Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834373 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1185 on: January 23, 2015, 04:50:02 pm »

Establishing a roadside inn is one of the starting scenarios Toady is looking at for that section of the dev plans. This would probably involve fewer migrants (you'd likely have employees and people looking for jobs), no sieges, trouble with patrons, especially bandit-y ones, and so on.
With an unassuming hatch in the back room that open to a sprawling underground fortress...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 23, 2015, 10:28:45 pm »

With multi-racial forts being worked on, will other races' unique abilities come into play? For example, elves growing wood?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 24, 2015, 12:15:59 am »

Dukkim was entertained after heckling an awful musician. He was annoyed by the presence of music.

As far as room-groupings such as the mayorial suite, will these be added in with the temples/taverns, or will it wait until a subsequent release?
Will one of the new zones eventually replace the Trade Depot?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:35 am »

With multi-racial forts being worked on, will other races' unique abilities come into play? For example, elves growing wood?
Only to the extent that they already exist codewise, I'm sure. Toady won't take that much of a detour to actually add elves being able to make trees grow the grown wood items they sell, for example.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:59 am »

Why? It is a necessary mechanic for elves to work, and certainly if elves will ever be playable, which I am in favour of.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 24, 2015, 08:13:30 am »

Yeah, but perhaps they need more than an elf just being there to grown wood. Maybe altars or something. And what if is forbidden?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:08 am »

Why? It is a necessary mechanic for elves to work, and certainly if elves will ever be playable, which I am in favour of.
Exactly. It's important for elves to work for when they become playable. Not so much for dwarves who hire elves. Besides, what exactly elves do with their trees is an unresolved question at the moment, and will likely depend on the world's metaphysics. Right now, it would just be a distraction.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:06 am »

But an elf in a dwarf fortress would still function like an elf in an elf fortress. If elves are to become permanent residents in dwarf fortresses, it will become theoretically possible to make a fort of nothing but elves if the starting dwarves die, so players can play as elves anyway. That means full functionality must exist for elves, else players doing this will be unable to get wood without resorting to cheap penis jokes.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 24, 2015, 11:42:06 am »

Are you looking around the world for pub inspiration and drinking culture? Come to think of it, I'm sure there are regional twists beyond what you drink and how much.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:47:52 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 24, 2015, 02:09:33 pm »

I wonder how much the gods will interact with their in-fort temples. Cursing defilers? Or perhaps, related to a certain type of Adventurer-mode only HFS,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 24, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »

I swear if there are barfights broken noses better start being able to heal.
Will there be barfights that increase combat skills and train medical dwarves?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 24, 2015, 09:06:13 pm »

I swear if there are barfights broken noses better start being able to heal.
Will there be barfights that increase combat skills and train medical dwarves?
Most of the skills in DF are gained through use. So the presumable answer, is yes. As they'll be employed.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:15 am »

Will there be any leisure activities that consume the fort's supplies? For example, a dwarf might have knitting as a hobby and use up thread, or have a shell collection and take ownership of some of the shells in the stockpile.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 25, 2015, 01:08:59 am »

Will there be any leisure activities that consume the fort's supplies? For example, a dwarf might have knitting as a hobby and use up thread, or have a shell collection and take ownership of some of the shells in the stockpile.
They used to do something like this before the economy was turned off pending a recode. Dwarves would buy items they liked from shops. It meant some dwarves would fill their rooms with scepters or similar.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 25, 2015, 02:17:34 am »

But an elf in a dwarf fortress would still function like an elf in an elf fortress. If elves are to become permanent residents in dwarf fortresses, it will become theoretically possible to make a fort of nothing but elves if the starting dwarves die, so players can play as elves anyway. That means full functionality must exist for elves, else players doing this will be unable to get wood without resorting to cheap penis jokes.

Not quite, because an elf that is part of a Dwarven entity has Dwarven ethics, and presumably has access to the same technology and techniques. An elf (probably) doesn't know how to grow wood from birth, and even if they did Dwarven culture would likely view this ability as useless outside of a few niche applications.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 306