Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834320 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1155 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:09 pm »

It will not show up in game at first, since temples are currently barely developed, but it makes sense that some religions are more violent than others. That does not necessarily mean that the god is associated with a more violent thing; gods of the sun and fertility also received sacrifices.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 19, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »

It will not show up in game at first, since temples are currently barely developed, but it makes sense that some religions are more violent than others. That does not necessarily mean that the god is associated with a more violent thing; gods of the sun and fertility also received sacrifices.
"Our god has spoken.  He demands that we establish an order of knights to enforce his will upon our plane.  And he demands a shrubbery."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 20, 2015, 09:07:59 am »

Nee!!

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »

At least I don't have to chop any trees down with a herring.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 20, 2015, 02:07:33 pm »

When a historical figure becomes a legend by defeating an evil beast,or when they become a important leader,they usually receive engravings,statues and books that concerns their heroic acts.Will such people receive a song in their honor?Maybe even a play about them?
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 20, 2015, 03:39:14 pm »

Randomly generated plays would be a wonderful addition to the DF world. Surrealism would come centuries early.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 20, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

Randomly generated plays would be a wonderful addition to the DF world. Surrealism would come centuries early.

Narrator: "In the year 1066, Urist McSoldier killed a creature composed of ash by bashing it in the foot with a pair of pants, but the creature removed Urist's heart, liver, and guts first."

Actor: *Has impromptu surgery onstage, or imitates it if he has had the procedure already*

And then the narrator drinks the actor's blood until the actor dies.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 21, 2015, 04:48:44 am »

Does the temples being fully developed suggest a possible use for the gods and more dynamics between the religions? Or when finished just be focused on individual temples and inside fortress dynamics?

and guiltishly doing two

Will religions be fleshed out in terms of how their tenants, outside spheres and the individual gods, work? Such as if they allow multiple god worship, accept new gods to the pantheon, and what they consider to be profane? I guess I don't really need a specific answer I guess what I mean is: Is there going to be more to religions outside the individual gods?

Oddly enough that is what I am really interested in because one of the things I found interested was the religion dynamics within the game. For example some wars or disagreements being made because of the worship of deities often within the same religion (Oddly often with gods of death... which makes sense 'fictional world' wise but not 'world history' wise) and I was just like "Is that god the evil god of this pantheon? or are they just fighting over godly supremacy".

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 21, 2015, 05:03:45 am »

In relation to religion ,is any sort mythology generation (god X father of god Y, genealogy tree, relationships between gods like in most mythology or things like this) an idea you are working on, or will gods remain independant from each other ?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 21, 2015, 07:36:01 am »

I see you guys really, really try hard to make Toady go for long distraction... sure, go all for it if you want two-year release again. ::)

He clearly said he added temples only because he did not want only one entry on list. I am surprised dwarves even do anything at all. Probably because Toady has to code "go to large location and perform some activity resulting in some thought" for taverns anyway.

So don't expect religion being fleshed out in any capacity in near future. In this context, I find all these questions about religion premature.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:38:04 am by reality.auditor »
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 21, 2015, 07:45:24 am »

I really need my fix of devlog... it has been a week now and I'm entering withdrawal!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 21, 2015, 10:33:26 am »

So don't expect religion being fleshed out in any capacity in near future. In this context, I find all these questions about religion premature.
It's not the Near Future of the Fortress thread :)  Toady One has created a fantastic game that sparks a lot of interest, and some people are curious about what he sees as the long-term goals of the project.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:48 am »

Are taverns going to be re-sized?Because the current taverns are so tiny that I doubt someone could trow a party there.
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 21, 2015, 11:03:02 am »

Current taverns were placeholders as stated by Toady himself before release of 0.40, so most probably yes.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:57 am »

Does the temples being fully developed suggest a possible use for the gods and more dynamics between the religions? Or when finished just be focused on individual temples and inside fortress dynamics?

and guiltishly doing two

Will religions be fleshed out in terms of how their tenants, outside spheres and the individual gods, work? Such as if they allow multiple god worship, accept new gods to the pantheon, and what they consider to be profane? I guess I don't really need a specific answer I guess what I mean is: Is there going to be more to religions outside the individual gods?

That's arguably starting scenario territory, or rather, a small part of the huge "framework for starting scenarios" territory:
Framework
Expand framework of law, custom, rights, property and status as needed to provide a variety of scenarios
Foundation of laws, both natural and supernatural
Explicit standing of different citizens vs. civilization authorities
Possible expansion of religious and family concepts to provide sufficient scenarios

Are taverns going to be re-sized?Because the current taverns are so tiny that I doubt someone could trow a party there.
Likely not in this release, but in the ill-fated short term release list, tavern were linked with large manors for that reason, to be able to get large structures where needed (temples would then also get larger, as I recall). So, eventually it should happen.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 306