Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842009 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1290 on: February 01, 2015, 07:28:57 pm »

Water wasnt unsafe to drink, people drank booze because it tastes good, it was the coke of medieval times. Also the booze argument doesnt hold up if you have to make booze with water because you need some kind of base, so you will have all your heavy metals and stuff in your booze. With the alcohol concentrations of around 3-6% in beers you cant kill many of the natural bacteria that would settle in beer (actually for that effect you should go north of 20%) after its opened, thats why people added hops later (which we still need iirc) because it keeps the beer form spoiling..

Beer would not be safe on account of the alcohol, but because part of the process involves boiling the water you use for your base. Of course, they could just go ahead and boil their drinking water, but like you said, beer is tasty and since most brews would be very weak you could drink it all the time.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 01, 2015, 07:44:40 pm »

November report!

Well, we're back with more content full of meticulously researched detail!  Musical instruments and procedurally-generated art forms are next.  Then tabletop games for your dwarves to play!  Then artifacts and magic!

wat
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:40 pm »

it's february

eternaleye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 01, 2015, 09:26:12 pm »

Wouldn't as it is right now be the easiest way? I.E, there's a CREATURE_TILE/CASTE_TILE token which is used to assign tiles by number, so that a creature with tile 195 will have ├ as its tile (or with Unicode, Ã (assuming it uses base 10 instead of base 16 as it does now))

Well, it varies. First of all, moving to Unicode at all (if you're using actual unicode, and not just treating "any int below 0x10FFFF" as an encoding space for ids) would require sparse tilemaps - since the useful bits are scattered all over the codepoint space. That means one file per tile, if you want it to be any kind of usable.

If you integrate Pango support, then you don't need the tileset rewrite (you use fonts, and generate the pixmaps), but at the cost of one more library. If you want users to be able to substitute tiles with this, then either users get good at editing fonts (which may be workable), or you go to option 3:

Some mapping between Internal IDs and (Unicode) tile IDs, probably in a textual config file. You need internal ids, rather than just mapping one codepoint to another, to avoid aliasing issues (I want to map my custom creature to c and cats to the cat emoji; wat do? CREATURE_TILE/CASTE_TILE alone can't do this properly without modding the vanilla files, which someone who wants a drop-in mod would find disagreeable.). This is actually already sort of done for trees, as I understand it - so not a large leap to make. If you use the existing CREATURE_TILE/CASTE_TILE stuff as defaults, this mapping file can be pretty tiny.

However, once you're using Pango, then supporting full-on graphemes becomes almost trivial - you just map to strings rather than individual codepoints, and Pango handles the differences in rendering. You need to validate them to ensure you only use the first grapheme in the string, but Pango has helpers for that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:33:22 pm by eternaleye »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 01, 2015, 09:28:40 pm »

Quote from: Fieari
Will the new temples in fort mode tie into desecration and curses (in the initial release)?
Quote from: CaptainArchmage
With the addition of temples will the "defile the temple" night-creature creating event now be able to happen in our own fortresses?

He he he.

...I'm going to take that as a 'Yes'.

I rather hope that means "Yes, and it will be spectacular."

eternaleye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 01, 2015, 09:34:31 pm »

Quote from: Fieari
Will the new temples in fort mode tie into desecration and curses (in the initial release)?
Quote from: CaptainArchmage
With the addition of temples will the "defile the temple" night-creature creating event now be able to happen in our own fortresses?

He he he.

...I'm going to take that as a 'Yes'.

I rather hope that means "Yes, and it will be spectacular."

Well, tantrums are likely a good reason to want locking doors on your temples, at least. Also setting them far from stuff that might anger dwarves. (Tavern barfights? Gambling?)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 02, 2015, 12:09:51 am »

Well, tantrums are likely a good reason to want locking doors on your temples, at least. Also setting them far from stuff that might anger dwarves. (Tavern barfights? Gambling?)

Heretics? Gods who refuse to answer prayers? :p

Also holy crap ARTIFACTS! MAGIC! I was excited enough by temples & taverns!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 02, 2015, 02:42:00 am »

1.) Direct mapped to single codepoints
In this case, Toady'd be using it the same way he currently uses ASCII - one cell is one character; you just have a bigger menu to choose from. This might allow, say, ☭ for elves if Toady decided it. However, it could at least give us mechanisms as ⚙, the various arrows for minecart route designations (maybe ➿ for rollers?),  coffins as ⚰, a proper pick character in ⛏, chains ⛓...
Dammit even after i googled around, found and installed code2000, i still get error blocks instead of proper glyphs
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 02, 2015, 04:21:28 am »

Those show up fine on my phone, but not my computer.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 02, 2015, 06:05:27 am »

Don't get yourselves too excited about the mention of magic. It'll likely only be whatever is needed to support the artifact powers Toady is planning.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:38 am »

Good enough for me, I have wanted magic artifacts for ages, I came up with a hypothetical example let me go find it, it's somewhere in the fourms
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:30 am »

Finally, The One Ring, Thor's Hammer, The Singing Sword, The Golden Goblin of the Fourth Age, The Fountain of Youth, Sting (the short sword, not the singer) and many, many other things...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 02, 2015, 08:53:21 am »

Finally, The One Ring, Thor's Hammer, The Singing Sword, The Golden Goblin of the Fourth Age, The Fountain of Youth, Sting (the short sword, not the singer) and many, many other things...
The one pig tail sock!

Now that we will have temples, will we got a way to commision art works of a certain theme in demand? To be able to make
appropiate engravings and statues, without depending of the whims of the rng?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 02, 2015, 09:13:26 am »

Ahhh here it is,

I kinda want to have magic artifacts so I can have

(some DF language name here) deaththunder the snowing sparks

this is an magical artifact short sword. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. electricity courses through its blade.
it is made of silver and encircled with bands of gold opal. it menaces with spikes of gold. on the item is the image of a dwarf and (some god of lightning here) in silver. the (god of lightning) is smiting the dwarf.

the sword is considered sacred by the followers of (lightning god)

The Lightning God thing came from someone mentioning the possibility of holy artifacts.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 02, 2015, 09:28:45 am »

The one pig tail sock!
Three Pig Tail Socks for the smelly-tree hugger-kings under the sky,
Seven for the awesome Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, and magma, and vomit, and magma,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die eaten by a GCS,
One for the Dark Toad on his dark throne
In the Land of Armok where the Shadows lie.
One Sock to rule them all, One Sock to find them,
One Sock to bring them all* and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Armok where the Shadows lie.

*outside the fortress to be killed..
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:32:19 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 306