Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Wiki :(  (Read 8115 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Wiki :(
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:50:45 pm »

I tried to create an account on the wiki so I could contribute.

First, the e-mail validation failed (both attempts), even though I used a valid address:

Dwarf Fortress Wiki could not send your confirmation mail. Please check your e-mail address for invalid characters.
Mailer returned: Unknown error in PHP's mail() function.

Second, all the ads were intolerable.  They interfered with everything and were very intrusive.  I'd be willing to donate space for a wiki without ads but I'd really like to see a better deployment without the annoying ads.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Wiki :(
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:03:02 pm »

browser addons such as Noscript will open up a whole new world for you, ads?  What ads??
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:55:56 pm »

Ads are what pay for the site, so it would be cool if you could learn to live with them. I have the wiki whitelisted in Adblock plus.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »

Are you forgetting about donations?  I'd much rather donate then deal with intrusive ads. 
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:25:24 am »

We don't accept donations because we'd much rather your monetary donations go to ToadyOne. If the ads are too intrusive, feel free to block them with adblock or something similar, I won't be offended.

There is currently a problem with our mailer service that I'm looking into, but I don't have an ETA for a fix. I'll probably have more time to take a good long look at it this upcoming weekend.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:27:45 am »

Also, if you have a specific instance of an ad blocking any wiki content (or otherwise being intrusive), please take a screenshot and note the page & advertisement so I can resolve the problem.

I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:50:19 am »

I didn't know the wiki ever had ads.

I guess ignorance can be bliss!
Worship!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:10:11 am »

I didn't know the wiki ever had ads.

I guess ignorance can be bliss!
It does but they don't tend to be intrusive enough that I notice them.

cherbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:27 am »

We don't accept donations because we'd much rather your monetary donations go to ToadyOne. If the ads are too intrusive, feel free to block them with adblock or something similar, I won't be offended.

There is currently a problem with our mailer service that I'm looking into, but I don't have an ETA for a fix. I'll probably have more time to take a good long look at it this upcoming weekend.

Have a monthly donation target to pay for the hosting required and any excess each month can be donated to Bay12.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »

Hmm, I am not clear on the costs--

is it a cost to do the hosting?  What is included in that package? Or is it a cost to use the software?

Are charges including bandwidth?  How does it scale the load, or does it? 

I'm curious as to the monthly bandwidth load; some sites have ads that pay for themselves, and some are labors of love!

(Personally, if a family member has a blog with ads, I don't understand why they expect me to watch the ads so they can make money trying to show me their baby/vacation/new shiny object pictures -- but then I am strange that way.  The wiki is another matter entirely--that's hobby or business, and is more acceptable in that regard.)

igless

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 02:38:14 am »

Have a monthly donation target to pay for the hosting required and any excess each month can be donated to Bay12.

The costs for hosting the wiki are actually fairly high, approaching $1k a month. We have a fairly large load balanced setup which gives us high uptime and high load tolerance.

The advertisements bring in around $500-700 a month. I cover the difference.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 02:55:57 am »

*clicks on ads*
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 02:57:17 am »

^Does clicking on the ads make a difference?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:45:54 am »

You shouldn't feel the need to click on ads just to make things better for me, although I appreciate it. :) Instead, if there's something that interests you, check it out, but if you just click on random ads a couple things happen:
  • your ad profile gets all jacked up and you start seeing silly ads all over the place on the interwebs
  • the wiki's ad profile gets all jacked up and you start seeing silly ads all over the wiki
  • the ads (if you just click randomly) get rejected as invalid clicks and marked as fraudulent, and I don't get the however many pennies per click on an ad because fraudulent clicks.
I only ask for one thing: that you contribute to the wiki. Hosting costs / whatever else are otherwise all taken care of.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:47:28 am by Locriani »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:11:15 am »

..... Just... wow.
How much then would it cost Toady to host the forums? Seriously on a bad month he only gets 3 times that in donations which get taxed too :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2