Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-dwarven citizens?  (Read 2064 times)

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Non-dwarven citizens?
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:39 pm »

A simple question.

If I obtain a non-dwarf citizen, can I assign them labors/military/nobility/etc?

I've tried retiring an adventurer, but it turned out that my civ was hostile to the adventurer's civ.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Syn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Non-dwarven citizens?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:48 am »

If you can assign them to the "Special Operations" squad 

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:21:03 am »

I don't think you can make them citizens, strictly speaking. If a member of a friendly civ is on your map without any preexising purpose (like diplomats and merchants), they'll show up as Friendly and just sort of mill about doing nothing. Aesthetically valuable, for a would-be-cosmopolitan fortress, but they tend to get mowed down when the next siege arrives, since you can't force them indoors.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:17 am »

You can't do much of anything with them without DF Hack I think. But, they make pretty good nobility. And, if you have one with a nice history it's pretty cool. A good example would be
The Story of http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade

Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:18:26 am »

I retired a fort to play adventure mode for a bit, then when I was done Legend mode told me a Human had become a citizen of my old fort. Unretired the fort, no sign of the human anywhere.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:50 am »

If it is working then its not perfect yet.
Retired an elf andventurer in a fort for the fun of it. I was friendly with them during adventure,
but after i reclaimed the Fort the elf in question was still there but marked hostile and 'overcome by terror'.
so... there's that.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:54:14 am »

...after i reclaimed the Fort the elf in question was still there ... and 'overcome by terror'.

That's probably the appropriate reaction for an elf who's just spent two weeks in the average dwarven fort.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:19:20 am »

...after i reclaimed the Fort the elf in question was still there ... and 'overcome by terror'.

That's probably the appropriate reaction for an elf who's just spent two weeks in the average dwarven fort.

That's probably the appropriate reaction for a dwarven fort that's just spent two weeks dealing with an elf idling around for no reason.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.