Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Tweaks 'n' Such [v40.05] v1.5 Fear the Badger  (Read 24065 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

As all the prepare:recover numbers were 3:3 to begin I've used that as base speed, and considering short swords are about as universal a weapon you can get, I based speeds around that. I believe great axes are the slowest weapon now, followed by mauls and pikes.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

why are whips suddenly doing the exact opposite of what whips originally do

they're no longer blunt and scourges are better and faster than them (oh and if we're talking about quick stabby action then spears are much better than them at it)

also you may have missed the fact that i made mauls actually useful specifically by making their contact area rather low
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:2000:10000:whirl around with outstretched arms and bash:whirls around with outstretched arms and bashes:massive head:3500]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:6:8] 1.4 seconds
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:40:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:3000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:4] 0.7 seconds
you made them both barely stronger (in terms of force) than one-handed hammers while much slower than said hammers
that's not good you know
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:33:03 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaks 'n' Such [v40.02]
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 03:34:08 pm »

- Added NATURAL_SKILL_DISCIPLINE to *all* animals with the following tags: TRAINABLE, LARGE_PREDATOR, LIKES_FIGHTING, CARNIVORE and EVIL, also all badgers.
Okay, narrowly averted spraying coffee all over my keyboard.

(But what of the carp?)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HONEY BADGER DON'T GIVE A DAMN
HONEY BADGER DON'T GIVE A FUCK

HONEY BADGER EAT YOUR FACE

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Whoops, I left maul with numbers I didn't mean to.. somehow. Thought I tidied it up before finishing. Fixing now. Blunt is my weakness as well, honestly. Tweaked blunt weapons in general, increased contact area of whips. I think they *should* be edged weapons, just very difficult for them to penetrate skin in a lethal fashion. I also forgot that scourges should be faster than them. So whips are now faster and should act more blunt, and maces/mauls/warhammers/morningstars should have a reasonable amount of balance. Flails are kinda a tossup, they seem OP but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:49:41 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem with blunt weapons is that if their contact area is very low then they completely ignore armor - but if it's too high then they can't do anything against armored targets.

and since weapons are fun when they're lethal, then having all blunt attacks have a relatively small contact area results in the most !!FUN!!

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Should be a bit better, let me know if they're not up to par. Will do testing later to be sure of lack of balance and needed changes.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

I've fucked around with the weapons and here's the result. (fyi this is meant to replace the vanilla item_weapon.txt)

Weapons are quite lethal now, although most are somewhat slow.
oh and flails/shortswords/large daggers can be multi-attacked with without penalties

(shoutouts to xangi from whom i stole some formatting ideas)
I might just mod your mod of my mod for the final weapon rebalance for my mod. Though that's still a while off, I need the adventure mode AI to be fixed for proper testing.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

jesus christ who absolutely boned the sword/axe diversity i made

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Hmm how so? I kept your axe numbers for the most part. Changed the previous sword stuff around a bit, made knifes less into lightsabers and more stabby. Some of the old penetrations and such are wonky for direct porting, but I've spent some time in the arena making all blunt weapons sufficiently lethal in realistic situations. Probably needs more work. As of this point silver flails and mauls will eventually pulp anything aside from colossi. Whips aren't deadly.. unless you have no armor or have some exposed spots, then they'll split you like a banana. The descriptions are a bit gruesome.

Here's the most recent iteration of the weapon file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying to lethalize combat a bit since in the words of a poster 'combat is more slapstick than ever' what with the months of rolling around it consists of. It's actually a bit daunting with so many attacks.

Swords definitely feel too strong, though. Nerfed the scimitar and the long sword a bit on top of the changes, buffed axes in general.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:58:48 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The reason swords are too strong is because the axes you (mostly) copied from me were supposed to have higher force multipliers than swords.
except swords have that value far higher than axes currently do

I've made some changes here (like readding the little gimmick i gave flails hehe) that you might wanna review, but make sure to ignore the axe values since those are both incomplete and the force multiplier cranked way too far up to match the swords.

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I basically totally ripped your blunt weapons and the spear. They looked good to me c:  Incorporated some of what you're saying, decreased force on swords and made them different since they overall felt way too strong still. Were very samey before as well. If you've got more suggestions yell at me, I haven't done weapons in forever so I know I'm not the best.

Updated again. Sorry for the flurry of updates to anyone who may be bothered by them, this should be the stable version for a couple days as I work on stuff.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:24:54 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well since I'm already ripping Xangi off you might as well include the snazzy little tissue changes he did.
The changes are the classic "make nails/claws heal" but also changing the pain values of bones (knocking it the fuck down from 50 to 17) and internal organs (increasing them).

Because getting any kind of bone damage results in an instant (and fatal) loss of consciousness with the vanilla values, and that's just plain lame.
(not to mention that it's also outright bizarre that getting your internal organs obliterated barely hurts compared to getting a chipped bone)

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Yeah, I definitely agree with that change. Incorporated c:

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Since I'm restarting for the new stability changes I'll be using these weapon changes and the disapline tweaks.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5