Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841246 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1095 on: January 13, 2015, 05:10:32 am »

You don't get it

Urist McBard (to Urist McAudience1): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."
Urist McAudience1 (to Urist McBard): "That is terrific!"
Urist McAudience1 (to Urist McAudience2): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."
Urist McAudience2 (to Urist McAudience1): "That is terrific!"
Urist McAudience2 (to Urist McBard): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."
Urist McBard (to Urist McAudience2): "It was inevitable!"
Urist McBard (to Urist McAudience1): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."

Because Urist McBard already knows.

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 13, 2015, 08:32:10 am »

Will we be able to create fixed events during world creation; things such as a specific text/book, or perhaps a song, that will then appear in the game by someone either not specified or a person of importance?

SupremeSandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 13, 2015, 10:00:11 am »

Will recipes (when added) include non-food recipes? i.e recipes to recreate artifacts
Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 13, 2015, 12:56:51 pm »

Will recipes (when added) include non-food recipes? i.e recipes to recreate artifacts
The recipes will likely only be for consumables, and probably only for actual food rather that other things like alchemy, at least at the start. Either way, artifacts would not be among the things recipes would be used for.

Will we be able to create fixed events during world creation; things such as a specific text/book, or perhaps a song, that will then appear in the game by someone either not specified or a person of importance?
It seems possible, though not particularly likely, that songs and stories get a raw format of their own, which could work like (or be part of) the descriptions raws. I wouldn't count on it for the time being though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:38 pm »

I feel like this has been asked but will there be books that grant experience to the reader? Or more aquired abilities?
Similar to necromancy

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 14, 2015, 04:09:05 am »

With the tavern update, will all of our fortress some of the more immoderate dwarves will actually become drunk, with different degrees of drunkenness (I suppose it would be shown in the Wounds screen as Tipsy, Drunk, Dead Drunk, etc., like Stunned and the other status effects), and cause drunken shenanigans all over your fort ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:07:41 am by Naryar »

Tabris01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 14, 2015, 09:01:29 am »

If books are used in some way, will they or some kind of writing material be needed in administration, at least from a certain point of time?

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 14, 2015, 10:31:32 am »

I feel like this has been asked but will there be books that grant experience to the reader? Or more aquired abilities?
Similar to necromancy

I don't think this quite answers your question, but Toady mentioned something about a knowledge system in the November FOTF reply, potentially going in during start scenarios, though it's really up in the air at this point.

Which brings me to a related question. How do you intend to mitigate feature creep during starting scenarios?  It's beginning to sound like a magical, solve-everything release, which means it will take a very long time to implement.

How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 14, 2015, 11:12:35 am »

Similar to necromancy

I don't think this quite answers your question, but Toady mentioned something about a knowledge system in the November FOTF reply, potentially going in during start scenarios, though it's really up in the air at this point.

Which brings me to a related question. How do you intend to mitigate feature creep during starting scenarios?  It's beginning to sound like a magical, solve-everything release, which means it will take a very long time to implement.
It's related to the scenarios because your mission might be to acquire new knowledge for your civ.  Right now the only civ-level knowledge is domesticating animals, but that might be expanded to learning how to work new-to-your-civ plants or ores or items.  This could easily wait to a second or third release of the scenario feature.

If scenarios differ only in their embark resources and Mountainhome mandates, they seem relatively lightweight on gameplay.  If running an Outpost is practically a different game from running a Temple, then yes it could turn into a bloat catastrophe.  I have faith in Toady that he won't do the minimum, nor will he destroy the game.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 14, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »

something I have long wondered about:
do you have plans on how to implement multi tile creatures graphically?  for example, will a bronze collosus be a bunch of Cs in the shape of a collosus, or using existing characters to make different parts look like a foot or a head or whatever?
x
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 14, 2015, 01:42:37 pm »

Wagons are already in the game, so I expect they should be modelled like that, at least at first. Eventually I would like to see different body parts on different tiles, so dwarves would have to climb on a colossus to attack its head.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 14, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »

Eventually I would like to see different body parts on different tiles, so dwarves would have to climb on a colossus to attack its head.
well that's in the current dev list, so maybe within 10 years?  :D
you make a good point with the wagons but that's a pretty easy creature to represent so I don't know if that would be the approach later
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 14, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

Wagons are already in the game, so I expect they should be modelled like that, at least at first. Eventually I would like to see different body parts on different tiles, so dwarves would have to climb on a colossus to attack its head.
siege engine revamps, no military is going to take on a multi tile chunk of hostile bronze lol

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 14, 2015, 02:39:20 pm »

A bronze colossus is supposed to be 1/4 as big as the Statue of Liberty. That means it should take up that many tiles. A bunch of dwarves with hand weapons should not give it much trouble. That is what giant, deadly contraptions and magma are for.

As I often say, beasts are generally too weak at the moment.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 14, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »

A bronze colossus is supposed to be 1/4 as big as the Statue of Liberty. That means it should take up that many tiles. A bunch of dwarves with hand weapons should not give it much trouble. That is what giant, deadly contraptions and magma are for.

As I often say, beasts are generally too weak at the moment.
The issue isn't so much that the militia can hack a bronze colossus until it stops moving if they have hard enough weapons.  The issue is that it can scamper down a narrow staircase to get at your militia while a merchant's cart requires a 6m-wide ramp.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 306