Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: I can't kill a single Dwarf with 100 Whales  (Read 17307 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: I can't kill a single Dwarf with 100 Whales
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

Someone should drop pairs of creatures from great heights and see if they'll battle on the way down, Gandalf style.
Someone should also mod these creatures to have lighting fast attacks so they can do more strikes while on the way down. Movement speed also wouldn't hurt.
._.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the greatest monstrosity since the new trees!
SLADE WHALES!
These humongous creatures started their existence as mere sperm whales, but Armok had different plans. All their tissues' cells have been replaced with slade!

Here is what I would like to call a GIANT SLADE WHALE AIRDROP;

As you can see, the expected results were not obtained with a single whaledrop.
A 100x waledrop also had the same effect, only a single one hit at a time. The rest hit the others. Hehe...
Oh, and it seems that their undead versions are practically unkillable, the best attacks do is dent the slade or cut off non-vital limbs/bodyparts.

EDIT:
What have I done? Adamantine battleaxes only dent the slade. A platinum warhammer is more effective, but useless in the long run:
"You bash the Giant Slade Whale Corpse 27 in the head with your platinum war hammer, jamming the slade through the skull's bone, fracturing the skull's slade and chipping the brain's slade!"

Unfortunately, the game deletes the combat reports, but previously the automated combat led to the death of the GSW corpse. Blunt seems to have a possibility after a very, very long time of smashing, to land a killing blow. Edge on the other hand, is useless (well, without weight, I guess a platinum battleaxe might have enough weight to go through).

Dropping them on targets isn't all that reliable, but now that I changed their raws to have slade next to the standard tissue materials (and not replace them), they seem kill with a 75% chance. (No reports, unfortunately)
This is from +4 z levels. Still, I hope one day this makes it into one of my forts. I'm going to be embarking on terrifying areas next to the ocean now.

EDIT2: Ok, caught the report. The slade head got crushed. A platinum warhammer can, after a long while, pulp a slade monster's head. It might be because slade doesn't make up all  the tissue though. Oh, the giant ones have 2 ~ with guts spilled.

EDIT3: I'm... speechless. Without normal tissues, only slade, even after losing literally every bodypart except upper/lowerbody and head, with a push, the giant slade whale just killed my custom adventurer race. Slade just beat adamantine. (Though adamantine WAS using a platinum hammer)
The next adventurer-race (I called them adventurers), managed to kill it though. But still, giant slade whales are on the level of adamantine colossi. Ouch.

This... this creature is so magnificent... I need to add it to my raws right now! I've not laughed so hard in a long time... I may have woke up all my neighbors (it's very early in the morning, whoops!).
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

Politis

• Escaped Lunatic
  • mintpilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:31 pm »

On the normal sperm whales: Have you considered using trees?
Because I have...

It was a success. (after a second attempt, the first whale barely touched the dwarf, since I didn't completely surround him in trees and he evaded the whale)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:22:27 pm by Politis »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:05 am »

Sounds impressing :D
Do I see it right, that the Impact of the slade whale does no damage? If so, this is definietly a bug. A giant slade whale should throw you in the deepest hell, if it lands upon you. I wont imagine which weight this monstrosity has ...

Actually, the slade whales do damage, it just seems to be that they have a chance to hit limbs and not vital areas. However, when I set up 4 dwarves in seperate 1 tile rooms and dropped giant slade whales on them, they did get killed.
Still, they have a high chance to dodge if it's possible to move, so the slade whale artillery idea with minecarts might not be viable just yet.

Oh, on a semi-related note, I made "doom whales", which are variations on the base giant slade whale, with the ability to fly and they should be like undead versions that spawn in any ocean. My problem is that they still bleed and I have no idea how to stop that in a variation without altering the original, any thoughts?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 05:15:08 am »

On the normal sperm whales: Have you considered using trees?
Because I have...

It was a success. (after a second attempt, the first whale barely touched the dwarf, since I didn't completely surround him in trees and he evaded the whale)

Ah! A deadly double team! The tree and the whale working together, I like it! I'd like to note that the Dwarf was a  badass in that scenario. He saw the oncoming Whale and punched it while it came down on him like a tonne of cement.

Do I see it right, that the Impact of the slade whale does no damage? If so, this is definietly a bug. A giant slade whale should throw you in the deepest hell, if it lands upon you. I wont imagine which weight this monstrosity has ...

Actually, the slade whales do damage, it just seems to be that they have a chance to hit limbs and not vital areas. However, when I set up 4 dwarves in seperate 1 tile rooms and dropped giant slade whales on them, they did get killed.
Still, they have a high chance to dodge if it's possible to move, so the slade whale artillery idea with minecarts might not be viable just yet.

Oh, on a semi-related note, I made "doom whales", which are variations on the base giant slade whale, with the ability to fly and they should be like undead versions that spawn in any ocean. My problem is that they still bleed and I have no idea how to stop that in a variation without altering the original, any thoughts?

The Doom Whales sound awesome, also I'm amazed that a [DOES_NOT_BLEED] tag doesn't exist, that'd be handy. If it's still made of slade that's weird in of itself, I mean at that point you're literally getting blood out of a stone.

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 05:26:23 am »

I think you can simply delete the blood template and maybe can get infections, because a slade whale should be very uninfectionous :D

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 05:36:38 am »

I think you can simply delete the blood template and maybe can get infections, because a slade whale should be very uninfectionous :D

Ooh ooh! Or it could bleed molten liquid slade, that'd be fun.

I think the issue is that because it's inheritting all it's stats from the original template, then only way to get rid of the blood template would be to copy it line for line instead, then deleting the blood template. I think that'd work. Right? (Says the guy with very little modding experience, outside of modding Chthulu-like creatures as playable in like 40d).

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 05:46:38 am »

Oh yeah, molten slade! But maybe this will melt this monstrosity to death, if the molten blood melts the hard tissue :D

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 06:32:21 am »

Actually, molten slade blood sounds like a great thing to experiment with, as one of the creatures in the MH mod's next update SHOULD have lava as bood.
And yeah, the issue is that it's inheriting it, I was just seeing if anyone knew if anything but a syndrome could remove blood, but nevermind.

Also, I came across a bug when resizing the "doom whale" variation to be 10x giant slade whale size (I stuck with the normal giant size now). Occasionally, this makes the animal weightless and attacks just pass through, but I'm thinking this is an engine limitation. Other times, it just makes it extremely big. It can happen that from two of these oversized creatures, one works normally the other is a 'phantom version'. Ah well.

Okay, modifying the slade whales to have molten slade blood, testing the effects of it (would it instantly solidify when in contact with water? Instant armour?), then I'll update this post with the raws, then I'll go back to try to legitimately get a slab from a vault. Now, when was I planning to write that essay?

EDIT: This is getting fun. So far I've managed to get "smear of  " and "smear of doom whale n/a". The latter is purple/pink/magenta. I've also managed to mess up their blood, in which case they don't bleed, but are also incapable of attacking with ANY force (some message in combat about ",but it lacks force" or something). The last case I mentioned might actually be the case in which it works, but it has side effects of becoming solid within the veins?

EDIT2: Okay, I made them bleed magma. It seems to disappear after a short time, but I guess that's expected. No idea how anyone will actually get them to bleed, I had to use my adamantine race with a divine metal warhammer to get them to do that, and they still killed it a few seconds later. (2 doom whales fighting eachother, the adamantine adventurer charges at them, makes one bleed, then gets pulverised)

Raws, add them to the end of one of the creature_x.txt files or create a new creature text file.
Warning: While I accept all responsibility for unleashing these creatures, inviting them to your world is your own damn fault. Any deaths related to flying, natural legendary giant sperm whales made of slade are to be blamed on the genius who thought settling next to an ocean with these things around was a good idea.
Credits go to Saram-61-97-kon for the idea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I probably should have changed their colour, but this way there's an element of surprise. Also, if you see a flying 'W', you should know what your're dealing with. They aren't fast, at least.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:34:16 am by Wimopy »
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 10:07:30 am »

Someone should drop pairs of creatures from great heights and see if they'll battle on the way down, Gandalf style.

I tried this with bobcats and adders with no success. I was able to give an attack command, but hit the ground before the attack was executed. However, 2 bobcats on the ground were able to attack each other a total of 6 times in the time another bobcat fell from the top level to the bottom, so either attacks in the air are not possible, or their speed is heavily penalized.

Does anyone know which creature has the fastest attack?

EDIT: I tried again, but this time I let the game proceed for one tick before assuming control instead of controlling the creature immediately. And now, when I press Shift-a for attack, I immediately crash into the floor and don't even get the attack menu.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:32:59 am by JoeJoe »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 10:18:08 am »

I think it's a different case. If, for example, you start an attack and then jump away from a different one, your attack won't be carried out. I'm guessing falling means the same thing as jumping away, but constantly, so you won't be able to actually launch an attack. Well, except perhaps if you set the preparation time in the raws for the attack to 0, that might work.

I believe this changed with the new update, as Toady could make a dwarf jump out of a minecart to punch a goblin, meaning movement didn't annoy it one bit (unless it jumped out THEN punched...)
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 03:21:30 pm »

Poor whales what did they ever do to you.  :'(
If they wanted to be left alone, they should have spawned as pots of petunias.  On second thought, that probably wouldn't have worked either.

"Not again."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dyrxaend

• Bay Watcher
  • Crystal blades and Scaled plate, Razors of Dawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 01:06:05 am »

about the doom whales, I have an idea. What if you gave them a homeotherm hot enough to kill anything that gets too close to them?
Scales and fangs, Cydaela and blade, Crystal and fire! March, Kizaurun! March to glory and to vengeance! March for the Razors of Dawn!

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 06:20:19 am »

Actually, molten slade blood sounds like a great thing to experiment with, as one of the creatures in the MH mod's next update SHOULD have lava as bood.
And yeah, the issue is that it's inheriting it, I was just seeing if anyone knew if anything but a syndrome could remove blood, but nevermind.

Also, I came across a bug when resizing the "doom whale" variation to be 10x giant slade whale size (I stuck with the normal giant size now). Occasionally, this makes the animal weightless and attacks just pass through, but I'm thinking this is an engine limitation. Other times, it just makes it extremely big. It can happen that from two of these oversized creatures, one works normally the other is a 'phantom version'. Ah well.

Okay, modifying the slade whales to have molten slade blood, testing the effects of it (would it instantly solidify when in contact with water? Instant armour?), then I'll update this post with the raws, then I'll go back to try to legitimately get a slab from a vault. Now, when was I planning to write that essay?

EDIT: This is getting fun. So far I've managed to get "smear of  " and "smear of doom whale n/a". The latter is purple/pink/magenta. I've also managed to mess up their blood, in which case they don't bleed, but are also incapable of attacking with ANY force (some message in combat about ",but it lacks force" or something). The last case I mentioned might actually be the case in which it works, but it has side effects of becoming solid within the veins?

EDIT2: Okay, I made them bleed magma. It seems to disappear after a short time, but I guess that's expected. No idea how anyone will actually get them to bleed, I had to use my adamantine race with a divine metal warhammer to get them to do that, and they still killed it a few seconds later. (2 doom whales fighting eachother, the adamantine adventurer charges at them, makes one bleed, then gets pulverised)

Raws, add them to the end of one of the creature_x.txt files or create a new creature text file.
Warning: While I accept all responsibility for unleashing these creatures, inviting them to your world is your own damn fault. Any deaths related to flying, natural legendary giant sperm whales made of slade are to be blamed on the genius who thought settling next to an ocean with these things around was a good idea.
Credits go to Saram-61-97-kon for the idea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I probably should have changed their colour, but this way there's an element of surprise. Also, if you see a flying 'W', you should know what your're dealing with. They aren't fast, at least.

I'm not sure if I want these in my game xD. On the one hand they're very Dorfy, on the other hand I'm sure even Mega Beasts will struggle to fight these. Hmm, what is also interesting is that it has OPPOSED_TO_LIFE but is also a pet and doesn't have trapavoid. I wonder what !!FUN!! results will come from capturing one of these monsters beautiful creatures.

FAKE EDIT: Yeah, totally gonna add these now xD

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 06:31:28 am »

Erm, yeah. The doom whale is my attempt to recreate the giant slade whale zombie as a creature found anywhere in the ocean. In other words: fear the 'W'aves.

about the doom whales, I have an idea. What if you gave them a homeotherm hot enough to kill anything that gets too close to them?

I think homeotherm only affects the creature itself and maybe the tile it's on, so that's not going to do much. I could make it have a dust attack that acts like a flame wave, but it's already near unkillable. Besides, I think adding FIREIMMUNE_SUPER to it is silly. Slade should melt if dropped in lava. (Actually, I think only dragonfire can melt it anyways, so who cares)

On the note of dragonfire: While dragonfire temperatures can melt it in the arena, I've yet to be able to melt them with an army of dragons. They just kill them all before it becomes dangerous.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6