Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40.02 -> Reclaimed a ruin  (Read 2797 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40.02 -> Reclaimed a ruin
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:18:27 am »

126 forges, two dozen statues, a dozen doors, and nothing else.

Yes, 126 forges. All of them using iron chairs as anvils.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40.02 -> Reclaimed a ruin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:37 am »

Dwarven industry at its height.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:23:11 am »

Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it...

All those iron picks, axes, and the like you order from the caravan early on?

Exactly what process was used to shape and forge the metal, if it involves a hot iron chair?

(I imagine axe blades crafted by repeatedly sitting on a steel ingot, shaped into a beautiful double broad blade, that just so happens to be the exact shape of some master smith's butt. BUNS OF STEEL!)

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:57:23 am »

Maybe they're just old anvils that were left with the heat on them, and so without maintenance melted away and are now only usable as chairs

Also, would it be possible via modding to allow ruined Human or Goblin sites to be reclaimable?

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:32:54 am »

Maybe they're just old anvils that were left with the heat on them, and so without maintenance melted away and are now only usable as chairs

Also, would it be possible via modding to allow ruined Human or Goblin sites to be reclaimable?

I found a forge constructed from an iron throne and a boulder of bituminous coal. World gen dwarves: you're doing it wrong.

Maybe it's just random, but my current world almost looks like it had an economy. One ruin contained hundreds of (similarly questionable) forges. Another ruin, connected to the first by both a road and a tunnel? Dozens of magma smelters above the magma sea.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 07:16:59 am »

About these magma smelters: is it normal that the room they're in fills with magma from below as soon as I reclaim the fortress?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 07:23:52 am »

Sounds like a bug with the pressure not being taken into consideration when the magma forges are placed.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 07:28:55 am »

I though there was no natural magma pressure?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:30:12 am »

I'm not even sure anymore, it's been a long time since I've dealt with magma. Just I know there are a lot of weird things that happen in world gen that only get resolved once you unpause.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:08:35 am »

About these magma smelters: is it normal that the room they're in fills with magma from below as soon as I reclaim the fortress?

Based on the way most players build, that sounds completely normal.

Gotta have some safeguards against elves finding out the secret of steel, after all.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »

Magma still has no pressure, I haven't seen these flooded forges though. So no idea what causes them.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »

I don't know about pressure, but the magma sea refills.  I once diverted an underground lake onto the sea for a larf.  After digging out the resulting obsidian, I channeled out some holes to place forges and magma seeped out the holes and ruined my day.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:59 am »

Don't know about normal or not, but that didn't happen in the one fort I've seen them in so far.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 04:40:08 pm »

Magma still has no pressure, I haven't seen these flooded forges though. So no idea what causes them.

I saw it once, it was because the central shaft happened to go right into a magma tube (in the third cavern I believe).   There was a gap part of the way up in the stairwell that the magma in the tube poured into.