Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Most efficient Uniform Setup  (Read 3247 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most efficient Uniform Setup
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 05:43:19 am »

I haven't actually tested if this works, but if you add the [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] tag to cloaks in the RAWs, it should keep Adamantine cloaks from decaying.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 05:50:26 am »

I usually add a shirt, a trouser and a sock/shoe to the uniform if I use "replace clothing" - which is always...
This is to stop bad thoughts - "was uncovered recently" - in case of some logistics problem with the available armor pieces. This way the new recruits won't start tantruming/berserking if they failed to equip a gauntlet for some reason.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:15 am »

I usually add a shirt, a trouser and a sock/shoe to the uniform if I use "replace clothing" - which is always...
This is to stop bad thoughts - "was uncovered recently" - in case of some logistics problem with the available armor pieces. This way the new recruits won't start tantruming/berserking if they failed to equip a gauntlet for some reason.

What I do is assign the uniforms with the default "over clothing" setting, and periodically check the m e screen to see what they've got.  When a given squad position has all the green checkmarks, I set that position to "replace clothing".  If a few checkmarks are missing, I forge some more armor, and repeat until everyone's got their checkmarks and has replaced their clothing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:31 pm »

Does adamantite being very light detract from it's ability to reduce blunt damage? Or is it still superior to all possible materials in that regard?

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 07:54:51 pm »

Does adamantite being very light detract from it's ability to reduce blunt damage? Or is it still superior to all possible materials in that regard?

Metal density and creature size are the most important factors in dealing blunt damage. Adamantine is light enough that it will be almost impossible to harm creatures with hammers made of it.

What do cloaks do, exactly? (There isn't anything I could find on the wiki-- I'm guessing maybe they protect from certain attacks perhaps liquids). Is a hood helpful as well?

Cloaks have 100% coverage; they'll block attacks to every part of the face, even features like eyes and noses that helms won't. As far as I know a hood won't provide any more protection.

As for armor layers go, I go with a mix of metal and leather until my dwarves gain better armor skill. Metal helms, breastplates and gauntlets with leather armor, leggings and boots provides decent protection without tanking movement speed.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 02:10:53 am »

Metal density and creature size are the most important factors in dealing blunt damage. Adamantine is light enough that it will be almost impossible to harm creatures with hammers made of it.

I'm asking about armor. What material should armor be made out of so that it offers best protection against blunt damage?

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 07:50:49 am »

Oh, sorry. If you're willing to go through the effort, layers of clothing under armor is the best way to defend against blunt damage; you can stack many shirts, caps and such underneath a full suit of armor. Adamantine is still the best material for the armor.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »

you can stack many shirts, caps and such underneath a full suit of armor.

You absolutely cannot stack caps under armor.  You can't even stack 2 caps together with nothing else.  They are "shaped", which prevents the use of any other "shaped" item in the same slot.  Helms are also "shaped", so you can't wear 2 helms, or 2 caps, or 1 helm and 1 cap.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »

What I've been using for a while now is (based on my current fortress) is:
  • mail shirt, breastplate, shirt, vest and cloak
  • helm and hood
  • greaves and trousers
  • gauntlets and gloves
  • socks and high boots
  • shield
  • spears (or whatever weapon the squad is assigned)
I use 'replace clothing' and 'partial matches' so the dwarves auto-upgrade to the best quality/material available.

Leggings work better than trousers as they are leather armor, however, I have a shortage of leather at the moment thus the use of trousers instead.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 08:41:22 pm »

Some caveats:
-"individual choice weapon" means "most expensive weapon of any type," not "best quality weapon I'm trained in." So a proficient speardwarf might grab a sword or axe.
-For some reason, "metal" seems to include "Bone"
-You can wear multiple layers of things.
Here's what I usually have them wear for melee dwarves:
-Helmet
-Wood/leather shield (all shields are equal, so I go for a light one)
-3x Mail Shirts
-1x Breastplate
-2x Trousers
-Greaves
-Socks
-High Boots
-Gauntlets
-3x Cloaks
-3x Hoods
-Spears/Axes/Swords/Maces/etc. I make sure to specify which type so they use the kind they have skills in.

The clothes (trousers, socks, cloaks, hoods) are optional. They don't add a lot, honestly. However, if you have lots of cloth, you can give them up to 10 or so cloaks and hoods each. My ranged dwarves usually just make do with a shield and a crossbow.

EDIT: for armour materials, Adamantine is best, followed by steel, followed by iron and bronze (which are pretty much equivalent; iron is slightly lighter), followed by copper, followed by anything else (bone/leather), which is useless.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 02:24:50 am »

-Helmet
-Wood/leather shield (all shields are equal, so I go for a light one)
-3x Mail Shirts
-1x Breastplate
-2x Trousers
-Greaves
-Socks
-High Boots
-Gauntlets
-3x Cloaks
-3x Hoods
-Spears/Axes/Swords/Maces/etc. I make sure to specify which type so they use the kind they have skills in.

Nope. This may be good for legendary soldiers with very high armor skill, but not an overall best uniform. Armor has weight, and putting so much sh!t on a rookie will slow them down - and most likely cause their deaths. You can get away with this setup if you use addy, but heavier metals (copper-»steel) will overburden them too much.
Pages: 1 [2]