Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 51488 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
2014: Equal rights
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but the new version seems to include gay marriage. My fort is less than a year old, so I'm not sure if it's a world gen only thing or not, but it's still pretty cool.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8924

Relevant dwarves are Sakzul Logemvod and Asmel Rithmogshum.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:56 pm »

I'd like my really awesome dwarves to be able to have descendants, other than that I don't have a problem with this.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:49 pm »

I think it'd be pretty cool if gay marriage was a thing, sounds like a feature, not a bug.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:22:57 pm »

No idea if this is a bug, but you should post it to Mantis so we can get an official answer, and it can be fixed if it isn't intended.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:25:05 pm »

No idea if this is a bug, but you should post it to Mantis so we can get an official answer, and it can be fixed if it isn't intended.

Now that it's in, bug or not, Toady would kind of look like an arse if he took it out, calling it a bug, wouldn't he?

Frankly, at this point I would just call it a "happy little unintended feature."  Say that in a Bob Ross voice in your head, you'll see where I'm coming from.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 11:27:16 pm »

Oh god not this again

Looking back at the old suggestion threads on homosexuality, this thread/"issue" is sure to go very well 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:31:05 pm »

Now that it's in, bug or not, Toady would kind of look like an arse if he took it out, calling it a bug, wouldn't he?

Frankly, at this point I would just call it a "happy little unintended feature."  Say that in a Bob Ross voice in your head, you'll see where I'm coming from.

If a gay couple in worldgen had a child, that would make it a bug, and unless this is intentional, it's entirely possible that weird behaviors along those lines would occur.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »

And if not; those honeymoon suite plans might have interesting unintended consequences...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:58:53 pm »

Just loaded up the save; yeah man that's pretty cool. On a side note, I always love seeing how other people construct their fortresses.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 12:21:02 am »

Given how hard and slow breeding dwarves is already, it's hardly 'happy'
 On worlds with no surviving dwarf civilisations, so no migrants, but lots of lovely reclaimable fortresses, it'd pretty much mean no game if you dwarfs didn't couple up in breeding pairs. You need alot of luck to get couples as it is without adding in the chance they'd couple the wrong way.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:31:44 am »

They breed via spores anyway.  :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 12:36:19 am »

On worlds with no surviving dwarf civilisations, so no migrants, but lots of lovely reclaimable fortresses, it'd pretty much mean no game if you dwarfs didn't couple up in breeding pairs. You need alot of luck to get couples as it is without adding in the chance they'd couple the wrong way.
It also doesn't make a vast amount of sense for dwarf culture - which so far has been established as fairly conservative.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:37 am »

Eh, we have elves and goblins to hate. We don't need homophobia.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 12:42:07 am »

It also doesn't make a vast amount of sense for dwarf culture - which so far has been established as fairly conservative.

Is it really though? As far as I can tell there's already pretty much perfect gender equality. All jobs are doable by both sexes with no difference inherently in quality (of course), and as far as I can tell there aren't even masculine and feminine distinctions in names. I mean, this isn't directly related to same sex marriage in dwarf culture but it's just an example of an area where there isn't any discrimination or social rules like that.

(Really hoping this thread doesn't get super political, I'm just talking about the game)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:55 am »

Is it really though? As far as I can tell there's already pretty much perfect gender equality. All jobs are doable by both sexes with no difference inherently in quality (of course), and as far as I can tell there aren't even masculine and feminine distinctions in names. I mean, this isn't directly related to same sex marriage in dwarf culture but it's just an example of an area where there isn't any discrimination or social rules like that.

(Really hoping this thread doesn't get super political, I'm just talking about the game)

I've always thought, that had to do with the dwarves' fairly long lifespan. The [MAXAGE:150:170], coupled with child mortality apparently not being a thing (yet), takes off a massive burden on dwarven women. 

Something similar happens with Almea's Elcari. Though they do have gender roles, both genders are considered about equally (the roles themselves are only based on practical concerns), and as a further note, don't even bother blinking at gay dwarves as long as they're loyal to the community.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:49:03 am by samanato »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21