Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.03 Released  (Read 37689 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.03 Released
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »

With all possible respect Toady, you might want to put "save compatibility" on the list with "release times" as something we all should just understand you'll try your best on.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 05:42:39 pm »

With all possible respect Toady, you might want to put "save compatibility" on the list with "release times" as something we all should just understand you'll try your best on.
I would go even further. "No save compatibility guaranteed, period". If new version is compatibile, that's nice, lucky you. Otherwise, well. It is not like anyone is forced to play always newest version. I consider any non-trivial save compatibility work as waste of time that could be used for, say, debugging.

For once "this is only alpha" excuse is actually valid excuse.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 06:01:48 pm »

I think Today pretty much stated in the last changelog that the first few patches are going to be for major bugs which would probably break save compatability so it's good to get them out of the way early.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »

Wouldn't save compatibility be a waste of time if the bugfixes would only take a few days without the time spent, and probably weeks with the time spent for compatibility?
Unless you mean compatibility since the last major version, in which case far too much has changed to make the effort really worth it...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 10:32:09 pm »

Here’s what I’ve got so far in 0.40.03:

I can run worldgen with a default number of sites on a medium world for 200 years without a crash. Worldgen on a medium world with 1500 sites per civ (300 civs max) produces crashes at 200 years, but at 100 years works fine, producing some nice, expansive civilisations with proper roads.

For some reason I am unable to reclaim any of the ruined worldgen fortresses in this version, despite there being ruined forts.

Calendar progression is still rather slow, but that’s OK for me. I’ll need to see which embark size gets me a decent 100 FPS through establishment of my initial excavations.

Still seeing birds stuck in the sky, not leaving the embark.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:39 am »

I'm so excited about these frequent bug fixes. Woohoo!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 12:10:32 pm »

40.03 is crashing a lot more for me than  40.02. Anyone else have this problem? Random crashes in adventure mode all the time, without discernible reason.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:29 pm »

Do you have a retired fort in the world?  We're tracking down something related to that.

edit: the pop bug could also do it -- if you go into legends on your world and the sites_and_pops export txt has some high pops for sites, those places could be destructive.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 01:24:02 pm »

Do you have a retired fort in the world?  We're tracking down something related to that.

edit: the pop bug could also do it -- if you go into legends on your world and the sites_and_pops export txt has some high pops for sites, those places could be destructive.

No, no fort, just fresh generated pocket worlds. It happened both in Travel mode or just walking around...in truth isn't really a crash to desktop, the game just locks itself (the window stop responding) and when you click again it asks if you want to close the program.

No pop_bug in this case, at max there are 10000 goblins (I generated many worlds, goblin usually destroy other civs in pocket worlds). One thing in common is that all my pocket worlds have a lot of megabeasts and high savagery (I enjoy apocalyptic scenarios)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:26:05 pm by thvaz »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »

Just found the cause for the retire crash - fort retirement makes it much more common, but it could happen for any world.  If the pocket world has more position replacement than usual, due to dead rulers and so on, that could be it, though it's quite possibly something new and exciting.  If you get a reproducible crash I could use the save to confirm.  Otherwise, we'll continue to hope and work!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 01:41:19 pm »

I didn't open a report yet because I couldn't reproduce it. I will try more.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 04:25:00 pm »

though it's quite possibly something new and exciting.
Dwarf fortress: where a significant source of emergent gameplay involves finding and squashing new and exciting bugs!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »

though it's quite possibly something new and exciting.
Dwarf fortress: where a significant source of emergent gameplay involves finding and squashing new and exciting bugs!

That's what I'm watching this for. Dunno about the rest of you. lol

Exactly what I explain to new players. A lot of the fun and narrative of DF is finding bugs or quirks created through accidental relationships within the code. Sometimes it can crash a game or prevent certain events from happening, but in most cases it causes unexpected hilarity rather than frustration, which gives it that bungling, stumbling, drunken dwarf attitude just being itself.  :D

(Of course, I still have half a mind that some of these bugs are just dwarfy enough to not be accidental. :P)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:11:24 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »

I just experienced a crash from the main menu when I left the game running for about half an hour while doing random stuff in reddit. Obviously I'm not bothered but I'm going to see if It's already on mantis.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]