Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 51359 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2014, 10:40:28 pm »

Of course you'd do it with the elves.  :P

I'd say the best idea is to cut out the monogamy to start with. People recover from the deaths of spouses and find new ones, not to mention how many affairs there are out there. If Toady truly wants this to be a history simulator, he'll eventually be expanding on the subject.

For now the game's too incomplete to judge anyway. I'm pretty sure version 40 means we're only 40 percent of the way through the feature goals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2014, 10:45:47 pm »

My testing has shown that the following makes the majority of elves (9 out of 11, to be exact) gay:

[ORIENTATION:MALE:1:1:9]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:9:1:1]

If I were to guess, the ORIENTATION token means the following:

ORIENTATION:CASTE:female_chance:bisexual_chance:male_chance

So you can make your dwarves all straight easily by simply adding the following tokens to your dwarves:

[ORIENTATION:MALE:1:0:0]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:1]

So don't y'all worry about your eugenics.

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »

My testing has shown that the following makes the majority of elves (9 out of 11, to be exact) gay:

[ORIENTATION:MALE:1:1:9]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:9:1:1]

If I were to guess, the ORIENTATION token means the following:

ORIENTATION:CASTE:female_chance:bisexual_chance:male_chance

So you can make your dwarves all straight easily by simply adding the following tokens to your dwarves:

[ORIENTATION:MALE:1:0:0]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:1]

So don't y'all worry about your eugenics.
How did you test? With world gen?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:35 pm »

Yep, searched a few elven names in legends mode and took note of the married elves. All of them I found were gay, but the orientation stuff should make some of them not.

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:59 pm »

Yep, searched a few elven names in legends mode and took note of the married elves. All of them I found were gay, but the orientation stuff should make some of them not.
So without the [ORIENTATION] tag, elves are all heterosexual? I would try to do a control group also to make sure it's not just world gen pairing people on a whim. Maybe try the tag with dwarves on fortress mode. I'm no expert, just ideas that might not even be possible.

EDIT: Also, who edited the wiki? We shouldn't be throwing this out there unless enough testing/science is done. That's just jumping the gun.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:01:11 pm by Sumyunguy »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2014, 10:55:15 pm »

All of that should be highly possible.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »

Randomly generated sexual preferences for dwarves? I wouldn't mind.

Has anyone actually seen the goddamn marriage messages? If not then it's just probably a migrant problem.

The problem here is that everyone wants to be REALISTIC HOMOPHOBIC AWFULNESS v. HOMOSEXUAL EVERYTHING.

Personally I think this is a massive troll by toady1 to fuck with us all. You're all getting worked up over a ASCII Dorf Game with homos in. Plz staph.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:22 pm »

So without the [ORIENTATION] tag, elves are all heterosexual? I would try to do a control group also to make sure it's not just world gen pairing people on a whim. Maybe try the tag with dwarves on fortress mode. I'm no expert, just ideas that might not even be possible.

EDIT: Also, who edited the wiki? We shouldn't be throwing this out there unless enough testing/science is done. That's just jumping the gun.

Agreed, more science is needed. especially in cases where the tag is omitted.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »

GTA, stop generalizing. A lot of us are saying to make it an option, and we just had it suggestively proven (We need more science to fully confirm it) that there's already an option to it. It's not black and white.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »

Editing the wiki with some info rather than no info should be good. The verify there suggests that it needs more testing... which it does.

I'm pretty sure it's not worldgen, I have a dataset sample size of at least 23 just from casual searching of legends. The chance of that being random chance is... well, very, very low, a probability of I'd say probably 1 in 8388608 and that's assuming that 50% of all elves are gay by default, which they probably aren't. Where the tag is omitted is an interesting one. My probability back there could go up or down depending on how that works, but if it goes up then that means that more than 50% of elves are gay by default, which I doubt.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:29 pm »

This also begs the question of if you're playing with no dwarven civs why you want to lower the difficulty after increasing it greatly?

It's like playing CS:GO in pro MLG servers and using aim assist.

McVoyager I'm generalizing because that's how I rationalize these kinds of arguments. I find the two sides, find the space in between the issues, and attempt to bring everyone together. I don't think it should be an option. If you don't want homosexuals that bad just edit the damn dwarves to not accept it in the [ORIENTATION] tag. Jeeze y'all are lazy mofos.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »

That IS the option, GTA. The raws. That's ALL you need. Where it's NOT an option would be if it were hardcoded, and we've found that it isn't.

Modding the raws is always an option, as long as the factor's tagged for us. And that's all I asked for when making it an option. That there should be tags for this.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2014, 11:16:40 pm »

So it is actually a feature, not a bug.  This is very intriguing.

Looking at the raws, dwarves don't have an ORIENTATION tag either, and they're the first creatures, in which we've observed this phaenomenon.  I assume, the "default" values for an orientation do allow a chance of generating gay/bi people.

In fact, the night creature raws have this tag specifically to exclude homosexual night trolls, so that the conversion-breeding mechanic can work properly.  On the other hand, I could see this opening up a lot of possibilities for mods.  For example, in a race, in which there's a lot more of one gender than the other, it would make sense for homosexuality to be prevalent.

Come to think of it, do these tags also apply to non-sentient creatures?  I suspect, they would, as homosexual behaviour in animals is a well-documented phaenomenon.  I could definitely see bonobos using this tag.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:25:38 pm by samanato »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2014, 11:26:26 pm »

Come to think of it, do these tags also apply to non-sentient creatures?  I suspect, they would, as "gay" animals are a documented phaenomenon.
I think it's just to do with marriage. Animals reproduce via spores with no concern for marriage. Basically non-sentient creatures are all heterosexual sluts.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2014, 11:28:41 pm »

If the ORIENTATION tag does what I think it does, it might not need to be an init option at all as it would already be a raw option. I'm testing it right now by attempting to make elves gay.
Does this mean we could alter it to such a degree that every elf dies in world gen from fucking each other fruitlessly? Because I don't think we've had death-by-sex as a method for killing elves here, even in Dwarf Fortress.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21