Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 week advancment after choosing embark  (Read 1604 times)

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
2 week advancment after choosing embark
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:14:12 am »

i think it would be nice if in fort mode the 2 week advancement happened after you set out that way you wont know exactly whats going on when you arrive and on that note it might be a good idea to have the time be based on distance from the mountainhome to represent the time taken during the journey to the embark site
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: 2 week advancment after choosing embark
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:32:25 am »

After a journey of almost 3 weeks, the new overseer has arrived in "AssuredDestruction", the Dwarven fortress built on a Terrifying Glacier, only to find that the initial band of 7 is busy eating the last one among them that is actually alive.

Some embarks your dwarves just can't seem to manage 5 seconds by themselves without dying.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:12:57 am »

it just occurred to me this could work in adventure mode also its implied it took you a long time to get your equipment together

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:14:25 am »

thinking about it i would think that the speed of travel would be based on the speed that wagons move at also it might be interesting if there is friendly settlements in the path of the embark group if they can gather info from them during there journey

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:10:17 pm »

Meh.

Elaboration is key on something like this.

If you're talking about your supplies being used and such on a trip, my headcanon is that it's always what's left over from the trip and not what they initially brought.

If you're talking about things happening on the way, like in the post above this one, then I dunno. DF 2014 takes a lot of time to load as is, I don't think running checks for friendly settlements and finding a path to it(What if you chose an island in the middle of nowhere ocean?) would make it any shorter :P

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »

Meh.

If you're talking about your supplies being used and such on a trip, my headcanon is that it's always what's left over from the trip and not what they initially brought.

If you're talking about things happening on the way, like in the post above this one, then I dunno. DF 2014 takes a lot of time to load as is, I don't think running checks for friendly settlements and finding a path to it(What if you chose an island in the middle of nowhere ocean?) would make it any shorter :P
indeed it would be quite slow

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:18:48 am »

Meh.

Lies. It is a known fact that dwarven wagons are equipped with warp drives and teleportation.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:27:33 am »

Meh.

Lies. It is a known fact that dwarven wagons are equipped with warp drives and teleportation.
except it is explicitly stated that the journey from the mountianhome is a long one.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 02:20:25 am »

Personally, I'd love an adventure mode journey with six other caravan companions that has a two week time limit.  The Player would start in a populated area of your civ and have two weeks to get to your embark.  Each day, the caravan stops and a scene of you and your six companions, the wagon/s, wagon-beasts and so on, all next to a camp fire shows while they sleep.  Adventure-mode interactions would still happen and the caravan members might have to fight off beasts, bandit ambushes and the like, possibly losing individuals on the journey. (An option of loading their corpses onto the wagon or burying them under a stone cairn using a "3 - hour wait" before continuing on would be nice too.)

Where-ever the group ends up after two weeks becomes the center of the embark (which does away with the 16x16 embark screen restriction).  Possibly have the "x" menu for the expedition leader also include a "we've arrived! We embark here." option which ends the two-week timer early, "retires" the expedition leader and his/her companions at the new embark and begins the fortress aspect of the game.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »

Personally, I'd love an adventure mode journey with six other caravan companions that has a two week time limit.  The Player would start in a populated area of your civ and have two weeks to get to your embark.  Each day, the caravan stops and a scene of you and your six companions, the wagon/s, wagon-beasts and so on, all next to a camp fire shows while they sleep.  Adventure-mode interactions would still happen and the caravan members might have to fight off beasts, bandit ambushes and the like, possibly losing individuals on the journey. (An option of loading their corpses onto the wagon or burying them under a stone cairn using a "3 - hour wait" before continuing on would be nice too.)

Where-ever the group ends up after two weeks becomes the center of the embark (which does away with the 16x16 embark screen restriction).  Possibly have the "x" menu for the expedition leader also include a "we've arrived! We embark here." option which ends the two-week timer early, "retires" the expedition leader and his/her companions at the new embark and begins the fortress aspect of the game.
Why limit it to two weeks? Go as long as you can keep your dwarves alive.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:30 pm »

Personally, I'd love an adventure mode journey with six other caravan companions that has a two week time limit.  The Player would start in a populated area of your civ and have two weeks to get to your embark.  Each day, the caravan stops and a scene of you and your six companions, the wagon/s, wagon-beasts and so on, all next to a camp fire shows while they sleep.  Adventure-mode interactions would still happen and the caravan members might have to fight off beasts, bandit ambushes and the like, possibly losing individuals on the journey. (An option of loading their corpses onto the wagon or burying them under a stone cairn using a "3 - hour wait" before continuing on would be nice too.).

"Urist McCompanion has died of dysentery."
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 08:57:53 pm »

Personally, I'd love an adventure mode journey with six other caravan companions that has a two week time limit.  The Player would start in a populated area of your civ and have two weeks to get to your embark.  Each day, the caravan stops and a scene of you and your six companions, the wagon/s, wagon-beasts and so on, all next to a camp fire shows while they sleep.  Adventure-mode interactions would still happen and the caravan members might have to fight off beasts, bandit ambushes and the like, possibly losing individuals on the journey. (An option of loading their corpses onto the wagon or burying them under a stone cairn using a "3 - hour wait" before continuing on would be nice too.).

"River Crossing"
> Hire an Elven guide.
"Yak (tame) has been encased in ice." x2
"Urist McMason has been encased in ice."
"Urist McFarmer has been encased in ice."
"Urist McCarpenter has been encased in ice."
"Urist McBrewer has been encased in ice."
"Urist McMiner has been encased in ice."
"Urist McBookkeeper has been encased in ice."
GAME OVER
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 08:59:19 pm »

you know ive never actually played the oregon trail

(i wish that the azeroth trail had not being an april fools joke

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 11:26:09 pm »

my headcanon is that it's always what's left over from the trip and not what they initially brought.
That's not headcanon, that's just regular canon. It says this in the little blurb that comes up when you arrive.
"There are almost no supplies left..."
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.