Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (DF_80_03) Dwarves creating Totalitarian Society, pls help!  (Read 7795 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Playing the unreleased 80.03, and on every embark I end up with the regular 7 dwarves and all, but then there's 20 other dwarves there that I can't control.  Seven of them just walk around with notepads, writing down everything my normal dwarves do, including their conversations and off-duty activities, interests, political views etc.  What is that all about?

Also, while trying to level the top of the embarks volcano, my dwarfs, using the old fear mechanic put in in 40.01, came screaming in terror to my fortresses mayor, babbling something about drone flyovers and constitutional rights.  Suited dwarfs quickly caged them and sold them to the next trade caravan.  I didn't even know the AI could do that...

On the subject of the mayor, his mandates have become quite disturbing.  How do I make citizen registration chips?  In the magma smelter maybe? 
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (DF_80_03) Dwarves creating Totalitarian Society, pls help!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:56 pm »

Please have some respect for that time-stream-continuum thingamajig thing, I think if you post in the past too often then you can cause the universe to collapse or something.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »

Someone needs to remember to tell Toady that using quantum mechanics in the game code is a bad idea...
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:50:01 pm »

I think the scariest part about this is I believed it until I reread the OP and saw 80.03
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:28:47 am »

How long until 80.03?

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:30 am »

How long until 80.03?

Twenty years? Fifteen?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:36 am »

How long until 80.03?

Twenty years? Fifteen?
No, eejyut, I was asking the time-traveling OP.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:19:25 am »

Quote from: Alev

Can we pls not discuss time travel, I'm pretty sure the suited dwarves are keeping tabs on my internet correspondence now.  Also I can't close the game anymore, or pause it for that matter, which is like, weird.  Anyways, if the dwarves get a hold of the ability to time travel...well, ya, that might be bad.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 01:22:37 am »

Can we pls not discuss time travel, I'm pretty sure the suited dwarves are keeping tabs on my internet correspondence now.  Also I can't close the game anymore, or pause it for that matter, which is like, weird.  Anyways, if the dwarves get a hold of the ability to time travel...well, ya, that might be bad.
Please don't tell me that dwarves have invented computers and programmed DF inside of DF.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 01:31:28 am »

I wouldn't worry about the fuss of time travel, the parallel "earths" theory should be proven around here in thirty years or so.  You know the one that has each decision cause a branching reality and any time travel merely instigates yet another branch?  Yeah, that one. 

Please don't tell me that dwarves have invented computers and programmed DF inside of DF.

Well given that we started building computers inside of DF years ago, it's really only been a matter of time until the dwarves figured out how to utilize them for their own purposes. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 01:55:42 am »

Yeah? I played v 6.0. It replaces dwarves with space penguins, and the goblins are all played by Scarlett Johanssen. The game revolves around quicktime events, and teaches you about the modern plights of female potato farmers in Turkmenistan.

Why you kids feed troll?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:59 am »

Why you kids feed troll?

We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:46 am »

I wouldn't worry about the fuss of time travel, the parallel "earths" theory should be proven around here in thirty years or so.  You know the one that has each decision cause a branching reality and any time travel merely instigates yet another branch?  Yeah, that one. 

Well given that we started building computers inside of DF years ago, it's really only been a matter of time until the dwarves figured out how to utilize them for their own purposes.

Ah, I remember the Dwarven Computer. Fuck.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:48:24 am »

Skynet has nothing on DF 40.01. Frankly, I'd be less horrified at living with John Connor than anyone named Urist.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 11:53:31 am »

Why you kids feed troll?
sigged XD
Why you kids feed troll?
Pages: [1] 2