Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Behavior and Personality Science Thread  (Read 1037 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Behavior and Personality Science Thread
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »

So I've been doing some experiments with editing the personality values of various creatures, civilized and wild.  Turns out the personalities have much more influence on creature behavior than in previous versions (which should come as no surprise).  I still haven't worked out all the details, but I'll post them here as I find them.

One useful thing I can establish is that BRAVERY affects whether creatures will attack or run away once they are in combat (no, really?).  If the new 40.1 creatures seem too cowardly, just give them a high courage level.  This applies to both civilized creatures and animals.  Tiny animals with a LARGE_PREDATOR tag and high BRAVERY will attack even large adventurers.  (It does not seem to fix the cowardly megabeast problem, which I presume is a bug).

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Behavior and Personality Science Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:48:18 pm »

Ah, this is great. Makes more sense to use this for my beasties, than to give them all [NOFEAR]. I'll be watching this thread, as it would be really nice to get rid of some monsters just standing around. Chances are it's a bug, but if it's not, I'd love to know.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:33 pm »

My human outsider, who has not killed anything or been in a fight, saw a corpse on the ground of someone in the village who was just killed by goblins. This caused two things:
1. I could now spread news of the person's death (I even somehow knew their name, everyone must have name tags or something)
2. Tears appeared in my adventurer's eyes (suggesting an emotional reaction). The tears were not there prior to this moment.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:39:01 pm »

Well it's good to know that the whole "Nobody does anything" issue can be resolved. Now if only we could get the issue of creatures who should have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE being friendly resolved. It's a shame the AI is so broken, I can't even test the mod I'm working on properly because of it.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0