Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If the mechanics behind this RtD were simpler, would you join? (Only vote if you have not signed up)

Yes
- 7 (70%)
No
- 3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: Exiles of the Void -- Roll 27  (Read 39329 times)

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiles of the Void -- Roll 26
« Reply #435 on: August 29, 2014, 06:59:58 pm »

((If am not wearing rad protection then i demand that that roll is a 5 with danger close))

See if it is possible to get sample of the inner layer if not try make the hole bigger.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2014, 07:09:20 pm »

-"I'll go with you. You'll need someone who knows how to fight, just in case."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:40 pm »

((If am not wearing rad protection then i demand that that roll is a 5 with danger close))

((It would be a 3+2/8*6 ~= 4 if you were in danger. Let's assume your character is sane and kept the sample in a box.))

See if it is possible to get sample of the inner layer if not try make the hole bigger.

[5] Rise, and repeat. Controlling the rover carefully with the joystick in the control room, you dig out another chunk of the inner layer. In fact, it's layers and layers all the way down. The rover will run out of power before it gets all the way through. You discover at least 8 layers before bringing back the samples and finding that each layer is made of the same material.

New Miniquest: Destructive Learning (Deal damage through science: 1/3)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 30, 2014, 02:34:07 pm »

-"If you determine the type of radiation you can better understand the risks. If it's a alpha emitter you need not worry, low energy beta can be handled by glass."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 30, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »

-"I didnt hope to find much anyway. Let go back to bed till we arrive at gaia"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 30, 2014, 07:24:40 pm »

-"If you determine the type of radiation you can better understand the risks. If it's a alpha emitter you need not worry, low energy beta can be handled by glass."

((Just a note: Your ship doesn't have any windows.))

-"I didnt hope to find much anyway. Let go back to bed till we arrive at gaia"

Firing off the engines and heading to Gaia would get you there, yes, but your ship's drive engine flare would be visible from across the system. Fortunately, you realize, your ship was behind the planet when you made some burns over Artosis, meaning that the inhabitants of Gaia would not be able to see the flare. You can wait for another opportunity and do the same thing to stay hidden when you make the burn to reach Gaia. You will not be able to mask your insertion into Gaia's orbit, however. You can either announce your presence now or do it at the last moment.

One last option, to stay hidden, would be to simply travel to Aphrodite. Then, you would be able to refuel and travel to Gaia when needed, at the same time getting a closer look at the locals. You can make your burn to insert into Aphrodite orbit when your ship would be eclipsed by the planet.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 30, 2014, 09:13:40 pm »

((Just a note: Your ship doesn't have any windows.))

((I was thinking even safety for the sample we have.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:49 pm »

No point hiding, just fire the engine and send. Out distress signal

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiles of the Void -- Roll 25
« Reply #443 on: August 31, 2014, 01:42:03 pm »

Roll 27 - Excelsior!
Months Elapsed: 28

No point hiding, just fire the engine and send. Out distress signal

You plot a course and set the ship to wake you if there's any response. Then, you and the rest of the crew go to sleep for a long while as the ship approaches the blue-green bead on the nav screen.

During your approach, your presence was mostly unheeded, at least directly. Radio chatter increased significantly, but no actual attempts at communication were received from the world. Accounting for light-lag, the amount of communications spiked a couple of local days--equal to 23 hours each--after your engine flare was rendered visible. Your 'distress signal,' which amounted to little more than words pleading for help in a barely encoded English transmission, did not elicit a response in kind.

As you approach the world, you acquire a visual. City lights dot the dark side of the world, although only sparsely outside of supposed major urban centers. Heat signatures over the oceans indicate that airline traffic is present, although sparse. The planet's gravity well is small enough that your tiny shuttle can actually take off from its surface.

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Your shuttle can use the atmosphere to glide down, effectively negating the deltaV cost of landing. This means that as long as you refuel again (using Hydrogen/Oxygen mixture), at the Anaxagoras you can make repeated trips to the surface.

Before you get going, you take note of the fact that there are satellites in orbit. Not many, your ship's computer counts about 300. Next, you survey a landing zone. Your shuttle is going to want to land on some plains, preferably. The planet's surface is rough and mountainous, making suitable landing spots rare, but your computer manages to optimize a path for the shuttle such that you will touchdown on an open stretch of plain near the equatorial coast. How will you prepare?

Characters

Spoiler: Varee, AKA Vex (click to show/hide)

Bridge Modules Installed:
-Dashboard
-Systems Panel
-Navigation Board
-Sensor Control
-Damage Report

Spoiler: Ship Dashboard (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Systems Panel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Navigation Table (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sensor Control (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damage Report (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:56:46 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiles of the Void -- Roll 27
« Reply #444 on: August 31, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »

-"Well well we arrive. Whoever think they wanna be xeno diplomat are free to try talk to this guys. I will go patrol the ship for any more"damage""

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiles of the Void -- Roll 27
« Reply #445 on: September 07, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »

((Time to update this.))

As you awaken close to re-insertion, the technically-inclined members of the crew begin to peruse the logs regarding planetary data and information received over the course of the trip.

• One of the more peculiar things regarding the planet is its magnetic field. It is immensely powerful, ranging several times greater in strength than that of the model habitable planet, the legendary Earth, long abandoned by your sector's progenitors in the name of progress and extreme long-term investment. The magnetic field is perhaps necessary, considering the solar winds of the system's raging blue sun, eager to blow away any the atmosphere of any planetoid in its wake. A major side-effect is that the magnetosphere produces considerable amounts of radiation. This will make long-term spacewalks even more dangerous, and may require additional shielding on manned craft meant to stay in orbit for longer than a few days.
  • Now that you are capable of getting a better view of the planet's skyline, it looks absolutely gorgeous and relatively untouched. At first, you figure that the inhabitants are an enlightened type, keeping their industry in space and preserving the planet's ecosystem that way, but after scanning through possible orbits you find that there is no spaceport, nor is there even any space traffic in the area.
  • Your computer managed to crack some of the encryptions, revealing text-based transmissions in some sort of foreign language with a completely unknown alphabet and numerals. No audio or visual decoding, yet.
  • On the night side of the planet, you can clearly see lights emanating from major population centers, mostly located near rivers and coastline. They are relatively sparse, and you only count twelve major sites along with a bunch of dim minors scattered around.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]