Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your problem animal  (Read 6413 times)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your problem animal
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »

We've all got one. Adventure mode of Fortress mode, that one animal is always giving you problems. Unnatural or rare creatures like megabeasts and bogeymen don't count, it's their job to make life harder for you and having one type that's better at it than the rest isn't anything special. We're talking about a normal animal that always comes along to try and ruin your day no matter what mode you're playing.

For me, it's alligators. They're not the most dangerous animal out there, but they're not exactly pushovers either. Biting attacks bypassed armor up until this latest release, and 'gators are damn good at biting. Even now that they can't bite your head off through a helmet, they're a menace to individuals who don't have armor, such as fisherdwarves and newer adventurers. They're prevalent too, You can run into them at just about any river deep enough one has to swim through. The fact that they can lay up to thirty eggs at a time doesn't hurt them either.
I've never had too much trouble from them, but then again I've never not had trouble with them either. Every time I run into alligators, in a fortress or out adventuring, they try and cause me problems.

So how about you?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
Re: Your problem animal
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:21:16 pm »

Cats ... it is inevitable  :D
But also aquatic cave creatures, which block the caverns for other animals.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:48 pm »

Boars. I hate boars so very very much. I don't think I've ever had a fort in an area where boars could spawn where they didn't kill at least three dwarves who were on the surface for whatever reason. I've gotten to the point that I sic my military on boars whenever they enter the map, and I have all of my well-trained hunters immediately go do something else when they come so they don't get gored.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »

Currently anything that flies, damn bastards get stuck.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

Any time I breach caverns too early, I always get the GCS and Blind Cave Ogre parade.  Never when I'm fully prepared for them.  It was inevitable.

Dyrxaend

• Bay Watcher
  • Crystal blades and Scaled plate, Razors of Dawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:33:09 am »

Kea's. They have this habit of stealing my forges, pickaxes, and axes before I am able to do anything, and then all my dwarves just sit there looking retarded and I have to retry all over again.

Fortunately, my adventurers (who always worship the god of revenge) are able to take bloody vengeance on these blasted creatures.
Scales and fangs, Cydaela and blade, Crystal and fire! March, Kizaurun! March to glory and to vengeance! March for the Razors of Dawn!

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:01:06 am »

Not animals, but animal people for me.

Stupid gits are everywhere in savage biomes, being useles and blocking actual animals from entering the map.
Stop spawning you stupid ugly slugmen, I want giant felines or any bears or some predatory birds (well, in the versions where they don't get stuck midair), and I am tired of slaughtering you by the dozens just to get a single animal to spawn. (and after that single animal there will be another 7 or 8 waves of slug and snailmen)

I hate them so much.

Adventure mode it is... horses.
It does not matter if I have depopulated entire cities, killed forgotten beasts and dragons or beaten up demons with the pants of his favorite follower. Some fapping stupid horse will get a lucky shot in and brain me if I even get anywhere into the same general vicinity.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?