Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834241 times)

MrLupenTails

• Bay Watcher
  • MrLupenTails admires Gnolls for their bloodlust.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1125 on: January 15, 2015, 09:23:39 pm »

Is it going to be possible to play as the different animal people in Adventurer mode or Fortress mode? (Such as Cave Swallowmen, etc.) Will these animal people be capable of making their our temples or religious totems?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:20 pm »

all things considered with multi-culture forts comeing in (starting with the tavern arc) it's probably going to be possible to at least get animal pepole in you forts, I think NPC villages and civs can already do so (I see Sasquatch recruits on the surface all the time) but I would love confirmation and details. If someone like a animal man joins or fort will we get access to there tech, like will we be able to make blow Darts?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 15, 2015, 09:57:49 pm »

all things considered with multi-culture forts comeing in (starting with the tavern arc) it's probably going to be possible to at least get animal pepole in you forts, I think NPC villages and civs can already do so (I see Sasquatch recruits on the surface all the time) but I would love confirmation and details. If someone like a animal man joins or fort will we get access to there tech, like will we be able to make blow Darts?

(made less impossible to read)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:45 pm »

What settings make it easy to read? I can't find the right ones....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 15, 2015, 10:01:55 pm »

Lime green.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »

Also, not changing the font and not intentionally making your text smaller than normal.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:48 pm »

With the addition of temples will the "defile the temple" night-creature creating event now be able to happen in our own fortresses?

This might lead to some interesting events in our fortresses.

Urist McHeretic, Cheese Maker has been smitten for defiling a holy place!
Urist McHeretic, Cheese Maker has been found dead.

Urist McApostate, Miller has been smitten for defiling a holy place!
The wereskunk Urist McApostate has appeared! A skunk twisted into humanoid form. Now you will know why you fear the night.

Urist McDeathworship, Animal Caretaker prays to Thędbish, the god of death and resurrection.
Urist McDeathworship, Animal Caretaker has received a strange tablet from Thędbish, the god of death and resurrection.
Rakust McLegendary, Armorsmith cancels worship: interrupted by yak hair.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 16, 2015, 12:14:58 am »

Considering that a lot of religious worship involves music, will the music creation activities in taverns be extended to happen in temples?  Or do you see temples more as places for quiet reflection and prayer?

Also, if we have people who worship a megabeast or titan in our fortress, will we be able to create a temple to said creature?
  If it invades, it could see the temple in its honor and either decide that it is a nice place to stick around, or just that since we worship it, it doesn't need to murder all our citizens.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 16, 2015, 03:39:15 am »

Reading the devlogs is continuing to amaze me for a while now.
All the things that are planned for the future are interesting enough.

But currently the development seems to proceed in a good pace.
At it becomes clear, why the changes before 40.1 have such deep impact.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 18, 2015, 05:44:09 am »

Temples ! Elaborate obsidian altars! Flowing rivers of blood ! Officialized magma sacrifices ! Yessss!

Now all of this has official justification ! Finally !

Vanilla dwarves will NEVER choose to engage in blood sacrifice.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 18, 2015, 10:51:50 am »

Temples ! Elaborate obsidian altars! Flowing rivers of blood ! Officialized magma sacrifices ! Yessss!

Even to the gods of death ?

If it isn't goblin sacrifice it will be animal sacrifice.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 18, 2015, 01:15:55 pm »

Even to the gods of death ?

If it isn't goblin sacrifice it will be animal sacrifice.

Mmmm, I doubt it. While the ethics don't prohibit it outright, I think the TORTURE ethics are the most closely applicable. AS_EXAMPLE, FOR_INFORMATION, FOR_FUN, and ANIMALS are all UNTHINKABLE, and I'd say ritual sacrifice is gruesome enough to fall under those for at least sapient kills. However, I'm stretching things here, so I think there will be ETHIC:RITUAL_SACRIFICE coming along sooner or later. (MAKE_TROPHY also seems applicable...)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 18, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

Later, the Starting Scenarios mini-arc will include "Expand framework of law, custom, rights, property and status as needed to provide a variety of scenarios". Some of those heavily tie in with ethics, so there might be a minor ethics rewrite/overhaul/upgrade/expansion coming in the near-ish future (but the general flavors of the vanilla races defined by the existing ethics probably won't change much, if at all).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 18, 2015, 04:02:22 pm »

Mmmm, I doubt it. While the ethics don't prohibit it outright, I think the TORTURE ethics are the most closely applicable. AS_EXAMPLE, FOR_INFORMATION, FOR_FUN, and ANIMALS are all UNTHINKABLE, and I'd say ritual sacrifice is gruesome enough to fall under those for at least sapient kills. However, I'm stretching things here, so I think there will be ETHIC:RITUAL_SACRIFICE coming along sooner or later. (MAKE_TROPHY also seems applicable...)

It depends on how gruesome the sacrifice is imagined to be.  Capital punishment tends to be pretty gruesome all by itself, and vanilla dwarves are okay with that.  Remember that all of the innovations in capital punishment intended to reduce the convict's suffering (starting with the guillotine and currently at lethal injection) occurred well after the timeframe for DF.  They're also okay with a Fell Mood turning a random citizen into a piece of furniture.

So in short, I can see vanilla dwarves being convinced to go along with sacrifices, but only for "enemies"/"criminals" in some official sanctioned manner.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:04:18 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 18, 2015, 05:56:47 pm »

In the middle ages, in England anyway, nobles usually had a theoretically painless death by beheading, though it was often botched in practice as the axeman failed to strike cleanly. Commoners faced the far more horrible methods of hanging, burning for heresy, and drawing, hanging and quartering for treason. Many people about to be burned were first strangled to death to spare them the torture of the flames. The concept of a humane execution certainly existed in 1400, but it was only often applied to the nobility.

Hammering is gruesome, but since the first blow of a hammer to the head should be instant death, it is not really torturous. Dwarves could sacrifice goblins to Armok by hammering, though I think casting into magma would be more appropriate in that case. Gods should vary in their demand for sacrifices, with some wanting none, others wanting animals and the bloodiest wanting prisoners. Dwarves could then embark on Aztec-style "flower wars" to capture prisoners for sacrifice.

Dwarven ethics never stopped horrors like restraining live goblins and slowly shooting them to death with wooden bolts, so I doubt they would get in the way of sacrifices.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 306