playable and being fancied up/tested at the moment. Eventually I'd like to get every single race on this list playable and ingame. I'll be releasing it piecemeal at first (Dwarves being update 1) then from there each subsection (Elves, then Humans, then Beastmen, etc.).

Releases
Spoiler: 7/30/2014 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7/29/2014 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7/23/2014 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7/18/2014 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7/13/2014 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:19:58 pm by Shadowclaimer »
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod] Advanced Civilizations [WIP] - 0.40.2+
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:00:19 pm »

This looks very fun and can add some variety in the world, but why are kobolds sub Orcs?
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Dorwin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:20:33 pm »

I think it will be a good mod! I've been playing Masterwork for a while, but I feel it is very heavy handed with its other content besides races. Since it's not too modular I just have to deal with it.

However your mod looks to scratch the racial content itch while still being self contained.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »

Godspeed and best of luck! These are the sort of things I play this game for.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »

This looks very fun and can add some variety in the world, but why are kobolds sub Orcs?

To be fair I don't know a TON about how DF Kobolds are supposed to be, I haven't paid too much attention to them. I wasn't sure if they went with the goblinoid type Kobolds or the scaly super sub-dragonoid kobolds. I'll be adjusting them from there most likely.

And yea I'm hoping to keep this just a bonus races mod, or if there is other content split the mod up into submods (but I highly doubt that'll be happening.)

The only thing I'm torn on at the moment is whether to leave the normal races ingame or replace them with their variant (dwarves -> stone dwarves, elves -> wood elves, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:28:39 pm by Shadowclaimer »

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:36:26 am »

Kobolds in vanilla DF are small goblin-like brown creatures with huge yellow eyes. DF community has had Cutebolds (puppy-like )and Lizard-bolds variations which have nothing to do with vanilla, but they are very popular. Follow your heart!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:39 am »

This mod sounds really nice.

One thing: Trolls are angry Sub-Elves? Don't get it. Also if you want my opinion, replace the default races with their variants. Having Stone Dwarves and Dwarves as duplicates of each other would be a little pointless. Same for elves.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 11:13:32 am »

This mod sounds really nice.

One thing: Trolls are angry Sub-Elves? Don't get it. Also if you want my opinion, replace the default races with their variants. Having Stone Dwarves and Dwarves as duplicates of each other would be a little pointless. Same for elves.

There's three ways I can go with trolls, and both are ones I'm heavily considering.

First variant is an ugly evolutionary branch of elves that have been shunned by the rest of the elves. They've evolved to be dumber and far stronger and larger over the millenia of hiding away in caves than their other elven brethren.

Seceond variant is an ugly variant of elves that have been shunned by the rest of the elves, but instead of being dumber/stronger, they're just uglier and have large tusks and ears. Some like caves, some don't.

Third variant is the current Orc sub-race giant monstrosity that's more akin to a tusked ogre.

I might go with the second and make Trolls an entire race set, then replace Goblins siege unit with Ogres and Ettins.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:05 am »

Kobolds in vanilla DF are small goblin-like brown creatures with huge yellow eyes. DF community has had Cutebolds (puppy-like )and Lizard-bolds variations which have nothing to do with vanilla, but they are very popular. Follow your heart!

I know Lizardbolds are more DND/Pathfinder accurate compared to goblinoid. I'm not sure which to do honestly. I might just have them be lizard variants because Goblins kinda fill their role already, whereas Kobolds would be a smaller Drakonid/Lizardman instead. (Effectively Lizard Goblins vs normal Goblins.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »

I should probably start with the posting-to-watch for mods in development again. So I'm doing that now.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:51:48 pm »

I should probably start with the posting-to-watch for mods in development again. So I'm doing that now.

They really should do a WIP forum honestly, I'm not a fan of having this sitting in the open area here.

But oh well. I'm doing some testing on twitch right now (http://www.twitch.tv/shadowclaimer) with the Dark Dwarves, going to see if their babysnatchers/sieges work. I set up right next door to them on the world lol

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:53:19 pm »

The open area here is the WIP forum.

At least, that's sorta what I had in mind.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:54:56 pm by Putnam »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »

The open area here is the WIP forum.

It just seems more like a help area than anything, but I get what you're saying.

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:59:28 am »

This looks really promising, lots of diversity.

Making non-dwarven civs playable requires lots of tweaking though, don't you think? Like: "your starting seven from the mountainhomes etc., up to desriptions of workshops and professions...

Also, I have one request: Can you also incorprate the Tweaks and Stuff "mod" in this one? There are some things that are just incredibly broken and that are changed by that mod.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:20 am »

This looks really promising, lots of diversity.

Making non-dwarven civs playable requires lots of tweaking though, don't you think? Like: "your starting seven from the mountainhomes etc., up to desriptions of workshops and professions...

Also, I have one request: Can you also incorprate the Tweaks and Stuff "mod" in this one? There are some things that are just incredibly broken and that are changed by that mod.

I actually don't know much about the changes to quality of life of playable-ness. Is there a guide to all of the things necessary? Are most of them simply aesthetic?

I could effectively start out focusing on the basics, then eventually fix the aesthetics later.

And I don't think I'll merge any mods into mine, but I'll try to work any fixes they do to civs into mine.

-

Progress Today:
-Decided to give each race a custom gem cut, something minor that'll give them some more flavor on the world map. So you can find gems that have been traded across civilizations or maybe special artifact gems.
-Testing on Dark Dwarves, still haven't seen their babysnatchers and sieges yet, I'm sure that'll change soon.
-Added lines for using Evil things to Dark Dwarves
-Fixed up Dark Dwarf language/art usage, they'll name things far more maliciously now
-Added "primary spheres" to each race, there's one or more spheres they're way more proficient in than the others

Test Version Release (7/13/2014)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/55c1xd4ffq6gv8e/Advanced%20Civilizations%207-14-14.zip

Download all three, drop in raws, go! This test is just the Dark Dwarves for the time being.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:14:11 am by Shadowclaimer »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12