Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Wiki :(  (Read 8157 times)

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
Re: Dwarf Fortress Wiki :(
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 06:14:27 am »

It probably costs a lot less to host the forums than the wiki for a couple reasons:

• The wiki is set up as a high availablity cluster. This involves a number of high performance servers; if we were to drop to a simple setup it could probably done on a single VPS. Our current cluster has 4 web facing nodes (dfweb1-4)
  • The costs I include also include the costs of the company I use to host the wiki - this way I'm protected from liability if someone decided to sue over the wiki (unlikely, but possible). This amounts to about $200$100 (I can't read bank statements apparently) a month of the costs.
  • MediaWiki, especially a heavily customized MediaWiki setup like we have, is very very very CPU hungry. A forum would be much less CPU hungry and likely much easier to host. I'd estimate the forums cost between $20-150 per month to host. We pay between $40 - $120 per server per month.
  • We host a huge number of images at the wiki that get linked elsewhere, etc. I don't mind (and you should feel free to continue to do so), but it does become a major contributor to the amount of bandwidth we need.
  • When I say high availability, I mean it. We've weathered massive traffic increases without hiccups in service - for example, we once dealt with a 14,000% increase in traffic based off a news article http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/dwarf-fortress-ten-hours-with-the-most-inscrutable-video-game-of-all-time/). Of course, I have managed to break the site on occassion ...

edit - Apparently I really like lists. Here's why: 1. ...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:44:04 am by Locriani »
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:24 am »

An obsession with lists is a good prerequisite for starting a wiki. Thank you for illustrating the effort that goes into maintaining the wiki, like many here I would admit that I had no idea it wasn't just a simple thing, and I'm sure many others are as grateful as I am for the availability of such a valuable resource.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 10:52:27 pm »

We don't accept donations because we'd much rather your monetary donations go to ToadyOne. If the ads are too intrusive, feel free to block them with adblock or something similar, I won't be offended.

There is currently a problem with our mailer service that I'm looking into, but I don't have an ETA for a fix. I'll probably have more time to take a good long look at it this upcoming weekend.

Hi Locriani and thanks for your reply.  The ads really aren't so intrusive.  I wasn't on my home computer, at the time and I found out they had installed browser add-ons that compound the ads with pop-ups and whatever else.

Has the mailer service been fixed?
Pages: 1 [2]