Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: I can't kill a single Dwarf with 100 Whales  (Read 17306 times)

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
I can't kill a single Dwarf with 100 Whales
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:19:11 pm »

So, for a bit of fun I've been dropping Whales from the sky onto a Dwarf in object testing and I've discovered that no matter how hard I try, even taking direct control of him... he will always manage to dodge them, without any skill in dodging, or anything for that matter.

I'm not sure why this is happening, I can kill a Dwarf by dropping another Dwarf onto him from a great height just fine, but Whales just seem to be incredibly easy to dodge out of the way of. I've even tried dropping several waves in a row on him and still he dodges every time!

I'm getting a kick out of the thought of this poor dwarf just looking up at the sky and thinking: WHY HAS ARMOK FORSAKEN ME!?

I'll try and remove his arms and legs and see if he can still get out of the way then... the little git... now how do I do that without killing him or knocking him out?
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't kill a single Dwarf with 100 Whales
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »

You could try using a bowl of petunias instead.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:30:43 pm »

xD this was the main inspiration for trying it with Sperm Whales in the first place, and they do explode into gore at the end, these ones don't think of pleasant things on the way down though... the ones that survive, despite land drowning and having large chuncks pulped attempt to rip each other to pieces.

I seem to be noticing a pattern: bigger things moving at high speeds seem easier to dodge than small things moving at high speeds... do heavy things in the Dwarf Fortress universe fall slower? I'll double check with another Bronze Collosus and then something like a cat and see how often they actually hit.

EDIT: fixed some dodgy grammar
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:32:27 pm by Neo_Spade »

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:33:55 pm »

So, if you looked up into the sky and saw a whale hurtling towards you, would you not run for your life? It would be easier to notice than something relatively the same size as you falling towards you. I can't tell if this theory is true, but I'm just using logic.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:34:32 pm »

[snip]

EDIT: fixed some dodgy grammar

I c what u did there.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »

So, if you looked up into the sky and saw a whale hurtling towards you, would you not run for your life? It would be easier to notice than something relatively the same size as you falling towards you. I can't tell if this theory is true, but I'm just using logic.

I've tried dropping them in a 3x3 pattern in groups of 5 over him so he can't dodge out of the way on time, and also dropping several waves of them at once. He still dodges all of them... it's quite amazing. I just tried it with cats too, and it didn't work. Dwarves just seem to be very good at getting out of the way of things being dropped on them I guess. :S

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:48:03 pm »

I've tried dropping them in a 3x3 pattern in groups of 5 over him so he can't dodge out of the way on time, and also dropping several waves of them at once. He still dodges all of them... it's quite amazing. I just tried it with cats too, and it didn't work. Dwarves just seem to be very good at getting out of the way of things being dropped on them I guess. :S
Are you sure this isn't some manifestation of the Shaft of Enlightenment exploit?  Check to see if that Dwarf has astronomically high Dodging skill.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:53:56 pm »

Are you sure this isn't some manifestation of the Shaft of Enlightenment exploit?  Check to see if that Dwarf has astronomically high Dodging skill.

According to the game, after all of this stuff I've dumped on him he's still a dabbling dodger, with all average attributes. Unless something is going on in the background that the game isn't taking into account.

EDIT: Rather, the game is taking note of whats going on in the background, but not updating on the frontend what has actually happened to his skills, that last line made no sense :S
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:55:49 pm by Neo_Spade »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:55:57 pm »

"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »

xD I may just have to sig that.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:04:02 pm »

Try punching it in the head it passes right through  :-* :-\ :P ??? 8)
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

I seem to be noticing a pattern: bigger things moving at high speeds seem easier to dodge than small things moving at high speeds... do heavy things in the Dwarf Fortress universe fall slower?

If he wants to be realistic, it could go either way here.

Two objects of the same shape, but different weights will fall the same speed.

However, two objects of different shapes, wind resistance could make the larger, heavier object fall slower, if it also had a bigger surface area, depending on the density of the medium it is falling through.

But then again, you're only noticing the reaction of an entity moving away from the falling object; so perhaps the larger object is just easier to see, and thus they move out of the way sooner.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:13:55 pm by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:24 pm »

I seem to be noticing a pattern: bigger things moving at high speeds seem easier to dodge than small things moving at high speeds... do heavy things in the Dwarf Fortress universe fall slower?

If he wants to be realistic, it could go either way here.

Two objects of the same shape, but different weights will fall the same speed.

However, two objects of different shapes, wind resistance could make the larger, heavier object fall slower, if it also had a bigger surface area, depending on the density of the medium it is falling through.

But then again, you're only noticing the reaction of an entity moving away from the falling object; so perhaps the larger object is just easier to see, and thus they move out of the way sooner.

Yeah, disregard what I said about the theory of larger things falling slower, the cats and whales both took an equal time to hit, and were equally easy to dodge. I just find it odd (and incredibly amusing) that dropping 45 Whales on a Dwarf at the same time only requires him to very easily move out of the way of the first one, even if said place he's moving to is where another Whale is landing.

I'm also basically taking over the Dwarf and making him do nothing (well sometimes I make him do "squats" or spit at the on coming Whales for fun), so he's reacting at the last possible moment.

Also I finally managed to get a Dwarf hit by the on coming Whales, he got attacked by one that landed, then got hit by 3 Sperm Whales at once... and survived with only severe bruising and a broken foot. Dwarves are durable little blighters!

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:15 pm »

You're forgetting the massive distance you would have to move away if we're talking about a giant sperm whale falling onto you from the skies.

oh_no

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:52:37 pm »

Only in DF.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6