Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can your civ now domesticate new animals in DF2014?  (Read 1634 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Can your civ now domesticate new animals in DF2014?
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:59:34 pm »

Back in .34.xx when animal training received a overhaul I build up a fortress decicated to domesticating several animals (elk birds, peregrine falcons, large mole dogs are what I ended up with), but I was never successful in domesticating them for my civ, despite spending 80 years and raising several dozen generations of animals with hundreds of animals total.

Then some time later someone made a thread (which I can't find any more) about animal training in which he had the same problem with I think it was ravens. If I remember correctly someone else posted in there that Toady said it can't happen in this version (.34.xx) yet because players domesticating animals would require the world and civillisations to update after world creation was finished, which the version could not handle back then.

.40.xx now supports changes to the world and civillisations after generation, so does anyone know if that is possible now?
Has anybody tried yet and gotten useable results?
I have tried myself, but both forts I tried it in got corrupted before I could advance enough years to breed sufficient generations of animals (hyenas and cougars respectively) to reach expert familiarity, let alone domestication...
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can your civ now domesticate new animals in DF2014?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »

Taming animals always worked for me ???

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:44:39 pm »

He doesn't mean taming them, or even taming them to domesticated level.  When you get experience taming an animal, and the liason shows up and gets your new found knowledge and reports it back, you get a message about "your civ has attained general familiarity about taming hippopotamuses" or something to that effect, but no matter how much you try, you will never make hippopotamuses a domestic animal of your civ, that you can bring on embark or buy from traders.

He was asking if that has changed.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »

There is a difference between fortress level domestication and civ level domestication.

You can domesticate animals on the fortress level by breeding them for a few generations. I think the second generation can be trained to be domesticated, and the third will be born domesticated if the parent animals were. This has worked in the previous version.

You can also (or rather, you're supposed to be able to) domesticate animals for your civillisation. If you tame and breed, for example, alligators, you'll sometimes get the message "your civillisation has learned about alligator breeding" or something similar. Those are several tiers of knowledge about this animal, of which the last one is "domesticated [animal]". You could in .34.xx only reach the tier "experts about [animal]s", which is the second to highest tier.
Reaching the last tier was impossible because the game could not yet handle such a large change to civs after world gen was finished.

Now the game can handle such changes, but I have no idea if animal domestication is finally fully included.

edit:
ninja'd  :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:53:30 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?