Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 51462 times)

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:44 pm »

So you people actively WANT homophobia in your game? And here I thought DF had a good community. Boy, was I wrong.

Again, kidnapping, cannibalism, and murder. What constitutes good to have in the game does not necessarily mean "good thing".

People choose to kidnap, murder, and be cannibals. Supporting the hatred of something people can't change is just plain wrong. I suppose you want racism in Dwarf Fortress, too? How about sexism? Get all the female dwarves to stay in the kitchen and make you a sandwich, eh?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »

Honestly? I'm gay and I would be devastated and quite offended if homophobia were implemented. There's more than enough of that in the real world, we don't need to put it in fantasy worlds under the guise of "realism".

The key is 'customization'. As long as Toady allows players to set and modify this kind of stuff...

So you people actively WANT homophobia in your game? And here I thought DF had a good community. Boy, was I wrong.
The community and this game does not exist to cater solely to your whims and beliefs.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2014, 01:43:19 pm »

Honestly? I'm gay and I would be devastated and quite offended if homophobia were implemented. There's more than enough of that in the real world, we don't need to put it in fantasy worlds under the guise of "realism".

The key is 'customization'. As long as Toady allows players to set and modify this kind of stuff...

The community and this game does not exist to cater solely to your whims and beliefs.

I could say the exact same of you. But since the majority of DF players are straight white males, that makes them more important than everyone else, I guess. Just like, I dunno, everywhere else in the world.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2014, 01:45:02 pm »

I reiterate:

Such terrible things, and their better opposites, exist in real life. As such, they should exist as possibilities in the game. We're not talking about making everyone in DF homophobic, sexist, and racist. We're talking about allowing the game to make some people like that, as some people are in real life. The existence of such people makes in DF would make it more realistic, and provide more compelling drama. Without adversity, how can there be tales of overcoming it?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »

I reiterate:

Such terrible things, and their better opposites, exist in real life. As such, they should exist as possibilities in the game. We're not talking about making everyone in DF homophobic, sexist, and racist. We're talking about allowing the game to make some people like that, as some people are in real life. The existence of such people makes in DF would make it more realistic, and provide more compelling drama. Without adversity, how can there be tales of overcoming it?

Yes, but as so many of the obviously-straight people in this thread have said, some of us play video games to escape reality. Just once I want a game that doesn't make sexuality an issue. Skyrim did it. Anyone can marry anyone else. I don't see why other games can't do that. It's simple.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:32 pm »

If it exists in the game, then those who really do not like it can use the game to eliminate those with the attitude in their fortress, whether through trying to make the attitude changed through general fortress atmosphere, modding, or killing all who hold that thought in violent manners.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:23 pm »

People choose to kidnap, murder, and be cannibals. Supporting the hatred of something people can't change is just plain wrong. I suppose you want racism in Dwarf Fortress, too? How about sexism? Get all the female dwarves to stay in the kitchen and make you a sandwich, eh?

This isn't support for anything. Murder kidnapping and cannibalism are as bad if not worse than homophobia and they're included in the game, not because the game supports those things it's just there it's part of the world and it makes it a richer place. I legitimately do not understand how you can condone the inclusion of murder kidnapping and cannibalism but be incensed at the idea of homophobia.

colorlessness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:41 pm »

Random science: made a couple of all-gay dwarf civs just because I could.  In one of them, goblins filled many of the slots in the 'important members of this civ' screen.  I assume the dwarves recruited some goblins to fill out the populace since there was no breeding...

For civ #2, created a pocket world with 1050 year history.  No recent entries of any dwarves in legends mode but it's still possible to embark in fortress mode.  I don't know if you can make dwarves go extinct from lack of offspring.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:47 pm »

I could say the exact same of you. But since the majority of DF players are straight white males, that makes them more important than everyone else, I guess. Just like, I dunno, everywhere else in the world.

I'm pretty sure the majority of DF players are autistic nerds first and foremost, the most opressed minority there is, so HAH I WIN!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:29 pm »

You guys are making too much fuss over this. Really.

Gay dwarves are a thing, and that's OK. It is neither good nor bad, it just is now. Thats fine with me.

(Will never understand why sexual preference makes people lose their minds like this.)

Conversely, since this kind of thing DOES, INVARIABLY happen in real life (People going apeshit over what somebody else finds preferable in the bedroom-- and people going apeshit over people going apeshit about what people find preferable in the bedroom) I think it should also be a thing in the game.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:09 pm »

I reiterate:

Yes, but as so many of the obviously-straight people in this thread have said, some of us play video games to escape reality. Just once I want a game that doesn't make sexuality an issue. Skyrim did it. Anyone can marry anyone else. I don't see why other games can't do that. It's simple.

You could just mod it out if it's ever implemented(which I doubt it ever will tbh) like I'm sure plenty of others are doing now who don't want gay dwarves.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »

I reiterate:

Then you could mod it out. But I don't think DF is a very good candidate for escapism, given what's in it already. There's some highly depressing stuff...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:27 pm »

I like how everyone's okay with roasting unwanted children in a bath of molten stone, but the minute someone doesn't like the presence of a different opinion, all red flags go up.

And that's quite a generalization about whites. Stop blaming everything on someone because of their color, rather than by their character.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2014, 01:52:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure the majority of DF players are autistic nerds first and foremost, the most opressed minority there is, so HAH I WIN!

...Are you kidding me. Are you SERIOUSLY kidding me. You better be, because autistic nerds aren't oppressed nearly as much as other minorities. You're either making a terrible, offensive joke or you're actually so sheltered that you believe that crap.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2014, 01:53:37 pm »

I like how everyone's okay with roasting unwanted children in a bath of molten stone, but the minute someone doesn't like the presence of a different opinion, all red flags go up.

And that's quite a generalization about whites. Stop blaming everything on someone because of their color, rather than by their character.

I'm white. I'm not saying all white people are bad. I'm saying that whites as a whole are oppressive. There's a difference.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21