Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 51376 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:53 pm »

That seems likely. Though why you'd want to genocide anything (Other than maybe Kobolds) is beyond me. That just takes more features away from the game.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2014, 11:31:17 pm »

If the ORIENTATION tag does what I think it does, it might not need to be an init option at all as it would already be a raw option. I'm testing it right now by attempting to make elves gay.
Does this mean we could alter it to such a degree that every elf dies in world gen from fucking each other fruitlessly? Because I don't think we've had death-by-sex as a method for killing elves here, even in Dwarf Fortress.
Elves are immortal, so making their population 100% homosexual would only serve to halt population growth until the other civs and horrors get to them and slowly kill off their kind. I'm kind of curious about how a race with a completely gay population would be handled at worldgen; where did the first elves come from?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2014, 11:32:27 pm »

Does this mean we could alter it to such a degree that every elf dies in world gen from fucking each other fruitlessly? Because I don't think we've had death-by-sex as a method for killing elves here, even in Dwarf Fortress.

Elves are immortal, though. :^)

(well, except when they're suicide-bombing themselves for the trees)

I'm kind of curious about how a race with a completely gay population would be handled at worldgen; where did the first elves come from?

Presumably would they be handled in a similar manner to one-gender races.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2014, 11:34:52 pm »

Might as well ask where the first Anvil came from, while you're at it.  :P

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2014, 11:35:25 pm »

Plenty of ways for elves to die without it being old age.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2014, 11:35:51 pm »

Where does one find the night-troll raw file? Ctrl-F does nothing for me lol.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2014, 11:36:54 pm »

Where does one find the night-troll raw file? Ctrl-F does nothing for me lol.

They're stored in the world.dat file in the save folder.  You can only read them if you have uncompressed saves though.

There's also a string dump of the executable itself.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2014, 11:37:10 pm »

It's in the compressed save stuff. Not sure exactly. Anyway, Toady confirmed how the orientation tag works in FOTF:

It's a by-caste tag, so you'd use it twice for each caste if you want to set all the numbers.  <male/female>:<disinterested chance>:<lover-possible chance>:<commitment-possible chance>  It uses the chances to put an individual critter into any of the 9 possible configurations.  Defaults are, if I remember, 75:25:5 for the same gender, and 5:25:75 for the opposite.  That leads to a 3x3 grid, with numbers in it.  I'm not invested in the current ones if there are better ideas, but it's probably not all that easy to make a good selection when the categorization is ad hoc anyway.  I would have used caste instead of gender to allow more interesting outcomes for many-casted critters, but the optimizations would be a nightmare (already had to jump from 2 to 6 relationship pools...).  Of course, all relationships are still eternal, so the lover thing is kind of broken now (sometimes it won't advance beyond lover because one of the parties is not interested in committing, but still neither ever breaks it off, ever...  not unrealistic in individual cases, but strange overall).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2014, 11:39:40 pm »

So, this is a feature and not a bug?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2014, 11:40:13 pm »

Yes it is!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2014, 11:42:34 pm »

And you can make all your dwarves unable to be gay by adding this to males:

[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]

And the same for females, but with FEMALE instead.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2014, 11:45:32 pm »

And you can make all your dwarves unable to be gay by adding this to males:

[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]

And the same for females, but with FEMALE instead.

Nah, you can just have [ORIENTATION:MALE:1:0:0]; I don't think it matters what the disinterest number is so long as the others are 0.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2014, 11:46:37 pm »

They're relative numbers, so both would work the same way if I'm supposing right.

As for the migrant-independent breeding stuff, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem at all from what I'm seeing, since the defaults settings still favour heterosexuals as the majority (as in real life)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2014, 11:51:18 pm »

Okay say I added the orientation tag to dwarfs for world gen and until I had say 30-50 dwarfs would I then be able to go in and re-enable same sex marriages or would I need that require a totally new world gen. Most of the init options seem to be able to take effect after world gen but I am fuzzy on whether doing so in the raws would be possible. This is a big part of the reason I would like to see it in the init as opposed to the raws.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2014, 11:51:29 pm »

They're relative numbers, so both would work the same way if I'm supposing right.

As for the migrant-independent breeding stuff, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem at all from what I'm seeing, since the defaults settings still favour heterosexuals as the majority (as in real life)

They're not relative numbers, toady said that they were:

<disinterested chance>:<lover-possible chance>:<commitment-possible chance>
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21