Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839440 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1110 on: January 14, 2015, 02:50:00 pm »

It should also obey the rules of wagons and not be able to enter too small areas, vertically or horizontally. I would like it to be able to smash weak or thin walls, but that would require sweeping changes to the game.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 14, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »

If you were implementing them now, would furniture like chairs be tools?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 14, 2015, 11:26:29 pm »

With the addition of temples, will religious festivals and observances ever come into play?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 14, 2015, 11:42:19 pm »

Finally! We'll be able to assign a "mayor's mansion" or something like that.

With temples are we going to have new furniture (such as, altars)? Or will that be covered by existing furniture (like tables)?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 14, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

I, for one, look forward to, (Depending on the Diety) ritualistic sacrifice.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 15, 2015, 01:53:11 am »

Will the new temples in fort mode tie into desecration and curses (in the initial release)?

Obviously it'd happen eventually, just want to know about the timeframe. I can't imagine that there would be a command to desecrate an altar, but a tantruming dwarf might do so unthinkingly.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:57 am »

Temples ! Elaborate obsidian altars! Flowing rivers of blood ! Officialized magma sacrifices ! Yessss!

Now all of this has official justification ! Finally !

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:37 am »

Hehehe from the sounds of it, initially it will be simply another activity zone where your dwarf stop by every once in a while to get a happy thought.

I would love to have customize gods for civs, or at least something more controllable, like the Mountain God for dwarves and such.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 15, 2015, 08:21:21 am »

Temples! PRAISE ARMOK! I might actually take a break from Minecraft to build ridiculous monuments here for a change.

Can a single temple designation be aligned to more than one deity, or would you need to make overlapping zones?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:36 am »

Can a single temple designation be aligned to more than one deity, or would you need to make overlapping zones?
Was wondering the same. If you dedicate a big temple for a single god then worshipers of that god might get a bigger happy thought praying there than say, the same temple but shared with the whole pantheon of 26 more gods which they don't worship.

Chapels to the goddess of mining right in the entrance of the mines...

Also Toady, you mention music, and music is well, noise, sound, does this means that the noise mechanics are getting an update? Would taverns be noisy? What about the music? Should we expect some changes regarding sound?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:33:46 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 15, 2015, 10:18:53 am »

Temples! PRAISE ARMOK! I might actually take a break from Minecraft to build ridiculous monuments here for a change.

I would expect overlapping zones, at least for an initial release.  And if the overlapping rooms logic applies to zones, it would decrease the "value" of each zone.  The Goddess of Death and Greed would not be pleased :)

If you have, say, four deities, you could use four different zones that overlap at a single corner.  You have a big altar thing in the overlap, and appropriate furniture in each of the dedicated areas.

There is plenty of precedent for temples to be far-and-away more elaborate than any other buildings in the area, and even in the time of kings the temples often rivaled the palaces.  Toady, do you intend to leave the temple design up to the player (simple shrine to megaproject) or will the requirements increase as the number of worshipers and/or fort wealth increase?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:18 am »

Will the new temples in fort mode tie into desecration and curses (in the initial release)?
That's extremely unlikely. As Toady said in the devlog, they're not doing much with temples yet.

There is plenty of precedent for temples to be far-and-away more elaborate than any other buildings in the area, and even in the time of kings the temples often rivaled the palaces.  Toady, do you intend to leave the temple design up to the player (simple shrine to megaproject) or will the requirements increase as the number of worshipers and/or fort wealth increase?
For the first release, I doubt that there'll be much, if anything, in terms of requirements beyond a meeting zone. That seems more like start scenario territory.

With the addition of temples, will religious festivals and observances ever come into play?
Ever? Yes. :P Religious festivals and holy days are at least implied on the old dev page. For example:
Bloat382, MORE SPHERE LINKS FOR TEMPLES, (Future): Right now, only certain deity spheres get architecture links in their corresponding temples. There's more that can be done there, and the concept can be expanded from architecture to many other elements of the faith/temple, so that certain type of items/creatures/festivals/rituals/etc. occur in the temple.
PowerGoal82, ON KARNAK'S GOOD SIDE, (Future): It is the Holy Day of Karnak. The people gather in their customary place at night in the Baron's orchard for their prayer circle. After the prayer, the player is elevated to one of the positions within the priesthood emphasizing Karnak's association with the sun rather than one emphasizing his association with suffering
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 15, 2015, 01:04:27 pm »

Will the main version number update with the addition of taverns?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 15, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »

Will the main version number update with the addition of taverns?
It's pretty likely - Toady said that they're about halfway to 0.41 in the "new" system (that's been in effect since 0.31.01).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 15, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

With the addition of temples will the "defile the temple" night-creature creating event now be able to happen in our own fortresses?

This might lead to some interesting events in our fortresses.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 306